Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
May 17, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #3,121 of 6,129
The ThieAudio Legacy 3 is perhaps an “upgrade” to the BL03. Ultimately, it’s different, but it has a similar tuning with better technicalities. I like it better than my BL03.

The king is not really dead, so long as BLON continues to sell the BL03.

May 17, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #3,122 of 6,129
Possibly some sources you use are warmer than the others, so perhaps that explains why u get less piercing highs on the note 9 vs the ipad air 3.

I don't have the BL-05, but perhaps to tame the treble, u can try narrower bore silicone eartips on it, this generally boosts the bass, and since we hear the frequency spectrum as a whole, we will perceive the treble to be tamed relative to the boosted bass. EQ is another option, or using foam tips, to tame the treble. Even playing the music at a softer volume (Fletcher Munson Curve) may also make the sound less V shaped and more U shaped (hence lowering the perceived treble).
It’s a possibility. Like I said I am still new and just giving my observation to see if someone could explain to me. You have done a great job. Thanks for the suggestions you have given me to try. I have a M11 on order and when it comes in I’ll tinker with BL-05 some more. I just wish they would of used the 5 housing on the 3 internals.

May 17, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #3,123 of 6,129
The ThieAudio Legacy 3 is perhaps an “upgrade” to the BL03. Ultimately, it’s different, but it has a similar tuning with better technicalities. I like it better than my BL03.

The king is not really dead, so long as BLON continues to sell the BL03.
Thanks, I look into that. On the other hand, I still didn't try blon 03 but my blon 05 is coming next week. I'm still hoping that I will like it since I like aggressive and bright iem's like co donguri and trinity audio using gold filter undamped. Hehe

May 17, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #3,124 of 6,129
It’s a possibility. Like I said I am still new and just giving my observation to see if someone could explain to me. You have done a great job. Thanks for the suggestions you have given me to try. I have a M11 on order and when it comes in I’ll tinker with BL-05 some more. I just wish they would of used the 5 housing on the 3 internals.

Yep good luck, at the end of the day, u can always EQ the upper mids/treble down as a last resort.

The IEM shell shape, shell material, nozzle length/diameter and damping materials all affect an IEM's sound signature and resonances to some extent, so I suspect they may have to retune the whole BLON BL-03 if they put it in a BL-05 housing. Though definitely if u say the BL-05's fit is excellent, if they can transplant the BL-03 drivers into the BL-05's shell and retain the same tuning (and possibly tame the midbass bleed), they'll have a big winner.

May 17, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #3,125 of 6,129
At this price, I don’t expect amazing technicalities. That aside, if they just toned down the mid bass a little bit, and kept the rest of the BL03 tuning, and placed it in the BL05 shell, I think it would‘ve been another major hit. Alas, the enemy of great is trying to make it “better”.

May 17, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #3,126 of 6,129
Yep good luck, at the end of the day, u can always EQ the upper mids/treble down as a last resort.

The IEM shell shape, shell material, nozzle length/diameter and damping materials all affect an IEM's sound signature and resonances to some extent, so I suspect they may have to retune the whole BLON BL-03 if they put it in a BL-05 housing. Though definitely if u say the BL-05's fit is excellent, if they can transplant the BL-03 drivers into the BL-05's shell and retain the same tuning (and possibly tame the midbass bleed), they'll have a big winner.
Oh the fit is great for me. I give them top marks for the housing design. i Am just shocked sound from them is so troublesome When the BL03 was such a hit. You have been a great help.

May 17, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #3,128 of 6,129
graph (2).png

Somewhat similar?

May 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,129 of 6,129
graph (2).png
Somewhat similar?
Interesting. I've never forked out for an etymotic. I have the bl-05 in my ears right now, using em with a bass boost, and I'm getting used to them now. I think they are clearer sounding than the 03, in the upper mids and treble even with a bass boost.

Anyone who owns both care to chime in?

May 17, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #3,130 of 6,129

Somewhat similar?

Not really. The peak shifted from 2KHz to 2.5KHz alone will change the tonality of the upper-mids. Most importantly, none of the lower treble peaks inherent to the BL-05 is there on the ER2XR. These presence region boosting is what's divisive about the BL-05.

May 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,131 of 6,129
I've just tried my blon bl-05 in one ear and a my kz zs10 pro in the other, and they sound almost the same. Snare drums sound slightly better on the blons. And the isolation is very slightly worse. In mono of course. The blon was in my dominant ear.
graph.png

May 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,132 of 6,129
Interesting. I've never forked out for an etymotic. I have the bl-05 in my ears right now, using em with a bass boost, and I'm getting used to them now. I think they are clearer sounding than the 03, in the upper mids and treble even with a bass boost.

Anyone who owns both care to chime in?

They are different enough from the Blon 03 that they need getting used to. I agree they are cleaner than the 03 in the treble and mids, but a little thinner overall. They miss that little, 'Je ne sais quoi', that little magic. But overall I do like them. I quite like the Blon 03 very present bass more than the Blon 05 bass. So although the Blon 05 is good, generally it is not an upgrade enough.

May 17, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #3,133 of 6,129
They are different enough from the Blon 03 that they need getting used to. I agree they are cleaner than the 03 in the treble and mids, but a little thinner overall. They miss that little, 'Je ne sais quoi', that little magic. But overall I do like them. I quite like the Blon 03 very present bass more than the Blon 05 bass. So although the Blon 05 is good, generally it is not an upgrade enough.
I can definitely imagine some people preferring the tuning of the 05 over the 03, but the tuning doesn’t seem as “magical” as the 03 for the masses. On the other hand, many can justify owning both of them since they’re different. Maybe this was their thinking?

May 17, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #3,134 of 6,129
I can definitely imagine some people preferring the tuning of the 05 over the 03, but the tuning doesn’t seem as “magical” as the 03 for the masses. On the other hand, many can justify owning both of them since they’re different. Maybe this was their thinking?

My guess is that their thinking was to reduce bass a bit as the main criticism of the BL-03 was that it has too much bass/warmth.

May 17, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #3,135 of 6,129
My guess is that their thinking was to reduce bass a bit as the main criticism of the BL-03 was that it has too much bass/warmth.

Which misses why the 03 was so special in the first place. It's technically not great. But lord it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back