Blown driver or temporary ear damage?
Oct 10, 2011 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Carsonwen

Head-Fier
I put on my westone 2s with the foil e6 amp plugged into the bottom of my phone. Somehow I left the amp on full. I turn on the music and ......
I was playing on full blast for 7 seconds ( in my ear for 4)
While it was on full I heard nothing but crackling sounds as I think it is overpowering the westone 2s. After that, I found the music quiet. I didn't hear a noticeable difference in sq but I don't have super ears. I am wondering if it is quiet because of my ears or do I have a blown driver? Did I damage my iem or is my ear temporarily damaged?

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 4
I just did something similair with my set up, and it blasted my ears crackling and all, but it was only for a second or two cuz I was fiddling around and had my hands on the unit, when it happened 

and I thought the same thing, did I blow an eardrum or a driver? so I gave my ears a rest, and the next day things were back to normal, I thought maybe I blew a driver but if I had I think that would be more obvious, and it would have the crackling sound along with listening to it a normal levels, the only crackling I hear is with low quality recordings, but I never blew a driver so I can't comment on how that would sound?

but I have blown chunks, and NO chunks isn't the name of my dog, thank you very much! LOL,

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I put on my westone 2s with the foil e6 amp plugged into the bottom of my phone. Somehow I left the amp on full. I turn on the music and ......
I was playing on full blast for 7 seconds ( in my ear for 4)
While it was on full I heard nothing but crackling sounds as I think it is overpowering the westone 2s. After that, I found the music quiet. I didn't hear a noticeable difference in sq but I don't have super ears. I am wondering if it is quiet because of my ears or do I have a blown driver? Did I damage my iem or is my ear temporarily damaged?

The ear reacts to noise by becoming less sensitive as the noise gets louder,  you blast really loud stuff into it and the ear will cease to hear quieter sounds until it rebalances to a quieter consistant noise level.
wait a while and if your hearing doesn't come abck fully then worry.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 4
I have been blown before, does that count?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back