Bloody Ebay!
Jun 27, 2005 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dommica

100+ Head-Fier
Ok.. so i sold my muvo2 4gb on ebay... the transaction all went smoothly and i was sitting content, £80 up.. when i recieve this email.

Quote:

Hey, the reason i havent left any feedback yet is because ive been incredibly busy - im going travelling for 7 months and have mucho to sort out b4 i go (which is actually tmrw!) Recieved the player fine, however the headphone socket has been damaged. It works fine if the headphones are pushed in fully and to the right however when they are just inserted the sound quality is terrible (highly tinny with no bass). I presume it was like this when u sent it to me, as it was well packaged and hence was very unlikely to have been damaged in such a way during transit. I did not want to leave u bad feedback without contacting you first, but as i said ive had a lot on my plate. Luckily i bid on two mp3 players and the other one i recieved was in perfect working order. Please could u contact me regarding this damage and how u would suggest that we resolve this problem,
Thanks
Nathan

I'm not kidding when i say it was working absolutely PERFECTLY just before i sent it off! What the hell do i say to this guy? Maybe he's just a bit audio illiterate.......lol. I really don't want to end up selling it again
frown.gif

Dom

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 23
Offer him a refund. Get the player back and test it, if the jack is messed up like he stated, get it repaired and sell it again.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 23
I know its ebay, but someone in his position of less integrity would have just left negative feedback without contacting you 1st. His reply seems genuine, and it seems like he's having a genuine problem with the headphone out. The kicker is that he wants to communicate with you about what to do next, somethng that signals a want to work together to resolve the issue, which is always a good thing.

Contact him, let him know that it was perfect when you shipped it out, as advertised on your ad, and ask him to try some different headphones, the jack might be oxidizing on his headphones and it might not be making full contact with the socket.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 23
There's also a chance it's his headphones. Have him try another pair. Sometimes if the wires around the jack get damaged, jiggling/moving them (such as forcing it to one side, as he did) will fix them temporarily.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 23
This seems a bit suspect to me, however, I think Gloco is absolutely right. Offer a refund and get the product back.

This is a no win situation for you, but the best thing is to undo the transaction.

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks guys... I'm just thinking he may of bid on the two of them hoping that he'd only end up with 1, so he chooses the nicest one, and tries to get a refund for the not so good 1........i dunno it just seems a bit iffy. His all too convinient "7 month trip" HAS to be tomorrow awell
confused.gif

Dom

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 23
I agree with you, dom, the 7 month road trip "tomorrow" does sound moody. He's kinda got you by the nads though.. you can't prove it WAS perfect (don't get me wrong, I believe you, you are a head-fier after all..), and he might have done something untoward to make the jack not work properly so CAN prove that it doesn't work now. Or am I just being cynical ?

I'm going for a nap.
mad.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 23
It does sound a little iffy and certainly a nuisance, having said that it is possible for even a well packed item that arrives in unbroken packaging to be damaged by being thrown about enthusiastically. Imagine a CD player in original packaging dropped 6 feet, the box would probably not show any effect. If your feedback rating is important to you I suggest the following.

Offer a refund , payable when you receive the player back. If the guy is trying it on you will probably hear nothing more. If it does come back you are only out by shipping and if it had been fiddled with it is probably possible to see evidence that it has been taken apart such as wear on screw heads and so on..

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 23
very fishy.. I would say he bidded on two items and got two of them but only wanted one. so he is trying to get rid of one of them. Even if you receive and test the player, which is fine, you cant contact him anymore because he is on the trip..

another possibility would be, he has mistaken the one bought from the other seller for yours.

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 23
I think what i'm going to do is be as nice to him as possible, but at the same time make it really hard and a nuisence for him to post it back to me.....I can't help but be cynical in a situation like this!
Dom

EDIT: To add the suspiciousness, he was a first time buyer... for all whos interested here's his feedback, I've already mistakenly given him posistive feedback! http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...=STRK:MESO:UFS

EDIT EDIT(lol):To add furthermore to the already massive suspiciousness, notice how it's the more expensive of the two which has mysteriously "got a fault"!

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dommica
To add the suspiciousness, he was a first time buyer...

Well, we all were at some point. That's not necessarily indicative of foul play... However I do still think that this is decidedly dodgy...

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dommica
EDIT: To add the suspiciousness, he was a first time buyer... for all whos interested here's his feedback, I've already mistakenly given him posistive feedback! http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...=STRK:MESO:UFS

EDIT EDIT(lol):To add furthermore to the already massive suspiciousness, notice how it's the more expensive of the two which has mysteriously "got a fault"!

He bought yours 18 minutes before he bought the other one. I would explain to him that a sale is binding, there is nothing wrong with the unit and it's not your fault he bought two. Tell him you're seriously thinking about reporting him (not that you can).

If you have to take a negative, then leave an explanation after it. This is a good example of why a seller should NOT leave feedback until the buyer does. The sale is not over till the buyer is happy and leaves feedback saying that. Now you're getting screwed over with no chance to leave a negative. If you want to resell it to save a negative, then do that and learn to save your feedback as a lesson.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 23
Definitely ask the person to test the Muvo 4gb with different headphones. If you are certain the jack was in perfectly good condition when you sold it to him/her, you don't want to end up refunding a player that was broken by the shipper/buyer.

I understand how frustrating it is to not get feedback on a flawless transaction. It's happened to me almost a dozen times already, and I've started to just not provide feedback on some transactions until maybe a week later.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 23
7 month trip - urgency, unusual defect, bidding on two items - price difference, new member... Don't you think thats just too many bad coincidences at the same time?

Its up to you to decide what more important, your rating or loss, but I think (I hope I'm wrong) that even if its not damaged, he will damage it just to prove his side.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 23
Wow! You're certainly in a debockle!
eek.gif
I would suggest just letting him get the meanest of your personality. After all, what's one negative feedback? You can respond to the feedback anyway, so you can explain afterwards that the guy was trying to rip you off. It's unfortunate that this happened!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back