Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Mar 16, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #2,716 of 6,129
Cannot relocate the posts dealing with this earlier, so may I ask if someone could possibly advise an incompetent how one goes about removing that tiny wee filter in order to peek inside and see if something materially alien is really causing the right earpiece to fail? I take one look at that miniscule territory and think OOOER, if I touch that I will surely destroy what's inside...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #2,718 of 6,129
Hf452ed98044943f991c04ec3af6b9e30q.jpg

I spoke to an Aliexpress seller, BLON BL-05 should be releasing in April 2020.

Price TBC. Supposedly 7-layers ceramic piezoelectric + 10mm CNT unibody dynamic driver.

This is just my conjecture, but I think those that are expecting a direct successor to the BLON BL-03 might need to be mentally prepared the tuning may be pretty different from the single DD BL-03. Of the piezos I've heard, they tend to give better details in the treble, but most piezos require amping to fufill their true potential. And the piezos tend to sound more "brittle" and harsh, with not as good timbre as a pure DD setup.

But let's see how it turns out, the BL-03 already skewed our perception of what a sub $30 set can do, so the BL-05 is in an uneviable position in that it carries the same "BLON" goodwill and anticipation, but is a so called successor that techically should be better than the BL-03. Hard to live up to, I do wish them the best though. LET MUSIC BURN!!!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #2,719 of 6,129
Hf452ed98044943f991c04ec3af6b9e30q.jpg

I spoke to an Aliexpress seller, BLON BL-05 should be releasing in April 2020.

Price TBC. Supposedly 7-layers ceramic piezoelectric + 10mm CNT unibody dynamic driver.

This is just my conjecture, but I think those that are expecting a direct successor to the BLON BL-03 might need to be mentally prepared the tuning may be pretty different from the single DD BL-03. Of the piezos I've heard, they tend to give better details in the treble, but most piezos require amping to fufill their true potential. And the piezos tend to sound more "brittle" and harsh, with not as good timbre as a pure DD setup.

But let's see how it turns out, the BL-03 already skewed our perception of what a sub $30 set can do, so the BL-05 is in an uneviable position in that it carries the same "BLON" goodwill and anticipation, but is a so called successor that techically should be better than the BL-03. Hard to live up to, I do wish them the best though. LET MUSIC BURN!!!
I, for one, want it to sound different than the BL-03. See post #2,717 above.

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #2,723 of 6,129
The unease about their driver combo has me feeling a bit more confident about picking up the BL-03 and **** **** instead.

Feel free to talk me out of it though! :joy:

**** has piezos too, and they are pretty bang for buck. Balanced tuning, good technicalities, wide soundstage, dirt cheap -$16 USD during sales usually. But **** has poor timbre due to the piezos, so if you listen to mostly acoustic instruments, they are not the best option.

Actually now may be a good time to get the **** and BL-03: there's an Aliexpress Anniversary sale starting 27/03/20. Also, in the audio world, usually older releases will depreciate in pricing, so if you wait a few weeks to months and don't get a new release during the release day, it will turn out cheaper usually.

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #2,724 of 6,129
**** has piezos too, and they are pretty bang for buck. Balanced tuning, good technicalities, wide soundstage, dirt cheap -$16 USD during sales usually. But **** has poor timbre due to the piezos, so if you listen to mostly acoustic instruments, they are not the best option.

Actually now may be a good time to get the **** and BL-03: there's an Aliexpress Anniversary sale starting 27/03/20. Also, in the audio world, usually older releases will depreciate in pricing, so if you wait a few weeks to months and don't get a new release during the release day, it will turn out cheaper usually.
Unless they suddenly get some hype and price starts going up, like the Urbanfun ISS014

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #2,725 of 6,129

Yup, exactly my thinking, just worried they might actually nail how they blend the two driver types together.

Still waiting to hear more about the BL-03 MKII as well, might just leave the IEM side of things be for this sale.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,726 of 6,129
Yup, exactly my thinking, just worried they might actually nail how they blend the two driver types together.

Still waiting to hear more about the BL-03 MKII as well, might just leave the IEM side of things be for this sale.
The lz a6 mini has the same configuration with a piezo and dd. That sounds amazing, so im not that worried for the sound if they can tune it right.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2,727 of 6,129
just hope that lower mids on the 05 wont be like in the LZ A6 mini where it is recessed because that was giant con to it.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2,728 of 6,129
I wanted to share a cheap sound upgrade for the Blon BL-03.

