Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #5,356 of 6,129
IMG_20210312_154008.jpg

Just got Blon 03 last week so I can share my impressions.
-they look great in purple
-they sound great, as good as more expensive models I have had in the past
-they have more bass than I usually like but I wouldn't say they are particularly bass heavy
-they are quite heavy, much more than any IEMs I had before
-getting a good fit is nearly impossible, combination of short nozzle/bad cable hooks makes them very hard to fit and isolation is poor
-wind noise is not an issue so I can wear them outside and that makes me happy with the purchase.

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #5,360 of 6,129

Just got Blon 03 last week so I can share my impressions.
-they look great in purple
-they sound great, as good as more expensive models I have had in the past
-they have more bass than I usually like but I wouldn't say they are particularly bass heavy
-they are quite heavy, much more than any IEMs I had before
-getting a good fit is nearly impossible, combination of short nozzle/bad cable hooks makes them very hard to fit and isolation is poor
-wind noise is not an issue so I can wear them outside and that makes me happy with the purchase.
Still digging the first iteration of the BLON 03. Inviting and powerful sound, which is something I like during home office sessions.

IMG_1377.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #5,361 of 6,129
I went for to the original mod with the nozzle cotton padding and couldn't be happier. There's mode detail, a better sense of ease and delivery of timbre, smoothed-out highs (it really needs it). A down side of this mod seems to be the increased focus on bass bleed into the lower mids.

Here's my contribution to the mod.
  • Inner chamber dampening (done)
  • Modding the driver rear mesh (proposed)
  • Modding the front port (proposed)
Opening them
It was super easy to open my pair. Just insert an x-acto knife along the bottom of the IEM. Don't use the tip of the blade, align the long side of the blade with the line where the two half join. Gently make your way through and release the remaining sticky glue.

IMG_1313.jpeg

Rear driver mesh
Here's an idea. What would removing the driver's rear mesh do to the sound? I didn't go for it. Any ideas? Who's willing to do it?

IMG_1305.jpeg

I added some cotton padding to the inner chamber. It feels like there's less bass bleed into the lower-mids. Notice the remaining sticky glue on the aligning pins that join both halves.

IMG_1307.jpeg

Nozzle
Since I retired my Tin T2's, I decided to take out the metal mesh and apply them to the BL-03s. They don't fit exactly but with the help of the rear side of a brush, I managed to push the mesh inside and create an inverted dome. The Blons require 4mm grills, I guess the T2's are 5mm.

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

Modding the frontal port
My last thought is to poke a hole in the mesh behind the front port. I wonder if it'll further contribute to less bass bleed. I find them very bassy. Good bass but often feels like too much bass. Facilitating some venting through this hole could affect the sub-bass more than upper bass. Thoughts?

IMG_1313 copy.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1312.jpeg
    IMG_1312.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    745.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #5,362 of 6,129
New Blon info and it's a hybrid with 1BA 1DD and the release is the end of this month / early next month.

Blon Hybrid.png

There is another one with the name "Prometheus" but I don't know anything else apart form it's a single DD and is getting released soon.

Blon Cable.png

A new cable is coming out as well.

Ah that's my disposable income disposed of then.

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #5,363 of 6,129
I went for to the original mod with the nozzle cotton padding and couldn't be happier. There's mode detail, a better sense of ease and delivery of timbre, smoothed-out highs (it really needs it). A down side of this mod seems to be the increased focus on bass bleed into the lower mids.

Here's my contribution to the mod.
  • Inner chamber dampening (done)
  • Modding the driver rear mesh (proposed)
  • Modding the front port (proposed)
Opening them
It was super easy to open my pair. Just insert an x-acto knife along the bottom of the IEM. Don't use the tip of the blade, align the long side of the blade with the line where the two half join. Gently make your way through and release the remaining sticky glue.

IMG_1313.jpeg

Rear driver mesh
Here's an idea. What would removing the driver's rear mesh do to the sound? I didn't go for it. Any ideas? Who's willing to do it?

IMG_1305.jpeg

I added some cotton padding to the inner chamber. It feels like there's less bass bleed into the lower-mids. Notice the remaining sticky glue on the aligning pins that join both halves.

IMG_1307.jpeg

Nozzle
Since I retired my Tin T2's, I decided to take out the metal mesh and apply them to the BL-03s. They don't fit exactly but with the help of the rear side of a brush, I managed to push the mesh inside and create an inverted dome. The Blons require 4mm grills, I guess the T2's are 5mm.

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

Modding the frontal port
My last thought is to poke a hole in the mesh behind the front port. I wonder if it'll further contribute to less bass bleed. I find them very bassy. Good bass but often feels like too much bass. Facilitating some venting through this hole could affect the sub-bass more than upper bass. Thoughts?

IMG_1313 copy.jpeg
Speaking of front vent. Has anyone tried blocking it just to find out what hapoens?

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #5,366 of 6,129
... Besides being an undesirable trait. I have no idea what boomy means.
I understand it as the bass being large in quantity but slow and blunted, on the way towards being muddy.

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #5,367 of 6,129
I understand it as the bass being large in quantity but slow and blunted, on the way towards being muddy.
It doesnt have to be large in quantity though, but its certainly very rare for lower quantity bass to be boomy.

Although I personally use boomy, muddy and bloated as synonyms.

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #5,368 of 6,129
Does anyone have eq settings for Blon BL-03 ?
It doesnt have to be large in quantity though, but its certainly very rare for lower quantity bass to be boomy.

Although I personally use boomy, muddy and bloated as synonyms.
I feel that the cotton inserts in the rear chamber contribute to cleaner bass, specially sub-bass. It’s more articulated and well defined but still too much. I EQ my Blons at -6dB for 64 Hz and 150 Hz for a more balanced sound.

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #5,369 of 6,129
I feel that the cotton inserts in the rear chamber contribute to cleaner bass, specially sub-bass. It’s more articulated and well defined but still too much. I EQ my Blons at -6dB for 64 Hz and 150 Hz for a more balanced sound.
Listening to J Dilla’s Donuts album, it becomes so clear how the sub-bass region is an integral part of the sonic atmosphere. I experience that vinyl rumble with the same articulation that’d be expected from the midrange. It’s kind of crazy how well these perform. I’m driving them with an SMSL Idea DAC+Headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back