Blu-Ray is dead?
Oct 30, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #46 of 218
I have seen Bluray declared dead since it was late of the gate and more expensive than HD DVD. Then after it beat HD DVD, it was going to lose to downloads. I have a buddy with a Vudu box and the quality of HD downloads is nowhere near the quality of a Bluray movie. Also, the price to buy movies is not worth the trouble of running out of space on the machine. Hard drive space will continue to be an issue. You also lose features like "HD" audio. No thanks..

Many industries are suffering setbacks because of the economy. Let's try not to declare them all dead.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #47 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen Bluray declared dead since it was late of the gate and more expensive than HD DVD. Then after it beat HD DVD, it was going to lose to downloads. I have a buddy with a Vudu box and the quality of HD downloads is nowhere near the quality of a Bluray movie. Also, the price to buy movies is not worth the trouble of running out of space on the machine. Hard drive space will continue to be an issue. You also lose features like "HD" audio. No thanks..

Many industries are suffering setbacks because of the economy. Let's try not to declare them all dead.

HD space is slowly coming a thing of the past with 250ish dollar 2TB HD's.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #48 of 218
I must be weird, since I bought a PS3 FOR the Blu-Ray, figuring my teenage daughter could use the game side for her friends. We have Guitar Hero, pretty cool. I may get a shooter game or two, or Maddon 2009, whatever. But I own 4 DVD players, two upconverters (a Sony and a Toshiba) and I have to say, the Blu-Ray crushes the upconverting DVDs in PQ. The PS3 also does a nice job of upconverting the standard DVDs on my Hitatchi 42 plasma. Anyway, I will keep renting BR discs via Netflix and enjoy. Have a nice que of titles ready to go before Blu-Ray dies. After all, we are not talking about a $x,xxx investment here.

As for cheap players, the $399 PS3 tag seemed worth it for the game-playing thing. Better than paying $300 for a new Panny BR player, which has no game aspect to it, or some crappy off brand that fails in a month or two.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #49 of 218
Digital distribution will not surpass physical media among the mainstream in the near future. (Go to any AV forum, there are a lot of valid arguments) When it comes down to it, Joe the Plumber and Sarah the Palin are gonna find it simpler to just buy an actual disc, stick it in a player, and press start.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #51 of 218
Yeah, even highly compressing HD movies down to 8GB (anything less and the compression is apparent), it is only viable downloading at 5MB/s. Just that kind of transfer rate requires dedicated fibre infrastructure and non US-style business practice, so it isn't happening here anytime soon. Maybe in Japan, maybe. Cable companies balk at dropping $5 mil to upgrade, a pittance relative to their profits! FIOS is going in the right direction, however.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #52 of 218
When i say downloads i guess i mean more of On Demand services like Netflix and Comcast cept with monthly fees. With Netflix about to mix with Xbox 360 so you can stream any of the netflix on demand stuff and even HD junk and TV shows I feel that most people will end up payin a few $$$ a month and just "rent" digitally everything.

There will always be Physical media for ownership and stuffs but how many movies do you buy vs rent/steal/netflix/demand?

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #53 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, even highly compressing HD movies down to 8GB (anything less and the compression is apparent), it is only viable downloading at 5MB/s. Just that kind of transfer rate requires dedicated fibre infrastructure and non US-style business practice, so it isn't happening here anytime soon. Maybe in Japan, maybe. Cable companies balk at dropping $5 mil to upgrade, a pittance relative to their profits! FIOS is going in the right direction, however.

Word on the internets speed but with FIOS and such rolling out and Comcast even planning for 20MBit speeds and such it slowly becomes a quick growing possibility. Also ADSL2+ Line Mixing where you end up with FIOS speeds to very non FIOS areas.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #54 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it was pretty quick actually. I worked in sales in a video and music dept and the changeover was actually pretty quick and consumers were hip to the technology because it was vastly superior to VHS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the adoption of blu ray has thus far been quicker then the adoption that dvd had.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #55 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember how slow dvd was in the beginning? I'm pretty sure that blue ray will have it's time.

I'm with you. Who the hell is this guy, anyway? New technology takes time to catch on, and his attack at the cost of players and such...let's face it, we all said the same thing for CD, DVD...
DVD spelled the end of many small independent European filmmakers because they couldn't afford to master their work on DVD (they were still working with VHS). Now Blue Ray is set to do it again. All because studios want to sell us the same bland titles again and again...gah!
Yes, I'm done now.
popcorn.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #57 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the proud owner of a 65" DLP HDTV, I'm still happy with SD DVD's....why?

1. Price of players. Still too darn expensive for me. I'll wait until I can buy a Blu-Ray player for $100 or less.

How much did said 65" DLP HDTV cost? And you're not willing to spend a couple of extra hunnerd bucks to get a player that does it justice?

For me, it's just the price of the discs that's the choking point. I realise they're probably more expensive to manufacture/make at this point, due to the new hardware paying itself off and the greater care that needs to go into mastering. But the level of premium the discs are attracting is still prohibitive. Buying a couple of BD's is an expensive affair, where you could likely grab 4-5 DVD's for the same price, given how often they're on discount.

As for picture quality, I think some of you need to have your eyes checked, or check that you've plugged the right player in. Aside from the complete lack of artifacts (significant in itself, though some DVDs are coming out looking very good), the resolution difference is impossible not to notice. After having watched a few HD-DVDs on my 42" at 720p (so not even realising the disc's full potential), I now complain at the cinema that the picture is too fuzzy. And the best DVD's look like grainy, pixelly blobs. It's easily as big a step up as DVD was from VCR.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #58 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny you should ask.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mbriant...conversion.wmv

Well...

DSC_0002.JPG

1955 12" General Electric black and white, 13 tubes inside. With a couple pairs of DT48s and some 45s on top for good measure.

And owned by an audiophile who doesn't watch television.

It all makes sense, doesn't it?
icon10.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #59 of 218
BluRay is an unfinished product with several generations of standards. Leaving most early adopters out in the cold (unless they have firmware updateable players like a PS3).
BD Live updates debacle comes to mind.

Only reason BluRay won is because Sony paid through the nose to movie studios for exclusives. Sony will probably never turn a profit with BluRay, best case scenario is to break even. With floundering PS3 sales and horrible economy, it will be especially hard times for Sony ahead. Whether BluRay will survive remains to be seen.

If a viable downloadable alternative shows up within the next 2 years, BluRay is indeed doomed.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back