The stock nozzle mesh is a hybrid ‘sandwich’ of stainless steel mesh stacked on top of a black nylon fabric mesh. If you remove the stock piece and replace it with a normal 4.0mm stainless nozzle mesh, the sound improves.

The first thing you notice after replacing the mesh is how smooth the stock sound was, and was slightly veiled. Replacing the mesh increases the clarity and makes the sound less smeared. Bass becomes clearer and more crisp. Lower treble becomes much less recessed and more balanced in the overall mix. Vocals are improved, and are brought more forward.

A great example is Michael Jackson Billie Jean - the shaker that plays in the right channel throughout the entire song. It is quite recessed on the stock Blon (like it’s 30 feet away, almost like it’s in another room). With the new nozzle mesh it sounds like it’s in the same room, placed about 10 feet away where it is supposed to be with the rest of the percussion set.

I’m not saying the stock Blon sounds bad; quite the contrary. I quite enjoy the stock Blon. But this turns up the clarity a few notches and everything is cleaner sounding, like the difference between cassette vs CD/flac.

You can save the stock mesh on a piece of waxed baking paper or even an unused and clean wax candle. In this way, the mod is totally reversible.

The 4.0mm nozzle mesh can be found on Aliexpress by searching for the term “earphone dust network”, and runs about $1 for 20pcs (ie 10 pairs). That’s $0.10 to upgrade a set of Blons.

804B146A-8AC6-4979-92D9-31B5025552AA.jpeg

This upgrade is nothing new, and many modders use this same cheap upgrade on other earphones that come stock with nylon mesh or stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screens. I just didn’t realize that the Blons use a hybrid stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screen. Otherwise, I would have tried the mod a long time ago. In fact, if I had tried this mod earlier, I would not have bought the Urbanfun ISS014. I actually feel that the modded Blon sounds better than the ISS014, which says a lot.

Anyways, enjoy and let me know how you like it if you choose to do this cheap and simple mod.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,729 of 6,129

The stock nozzle mesh is a hybrid ‘sandwich’ of stainless steel mesh stacked on top of a black nylon fabric mesh. If you remove the stock piece and replace it with a normal 4.0mm stainless nozzle mesh, the sound improves.

The first thing you notice after replacing the mesh is how smooth the stock sound was, and was slightly veiled. Replacing the mesh increases the clarity and makes the sound less smeared. Bass becomes clearer and more crisp. Lower treble becomes much less recessed and more balanced in the overall mix. Vocals are improved, and are brought more forward.

I’m not saying the stock Blon sounds bad; quite the contrary. I quite enjoy the stock Blon. But this turns up the clarity a few notches and everything is cleaner sounding, like the difference between cassette vs CD/flac.

You can save the stock mesh on a piece of waxed baking paper or even an unused and clean wax candle. In this way, the mod is totally reversible.

The 4.0mm mesh can be found on Aliexpress by searching for the term “earphone dust network”, and runs about $1 for 20pcs (ie 10 pairs). That’s $0.10 to upgrade a set of Blons.

This upgrade is nothing new, and many modders use this same cheap upgrade on other earphones that come stock with nylon mesh or stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screens. I just didn’t realize that the Blons use a hybrid stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screen. Otherwise, I would have tried the mod a long time ago.

Anyways, enjoy and let me know how you like it if you choose to do this cheap and simple mod.
Is there anywhere to look for detailed instructions?

also, what size filter is the right ones?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #2,730 of 6,129

The 4.0mm mesh can be found on Aliexpress by searching for the term “earphone dust network”, and runs about $1 for 20pcs (ie 10 pairs). That’s $0.10 to upgrade a set of Blons.

This upgrade is nothing new, and many modders use this same cheap upgrade on other earphones that come stock with nylon mesh or stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screens. I just didn’t realize that the Blons use a hybrid stainless/nylon sandwich nozzle screen. Otherwise, I would have tried the mod a long time ago. In fact, if I had tried this mod earlier, I probably would not have bought the Urbanfun ISS014. I actually think that the modded Blon sounds slightly better than the ISS014.

Neophyte here. I'd like to ask again if I may how one sets about extracting the mesh? With what sort of tool other than fingers and how to do it without damaging anything? Things are damn small in there! Also, any reason other than defense against dirt etc to replace the mesh once removed, at all?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back