Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Oct 25, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #316 of 6,129
Diminishing returns. A £100 IEM isn't 3 times better than the Blon BL03 which isn't 3 times better than the BL01.
You have to work out how much you are willing to pay and buy the best you can for the money. In Hifi terms, I once heard £125k worth of kit. My kit cost about £1500. Sure, the £125k one was better, but my kit hasnt been upgraded in 20 years. I'm that happy with it. Likewise with over ears, my endgame is the Hifiman He400i. I'll replace it when it breaks. I'm not there yet with the IEMs. It'll be something DD based or maybe Planar and around £200 when I pull the trigger. For now the BL03 with an amp and the BL01 without are spot on for me.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #317 of 6,129
I’m looking to upgrade to t800 but it has a lot of qc issues.

Since when? It doesn’t seem to have any more or less QC issues than any other IEM.

One guy finally admitted that he l slammed his on a table and damaged his, but that’s user error not QC.

A few people had distortion, which was cleared up when they used a proper source. I think this is the cause of 75% of the “problems” people have with the T800. They want good sound, but they refuse to use anything other than some crap ass low end Android phone. Again, not QC, but rather a lack of knowledge about proper impedance matching.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #318 of 6,129
I have the D2 too. I’m stuck on the Viva setting. I call this Dap the great equalizer. Not just because it has a great equalizer and DSP settings, but it brings a lot of IEMs up a level of enjoyment.

Fully agree, the Cowon Plenue D2 is an amazing little DAP... really enjoying how amazing clean and powerful it is with zero floor noise... like absolute ZERO! :)

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #319 of 6,129
@Supercharged - Sony MH750/755 tips work really well with the BL03. Spiral Dots come close as do MandarinEs but I think the Sony are the best I have tried.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, after bouncing around and trying several different tips, the MH755 tips fit *extremely* well - especially when it comes to gripping the Blon's stems. I've also coupled them with a set of 4mmX8mmX2mm silicon ring gaskets I picked up off Amazon - this really helps keep them in place and prevents them from riding down the stem base - also extends them just enough to really help with a perfect seal for my ears.

The Blons are really growing on me! While they lack some micro detail that the ZSXs are delivering to my ears, when it comes to overall balance/tone and ultimate sound cohesiveness, they definitely deliver in spades. I'm VERY happy with both of them - sort of end-game IEMs for me.

My IEM setup:
Blon BL-03 with 4x8x2mm silicon gaskets + MH755 tips (largest) + NICEHCK C16-1 16 Core silver cable
KZ-ZSX with Final Audio Edge Style Series Type E black silicone eartips (size LL) + NICEHCK C16-3 16 Core high purity copper cable

DAP: Cowon Plenue D2 (all FLAC files)

Absolutely LOVE this setup - here's a pic:
1EeMUzi.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #323 of 6,129
Yeah, I would never want to do THAT again. Going to get my EP10 out later. I do remember liking them and I am far from being a basshead.

Can you still hear?

Huh? Your going to have to speak up. :)
Surprisingly I am about where I need to be for my age hearing wise. I have no idea how though. Car audio. Huge rack audio systems with massive tower speakers. Full stacks with 100watt tube heads. 30 years of headphones at stupid loud volumes. It's amazing to be honest. I guess I'm lucky. Only recently have I started to become more cognitive to volume and been pushing it down. ANC headphones have helped with that a lot.

Anyway ep10 mids are dope. A lot of stuff you might listen too might be mixed in such away that elevated bass in headphones/earphones might not even be heard much if at all. I dunno. Just a guess. Mids on them are good though.

I just checked out that thread.
Most of the IEMs they talk about are pretty pricey.
I think I'll stick to the KZ and Chinese/Asian IEM threads.
I love bass, but on a pretty tight budget.
I agree. Bass head can be achieved now pretty cheaply. KZ es4 for example. Its like 14 bucks. Sounds good to me without eq, but can be pushed pretty hard with eq.
I just got kanas for $75 and it's been in my ears for 2 weeks now. Bass head levels bass with ridiculously lush mids.

Overall though, I personally believe that in order to achieve true enlightenment and become one with the bass god's, you must use headphones with eq and amp. :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #325 of 6,129
I agree. Bass head can be achieved now pretty cheaply. KZ es4 for example. Its like 14 bucks. Sounds good to me without eq, but can be pushed pretty hard with eq.
I do like my KZ ES4...
I think I'll try the KZ ZS7 next, as I hear it has more bass.
thumbsup.png

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #326 of 6,129
lets face it, planar with huge drivers

Im waiting for some company to outdo the JVC SZ2000. Those things are visceral and violent. There is nothing on the planet Earth that can compete in either Slam or Impact. Crazy thing too is that no matter how much boost you give it(30DB+) or how much power you give it(4watts+) It just laughs at you and then proceeds to beat you silly. I honestly believe those headphones can give a person CTE.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #327 of 6,129
Im waiting for some company to outdo the JVC SZ2000. Those things are visceral and violent. There is nothing on the planet Earth that can compete in either Slam or Impact. Crazy thing too is that no matter how much boost you give it(30DB+) or how much power you give it(4watts+) It just laughs at you and then proceeds to beat you silly. I honestly believe those headphones can give a person CTE.

i never heard that model but i had HifiMan HE500 and it was very neutral without EQ, but when i changed the stock pads with leather ones and added 8db sub bass boost it was able to rattle my head, amazing bass quality too

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #329 of 6,129
I'm considering getting the BL-03 on 11-11. I've seen that QDC cables fit nicely after some tinkering, how do TFZ type terminations fit, do they sit flush with the IEM body?, I'm asking ecause the TFZ style, has squared edges but seems shallower in depth than the QDC style.

For those with afermarket cables, do you recomend going with straight or angled terminations?

Also, saw some talk about gunmetal finnished housing units sounding different than the polished silver ones, any consensus in that respect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back