Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #4,576 of 6,129
Blon BL-01($23) vs Sony IER-Z1R ($1,690 on BF sale)

Tonality wise Sony is mild v-shaped with a bass boost. Z1R is coherent for hybrid setup but BL-01 with a single DD sounds more cohesive. High string timbre is more accurate on Blon where as low stringed instruments sound tonally more correct on Z1R. Woodwinds also sounds bit more accurate on the Bl-01. Now keep in mind I am just casually comparing the two out of my iPhone tonight; not on my dedicated DAC nor DAPs. Technicalities are not as a wide gap as I thought for the classical music. I feel Z1R’s depressed upper Mids really take away many textures from violin section where Blon has no problem extracting and showcases all here. This in turn evens out some of BL-01’s resolution deficiencies. Z1R sounds bit distant compared to the BL-01 as it’s not properly driven. Imaging is much better on Z1R even on my phone and instrumental separation is noticeably better. Musicality wise both are equally enjoyable.

I think you should spend a few more dollars, and get the Sony. :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #4,579 of 6,129
IMG_20201128_181923.jpg

What's the best adhesive in my loose situation hahaha

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #4,580 of 6,129
87E74240-ABFF-4BDE-A324-65862E6B850C.jpeg

Blon BL-01($23) vs Sony IER-Z1R ($1,690 on BF sale)

Tonality wise Sony is mild v-shaped with a bass boost. Z1R is coherent for hybrid setup but BL-01 with a single DD sounds more cohesive. High string timbre is more accurate on Blon where as low stringed instruments sound tonally more correct on Z1R. Woodwinds also sounds bit more accurate on the Bl-01. Now keep in mind I am just casually comparing the two out of my iPhone tonight; not on my dedicated DAC nor DAPs. Technicalities are not as a wide gap as I thought for the classical music. I feel Z1R’s depressed upper Mids really take away many textures from violin section where Blon has no problem extracting and showcases all here. This in turn evens out some of BL-01’s resolution deficiencies. Z1R sounds bit distant compared to the BL-01 as it’s not properly driven. Imaging is much better on Z1R even on my phone and instrumental separation is noticeably better. Musicality wise both are equally enjoyable.

D7FEBFD4-BC1F-4736-8D91-F118DCCD0E79.jpeg

Phone isn’t the best for the IER, but I’ll have a BL-01 shortly to mimic your methodology.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #4,582 of 6,129
IMG_20201128_181923.jpg

What's the best adhesive in my loose situation hahaha

Anything but superglue. That way, the ‘crazing’ fumes don’t damage the diaphragm.

Make sure you scrape/peel off the old glue around the edge before applying the new glue.

I’d recommend 5-minute 2 part epoxy. A small amount spread around the lip with a toothpick should be all that’s needed.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #4,583 of 6,129
Anything but superglue. That way, the ‘crazing’ fumes don’t damage the diaphragm.

Make sure you scrape/peel off the old glue around the edge before applying the new glue.

I’d recommend 5-minute 2 part epoxy. A small amount spread around the lip with a toothpick should be all that’s needed.

Noted Sir Slater, will try to find that 2 part epoxy at the local hardware store. I'm already itching 'bout superglue earlier though I know it'll be a wet mess hahaha.

So there's an old glue? Where? At the 3 inside hole connectors?

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #4,584 of 6,129
Well they're metal.. better get the arc welder on to it.... or alternatively B7000 if you've got it and failing that superglue if you're careful. How did it happen? Were they lose to start with?

Mmm that B7000 is an another comparison to consider thanks, a drop made that happen months ago though I can easily snap it back until now... Might burn the driver if a welding attempt is done haha

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #4,585 of 6,129
Noted Sir Slater, will try to find that 2 part epoxy at the local hardware store. I'm already itching 'bout superglue earlier though I know it'll be a wet mess hahaha.

So there's an old glue? Where? At the 3 inside hole connectors?

I can see what looks like the old glue here. It should peel off in a long strip fairly easily

E8D8F68F-87B8-4445-AD00-8B3B450E3C96.jpeg

If not, I guess don’t worry about it, and just put the new glue on the 3 holes.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #4,586 of 6,129
Does this mean BL-01 and BL-03 are within unit variance of each other?

Edit: And also that there's no wrong choice when it comes to BLON?
No wrong choice, really. The BLON BL03 has an excellent V-shape fun signature that's more inviting than one would think, while the BL01 has more of an overall balanced signature that's also excellent and inviting for a slightly more mature listening experience! They are both different enough to own both and enjoy!

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #4,587 of 6,129
No wrong choice, really. The BLON BL03 has an excellent V-shape fun signature that's more inviting than one would think, while the BL01 has more of an overall balanced signature that's also excellent and inviting for a slightly more mature listening experience! They are both different enough to own both and enjoy!
Phew! I last saw someone trashing the BL-01 when I was here last and was a bit worried - I've been listening to them now for about an hour and out of the box they are excellent, smooth, musical, engaging on Opera, Classical, Folk Music - I haven't tried any Rock yet.

Very happy the BL-01 is a better fit than the BLON BL-03 as well. Its not as good of a fit as the BLON BL-05, but the BL-01 shape is balanced enough to rest easy - if not solidly in my ears. I had switched from a listening session with the giant KZ ASX and so the BL-01 is slowly becoming more stable as time goes on - and my ears recover from the ASX :)

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #4,589 of 6,129
I'll probably have to look up 'crazing fumes' but thats good to know to avoid super glue when it comes to headphones.

Crazing is that white residue that you see around the spot where you glued with cyanoacrylate glue. The curing process causes vapors to deposit glue/ chemical crystal reside on nearby surfaces.

While this may not be a problem when fixing the handle on grannies and grampies broken ceramic coffee mug, you don’t want that glue residue near your earphone drivers.

My personal recommendation is to never use superglue on headphones and earphones. There’s way too many other (better) adhesive choices with audio gear that are totally safe.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #4,590 of 6,129
So, right now, the BL01, BL03, and the BL05s (aka the Blonana, the Blob, and the Hulk) are the BLONs to consider getting? I’ll have to try out the BL01 eventually. Just too many new IEMs to listen to right now.

“My personal recommendation is to never use superglue on headphones and earphones. There’s way too many other (better) adhesive choices with audio gear that are totally safe.”
Very good to know. Thanks Professor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back