Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jun 3, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #3,347 of 6,129
My BL-05 has arrived, took only 13 days and it's bundled with some free extras, namely, a much nicer cable, some foamies and a small (fake) velvet carry pouch. :)

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #3,348 of 6,129
My BL-05 has arrived, took only 13 days and it's bundled with some free extras, namely, a much nicer cable, some foamies and a small (fake) velvet carry pouch. :)
Hope you enjoy. As I've got used to them and not comparing them I am starting to like them a lot. I'm sure they will divide opinions, but they have some good qualities. I got them with an unexpected 8 or 16 core (I think) yellow cable.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #3,349 of 6,129
Hope you enjoy. As I've got used to them and not comparing them I am starting to like them a lot. I'm sure they will divide opinions, but they have some good qualities. I got them with an unexpected 16 core (think) yellow cable.

I'm used to them already and It's safe to say I like them a fair deal more than the 03.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #3,350 of 6,129
*** NEWS FLASH ***

I discovered something about the BL-03 today, that was previously unknown by the community.

I was carefully examining the BL-03, and I noticed that there is a fully functional bass vent right at the 2-pin plug.

This bass vent can get COVERED UP and sealed when the stock cable is used (or a banned brand that makes an upgrade cable using the stock plug ends):

However, when a generic 2-pin cable is used, the bass vent is fully UNCOVERED. This is due to the way the generic cable sits on top of the stock socket.

I tested this with different cables, and sure enough there is a difference. This difference is not due to the cable itself, but rather the vent being covered vs uncovered. I think this can explain at least why some people were hearing different BL-03 tuning, the (untrue) rumors of the different colors sounding different, etc. Some people said it had too much low end, others said it was too little, etc.

You can even test this with the stock cable, by partially unplugging the stock cable so that it unseals the vent. This proves that a stock vs 'upgrade' cable is not reason, but rather the bass vent.

The BL-05 has no such bass vent, and there is significant difference in the quantity of bass between the BL-03 vs BL-05:

Sure, the BL-05 uses a different shell and newer generation of driver, which does have some influence on the difference between the BL-05 vs BL-03. But the lack of bass vent on the BL-05 is a significant contributor on the BL-05 having less low end vs the BL-03.
Thanks for the insight.

TFZ cable
Blon wTFZ.jpg

I was contemplating filing down the pins, for a flush fit. But I guess, I'll leave well enough alone.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #3,351 of 6,129
Thanks for the insight.

TFZ cable

I was contemplating filing down the pins, for a flush fit. But I guess, I'll leave well enough alone.

Yeah, it’s looking like the NX7/TFZ style cable is the best for the BL-03. It’s the only upgrade cable that fits ‘flush’ yet allows the bass vent to function properly.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #3,352 of 6,129
This may have been said before, I probably said it before but I forgot. Who wants to splice BL-05's bass and BL-03's treble into a single IEM? I think mesh filter mod with the band aid tape on BL-03 kinda does this but I'm not sure. Would that be considered too mid forward?

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #3,354 of 6,129
The BL-05 does have a nice soundstage and separation. It extends out to the side and the warmth complements it.

Going to see if KZ tips or Spiral Dots tweak the upper treble a bit.
That's what I like about the Blon 05.....the soundstage. Good imaging too. I am getting used to the tuning which is fairly unique.
I use Spiral Dots and they work well for me.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #3,355 of 6,129
Jun 4, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #3,356 of 6,129
That's what I like about the Blon 05.....the soundstage. Good imaging too. I am getting used to the tuning which is fairly unique.
I use Spiral Dots and they work well for me.

Ditto on the Large Spiral Dots.. Stuck some o rings on just for ha ha's.. Little better fit and yes imo did tame the highs a bit without sacrificing bass quantity/quality.. Cleaner than the 03..enjoying the sound signature now and a good alternative to the 03 signature which I also love.. Was thinking about sending them back to Amazon in the first couple of days but they are growing on me... Very comfortable also.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #3,357 of 6,129
Ditto on the Large Spiral Dots.. Stuck some o rings on just for ha ha's.. Little better fit and yes imo did tame the highs a bit without sacrificing bass quantity/quality.. Cleaner than the 03..enjoying the sound signature now and a good alternative to the 03 signature which I also love.. Was thinking about sending them back to Amazon in the first couple of days but they are growing on me... Very comfortable also.
Haven't got any O rings, so I did the same barrel extender trick as we do on the Blon 03 and cut slivers of a couple of old tip barrels and put them on the Blon 05 before I put on the Spiral Dot L. Definitely changed the sound signature by deepening the fit. Gonna do some listening with this better fit.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #3,359 of 6,129
Super late to the oppoty party, but finally tried out the BL03 and I guess it was everything that I expected. The cable is ok once the hook is removed (which is a pain in the ass) and no issues with fit; either a shallow fit with large tips or deep with medium tips used with an extender. Preferred sound of shallow fit and it sounds good.

Excellent tonally aside from that treble spike which can be a bit fatiguing. Bass quantity is near perfect for my taste. Mids maybe a tad dry, but nothing major wrong there either. Soundstage is biggest pet peeve: while the width and depth are above average, it sounds somehow very artificial and flat. Kinda like the music is coming from speakers instead of playing played by a band... or something, it's difficult to describe.

Overall great value, difficult to recommend though because of the cable issues.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #3,360 of 6,129
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000250862869.html?spm=a219c.12057483.1000001.8.3b1b40ec8qVGNd

Wonder if these would make any difference in sound over the more standard mesh on the BL-03... assuming these can be put on anyway.
I think thats the same kind of mesh I used on my modded blons . I feel there's no need to add any dampers in the tube or at the backside of the mesh to "tame" the lower treble and mids. They are already perfect as is. Maybe because the holes are fewer and farther apart compared to the orginal grills.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_113056__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20200516_113056__01__01.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200516_114033__01.jpg
    IMG_20200516_114033__01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200516_114708__01.jpg
    IMG_20200516_114708__01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back