Blow the bank on TH900 or go opposite direction?
Jun 26, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 23
Just a quick tip: If you're looking for really strong bass, you'll want to boost it via EQ and use an amp. There's great info in this thread. (Notice how the TH900 is ranked #2.)

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club.716711/

(Also, in case you didn't know this, you need to reduce the gain in your player by at least the amount of your largest boost/cut to avoid distortion.)

I'm one of those guys who really want my equipment to be stock, which means no EQ, no changing of pads etc etc. I put my faith in the engineers behind the headphones to create something good and I don't want to mess with it. But its definitely positive that th900 is at #2 in that thread :) But I definitely wouldn't be getting them ONLY for the bass, I have some 30$ headphones with some silly amount of bass although muddy and one note that can blow my ears off.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 23
But its definitely positive that th900 is at #2 in that thread :)

To be more specific, that thread is about which headphones have the strongest bass impact under extreme conditions. (Heavy bass boosts and amplification strong enough to handle it.)

Without all that EQ, I thought of the TH900 as only somewhat bassier than neutral.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #18 of 23
To be more specific, that thread is about which headphones have the strongest bass impact under extreme conditions. (Heavy bass boosts and amplification strong enough to handle it.)

Without all that EQ, I thought of the TH900 as only somewhat bassier than neutral.

Interesting. Yeah I know the OP of that thread EQs everything to the max, but I've heard that TH900 has "the sickest" bass and much more than my D5Ks which certaintly CLEARLY outperforms my Fidelio X2s which are called bassy.. I don't even know what to believe anymore haha :)

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 23
So you know now? Basically pulling one in diffetent directions. Best save money then start asking cause you will get 10 different replies.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 23
So you know now? Basically pulling one in diffetent directions. Best save money then start asking cause you will get 10 different replies.

True, unfortunately the nature of my geographical position means that I have to move quick and decide quickly because used high end headphones are hard to come by, and importing is out of the question because of the ridiculous taxes. I've decided to get the TH900. Will be pulling the trigger next week

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 23
True, unfortunately the nature of my geographical position means that I have to move quick and decide quickly because used high end headphones are hard to come by, and importing is out of the question because of the ridiculous taxes. I've decided to get the TH900. Will be pulling the trigger next week
Let us know how you like it. ---)

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 23
20170510_112928.jpg

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #23 of 23
I think from what you've written that you'll enjoy the TH900s. I have a pair and they are tied with the LCD2s for my favorites. If they don't blow you away immediately, remember that they will sound better with the eventual amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back