Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Oct 15, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #4,081 of 6,129
I've had my BLONs BL-03 for around 5 months now, I bought them mostly because of the hype surrounding them and I always thought there was something missing in the sound. When I pair them with my Snapdragon Galaxy S9 the sound is just ok, maybe kind of anemic for me, nothing really special. The pairing with my LG V30 is way better but they often sound a bit brighter and fatiguing for my taste and that's probably due to the sound signature of the V30.

Some days ago I bought a Cowon Plenue 2 and yesterday I was listening through my reference IEMs and I avoided the BLONs thinking they would sound bright again or something similar. Oh boy I was wrong, I think the Cowon unleashes the full potential of the BL-03 with some help of the Jet Effects of course. Now I'm hearing a smoother, a bit warmer BL-03 but with lots of detail, the separation and imaging is also very good. I'm loving this pairing and the BL03s now. I guess they're source dependant but I'm glad I bought the Cowon P2 and the BLONs.

Yep BLON BL-03 scales better with amping, and I find the bass tightens too with amping.

Though I had a friend ask me why I'm using a more expensive amp (source) than the IEM (BLON BL-03) itself haha. So I guess he has a point there, but well different strokes for different folks.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #4,083 of 6,129
Though I had a friend ask me why I'm using a more expensive amp (source) than the IEM (BLON BL-03) itself haha. So I guess he has a point there, but well different strokes for different folks.

Well, one could say that one is simply mitigating a potential bottleneck in the audio chain :wink:

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #4,085 of 6,129
Hi here is a small review on the BLON BL-05S: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/blon-bl-05s.24625/reviews#item-review-24555

Pros:
Light and comfortable. Good fit.
Smooth and organic tonality.
Good technical performance for a budget single DD (though still won’t beat multi BA/hybrids in general).
Good timbre.
Fixes fit issues and midbass bloat of the BLON BL-03, fixes shouty upper mids of the BLON BL-05 (non S).
Quite all rounder for most music genres.
Above average isolation.
Good price to performance ratio.

Cons:
Gaudy coloured shells, takes guts to wear it outdoors!
Distorts with higher volume/overly robust EQ.
Same crappy accessories (stock eartips/cable).
May be overly safe in tuning, some may find it lacks pizzaz.
Bass is not the most textured.
Fares better with amping. May not be getting full potential with low powered smartphones.

iLyAviw.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #4,086 of 6,129
Oct 17, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #4,087 of 6,129
Yep BLON BL-03 scales better with amping, and I find the bass tightens too with amping.

I opted to carry around a cheap but quality DAP. Even though I'm already carrying many pounds of gear as a technician.

The alternative are these iphone dongles that may or may not have a real difference.

I find that blon03 could well be end-game (with foam tips isolation, quality cable to tame the bass, remove grill for other earwax filter, and good source files). The sound signature is so comfortable that I don't think using more expensive DAP or AMP for it is a waste. I have A-B tested my blon03 directly with $2000 Final audio A8000, and I prefer the blons.

I mean yeah guitars sound better on A8000 but is it $1960 dollars better ehhhhh I don't think so.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #4,088 of 6,129
I opted to carry around a cheap but quality DAP. Even though I'm already carrying many pounds of gear as a technician.

The alternative are these iphone dongles that may or may not have a real difference.

May I enquire what is this cheap but quality DAP? Would be interested.

Ya I do carry the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and the Sabre HIFI DAC (ESS ES9280C PRO) dongles for my phone, these dongles do have better sound quality than the average non LGV type smartphone. But the phone is the limiting factor in terms of battery life and memory space (if for example lots of lossless files are used).

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #4,089 of 6,129
May I enquire what is this cheap but quality DAP? Would be interested.

Ya I do carry the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and the Sabre HIFI DAC (ESS ES9280C PRO) dongles for my phone, these dongles do have better sound quality than the average non LGV type smartphone. But the phone is the limiting factor in terms of battery life and memory space (if for example lots of lossless files are used).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Zishan dsd is a nice little thing. It may not be able to compete with giants like AK or Sony, but I think it fights for itself near its price range.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #4,094 of 6,129
blon bl03 vs zsn pro x for listening to rock?
I use a one plus 6t as the source and I've narrowed my choice to these two. Are the highs lacking on the blon?

I only have the standard ZSN, but I bet the ZSN Pro don't stand a chance to the BL03.

You must change the tips to Inverted Starlines so you can have improved treble and soundstage though, but the BL03 is a bliss from the Gods with fantastic timbre and natural sound you won't get from cheap hibrids, ever.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #4,095 of 6,129
blon bl03 vs zsn pro x for listening to rock?
I use a one plus 6t as the source and I've narrowed my choice to these two. Are the highs lacking on the blon?
I've got the ZSN pro and the Blon 03. The Blon 03 is more organic and the ZSN pro more edgy. The Blon 03 more analogue and the ZSN pro is more digital. They both sound good but the Blon 03 has a little something extra, are special and to my ears are perfect for rock. I like the ZSN pro a lot but some may find there is a little peak in the upper mids, which for some may suit rock.....or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back