Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #4,652 of 6,129
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #4,654 of 6,129
Crazing is that white residue that you see around the spot where you glued with cyanoacrylate glue. The curing process causes vapors to deposit glue/ chemical crystal reside on nearby surfaces.

While this may not be a problem when fixing the handle on grannies and grampies broken ceramic coffee mug, you don’t want that glue residue near your earphone drivers.

My personal recommendation is to never use superglue on headphones and earphones. There’s way too many other (better) adhesive choices with audio gear that are totally safe.

I totally agree with Slater: CA (crazy) glues are over-used and generally MIS-used, although popular. I also build RC planes, and having a dozen or so types of glues, and knowing exactly what to use for the intended purpose, substance, etc. is very important.
Interestingly, law enforcement/csi also use CA fumes in a sealed chamber to get fingerprints to form (show up well) on objects.
But it's just nasty stuff on electronics.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #4,655 of 6,129
When you say smooth could you elaborate? Do you mean too flat?

No, i think its something in the timbre of the mids, really notice it with female vocals, the tops to kick drums etc, and maybe the lessened bass impact. They're not flat, they're also not bad at all, in fact quite the opposite. Don't misconstrue my criticism of them. I do prefer the 03, even with it's tubby bass, the tone is warmer overall, i would almost call the 01 a bit clinical.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #4,656 of 6,129
graph.png

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #4,657 of 6,129
Just bought the Blon-01 and compared to 03, it seems bland - like eating an oatmeal without any toppings. Maybe because of the neutral sound sig. but I don't know, it seems to me that I've been spoiled by KZ-ZAX, Blon-03 and TRN v90. Also, I noticed that the volume is too low compared to those 3, does Blon-01 require amping to bring out its full potential?

I heard also that for Blon series, using Silver cables is recommended, right now its attached to Nicehck C16-3 cable. Will I be able to hear palpable improvement to sound quality?
I thought the same compared to the 03, but after some burn in and a cable upgrade, I'm enjoying the 01 alot more now. I'm using a balanced KBEAR Rhyme cable on this set. And YES...Imho, amping makes a huge difference...although I'm not sure why. The 03 which I own, are 32 ohm/102 db sensitivity. The 01 is supposedly 16 ohm/102 db sensitivity. The 01 should be easier to drive based on the specs; yet in my real life experience with 2 different dac/amps...the 01 needs more power. Imho, an amp is definitely required.

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #4,658 of 6,129
I thought the same compared to the 03, but after some burn in and a cable upgrade, I'm enjoying the 01 alot more now. I'm using a balanced KBEAR Rhyme cable on this set. And YES...Imho, amping makes a huge difference...although I'm not sure why. The 03 which I own, are 32 ohm/102 db sensitivity. The 01 is supposedly 16 ohm/102 db sensitivity. The 01 should be easier to drive based on the specs; yet in my real life experience with 2 different dac/amps...the 01 needs more power. Imho, an amp is definitely required.

Thanks for confirming 👍, I think I still have my FiiO E11 portable amp somewhere among the drawers, time to wake up that old man and hope it can drive the 01 😁

Been wondering about the balanced cables, but right now I don't have the equipment for it. As right now I'm on smartphone only setup (K30 Pro Zoom) 😅

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #4,660 of 6,129
Can I find the Violator73 DIY 16 BA on taobao?
Can't say for sure but seems unlikely due to violator73 being Singaporean so I can only assume the only way to access his wares is https://www.carousell.sg/violator73/

Can this site even ship globally? I wonder.

Also everyone seems to talk about BLONs like they're extremely power inefficient... Yet my BL-03 is the absolute easiest headgear to drive I've ever owned. My lowly Y9 Prime can drive it to threshold of pain levels if I really wanted to...

Edit: Did it once by accident... Hopefully never again. yanked my BL-03 out of my ears in panic.

Edit 2: but then again my BL-03 look like
1606906926238.png

So who knows, maybe this made them easier to drive... And probably counts as cheating.

Edit 4: Typo.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #4,661 of 6,129
="RyuzakiL26, post: 16011838, member: 521497"

Been wondering about the balanced cables, but right now I don't have the equipment for it. As right now I'm on smartphone only setup (K30 Pro Zoom) 😅

Unless you have equipment specifically meant for balanced cables, or your cable length is extremely long you do not need a balanced cable. A shorter unbalanced will generally have a strong signal and not pick up enough interference for you to hear anyways. Lastly these iems are pretty low power relatively.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #4,662 of 6,129

Same here, cable, Azla tips and some more power. I will try the Rhyme but the Limpid looks great on the 01 as it did on the 05S.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #4,663 of 6,129

Grab your pop corn and riot shields, i have a Tri Through cable coming for mine. The stock blon cable measured something like 1.7ohms from memory, will be interesting to see if the Through changes anything given how open the 01s sound already.

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #4,664 of 6,129
Grab your pop corn and riot shields, i have a Tri Through cable coming for mine. The stock blon cable measured something like 1.7ohms from memory, will be interesting to see if the Through changes anything given how open the 01s sound already.
Please post your thoughts when you get it. Sorry for my ignorance but can you elaborate on the cost and construction of the Through? Is it copper or silver or a SPC hybrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back