Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #4,921 of 6,129
What about the other type of tips that are included? On my Blons, they include 2 different types of tips. One is that cone shaped one, and the other is a more traditional type. I wonder how you’d like the other one flipped?

Forgot which one.

D80387F6-D0CA-4940-85DA-CF928B9546EB.jpeg

The one on right came with the bl-01?

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #4,923 of 6,129
After a night of listening I can confirm a close to perfect correction on how the inverted tips change the bass. That leading transient slow edge is now totally gone. What’s left is a lightning fast.......repositioned (dream) bass. These now sound like the isolated bass you have with the HD800 openbacks? Or even that floating positional bass in the k701?

The imaging is now spreading out both the treble and midrange frequencies and adding detail somehow? This is by far the closest a $23 IEM has come to a $2000 flagship in all my years here. While not really perfect it’s such an amazing experience. As mentioned a night of listening is furnished with those rewind moments where you just have to roll back the song and relive the sounds as they are hard to believe on one listen.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #4,924 of 6,129
After a night of listening I can confirm a close to perfect correction on how the inverted tips change the bass. That leading transient slow edge is now totally gone. What’s left is a lightning fast.......repositioned (dream) bass. These now sound like the isolated bass you have with the HD800 openbacks? Or even that floating positional bass in the k701?

The imaging is now spreading out both the treble and midrange frequencies and adding detail somehow? This is by far the closest a $23 IEM has come to a $2000 flagship in all my years here. While not really perfect it’s such an amazing experience. As mentioned a night of listening is furnished with those rewind moments where you just have to roll back the song and relive the sounds as they are hard to believe on one listen.

Are you using EQ too? Or just the inverted tips?

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #4,925 of 6,129
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #4,926 of 6,129
54EF9A62-E6F9-451E-9E20-EDF366C826DA.jpeg

Well it turns out the DAP is playing a big part in the sound. Going Colibri/Mac to the ancient DACMagic Plus to Asgard One was about 40%-60% the same as the DAP. I would have thought way better? Still totally great and impressive though? :)

The desktop shows all the same corrected sound signature from the inverted tips.

Yet I feel the DAPs are doing something......even the 1A with MK2 in “J” region was close to the 1Z.......not exactly, but close.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #4,930 of 6,129
Bl-01 arrived this afternoon finally... I wanted to try it in stock form with stock tips to establish a baseline.. First off, They fit my ears like they were custom made using the Large stock tips... Decent seal... Out of my cheap Samsung phone.. Omgoodness!!! These sound sublime!! No external amping... All frequencies are present with no overlapping.. Very clear, open and Detailed.. Bass quantity is just right! Quality is good... Not as much as the 03 but that is a good thing imo..very balanced sounding.. All of this is straight out of the box... I thought that @Redcarmoose was exaggerating a bit but boy was I wrong and he is right! I'm a bit afraid to mess with these but looking forward to what they will sound like with some amping, flipped tips and an spc cable as suggested by Clear... And a dap... It's a bit unbelievable but this is what I'm hearing.... Peace

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #4,931 of 6,129
I probably missed this, but has anyone checked to see if there is a nylon mesh behind the grills on the BL01? Has anyone tried doing a mesh mod?

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #4,933 of 6,129
I probably missed this, but has anyone checked to see if there is a nylon mesh behind the grills on the BL01? Has anyone tried doing a mesh mod?

haven't checked it yet, but given the way it sounds on the mids and treble, removing it might not be such a good idea (if there were nylon mesh there)

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #4,934 of 6,129
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/benaudio.529105/

Well, it’s a highly complicated thing. Think of the results from moving an earbud around outside your ear. Now with that in mind try to establish a theory of what would happen if the tip mod made an almost infinitely different way for the bell part of the tip to interface with the outside of your ear canal.

At this point my ideas are related to

1) shape of BL-01
2) size of inverted tip
3) actually shape of listener’s ears (distance from driver to eardrum)

So between all those things a fit will take place. Still there are many points to consider. Though when correct the IEM tip will sit in a place and the sound will never change in relation to outside finger force attempts to move air-tight fit.

Also there always has to be the question of manufacturing tolerance? :)

In short, keep trying tips.

Of course other variables would be actual acoustic properties of inner ear shape and the resulting frequencies found. And......

1) The DAP/cable

2) The desired sound signature wanted.

The process can’t be generalized due to the whole thing being just as complicated as regular IEM tips; if not way more?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #4,935 of 6,129
haven't checked it yet, but given the way it sounds on the mids and treble, removing it might not be such a good idea (if there were nylon mesh there)
You're supposed to replace the mesh with something that has equal acoustic impedance while leaving airflow as unrestricted as possible, or so I understand.

Unfortunately I don't have a good camera to show this off properly, but I cut a piece of toilet paper and wrapped the entire inside of the nozzle, leaving the middle free. This would probably work even better with cotton sheet, but I don't have any at hand.

So I don't have the proper cotton sheet...
IMG_20201031_225432.jpg

So I used toilet paper in the meantime. As far as I can tell is sounding less upper mid/treble forward with this paper while air restriction is insignificant.

Although I imagine this is only a substitute until I can buy the real thing.

Edit: Should this filter be as tall as the nozzle itself? I think I made mine 1mm short of covering the entire nozzle height.

Unfortunately no phone or camera I've ever used for that matter seems to be equipped with a lens what may result in a clear image again, but yeah that is supposed to be toilet paper covering the inside of the nozzle.

And also from another thread this is currently what I use on the BL-03, which my impressions haven't changed any since.
IMG_20201006_224918.jpg

Look what finally arrived since it was ordered on early June.

Now I have a cable that doesn't tug the BL-03 out of my ears anymore. Together with the tips you see here, any fit issues I had with the BL-03 are straight up GONE. So not sure if anyone will believe me but my BL-03 fit is actually good now.

The sad part probably is that is not that this cable stands out in any way so much as the BL-03's stock cable being essentially garbage tier.

It also feels like a heavier, slightly more rigid shoe lace, so I had some oddly satisfying time twirling it and twisting it around before actually plugging them in.

It's also quite a bit heavier than stock cable. It's still light enough that once I trigger zen mode, I'll forget there's a cable hanging over my ears.

However I haven't found the bag where I keep my stock BLON tips along with ALL the tips I've salvaged from my dead IEMs so far, in fact the tips I use now are salvaged from a dead pair because hardwired LOL.

As soon as I get my hands on them I'll promise you all I'll experiment flipping them all to see if any of them can somehow top the ones I use already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back