Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
May 24, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #3,256 of 6,129
Well I always though the whole point of a target curve is that on average, no frequency will sound in your face nor be forced into the backseat. And I always wonder how could that possibly sound boring. Wonder how close both BLONs get to Harman and/or DF. Not very I assume.

May 25, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #3,258 of 6,129
IMG_20200525_155934.jpg

Took 19 days since ordered, but they're here.

Update: Kinda surprised me my nephew likes the sound of these more than the sound of his Beats Solo3... Probably shouldn't however. They also make me appreciate the mids much more since looks like everything I've owned has been varying degrees of V shape. So if these are still considered V shape, they are the least V shaped IEMs I ever had the pleasure to put on in my ears by far.

As of this update haven't tried the foam tips you see on the right yet... mostly because I'm afraid of wearing them out too quickly without any advice.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3,259 of 6,129
Technically, the FDX1 are much faster and more detailed than the BL03, so they can be excellent for rock/metal. You can hear everything. However, I find them quickly fatiguing for metal. I like how the BL03s are more laid back, and the bass is boosted a lot. I can listen to metal with louder volumes. They are very different sounding IEMs, so it depends on your personal preference.
I'll take a look, thank you so much.

May 27, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #3,261 of 6,129
May 28, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #3,263 of 6,129
Well I always though the whole point of a target curve is that on average, no frequency will sound in your face nor be forced into the backseat. And I always wonder how could that possibly sound boring. Wonder how close both BLONs get to Harman and/or DF. Not very I assume.
These headphones sound about right to a great deal of people. Harman is designed to sound about right to a great deal of people. Coincidence? I think not.

May 28, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #3,264 of 6,129

These headphones sound about right to a great deal of people. Harman is designed to sound about right to a great deal of people. Coincidence? I think not.

try this app if you're using android devices
https://www.xda-developers.com/make-your-headphones-sound-better-automatic-eq-wavelet/amp/

the autoEQ setting for the BL03 makes it Harman tuned, and it sounds good to my ears. the BL03 driver can take the EQ really well

May 29, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #3,266 of 6,129
Any windows equivalent to an auto EQ?

i don't really know. even that app i found by chance, because it pops up on my chrome feed. basically what it does is bring everything to the Harman target EQ, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the person (i happen to like it). it also not always sound great, depending on the driver capabilities.

i mostly use the app for my BT TWS because it has automatic EQ switching. so i use my BL-03 paired with the BT20S to use with this app

May 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #3,267 of 6,129
There is a new trend to criticize IEM makers for going with "safe bets". As I understand it, the whole Harman concept was to create a sound signature that was appealing to most people and therefore represents a safe bet. If that is the hallmark of a safe bet, I am all for safe bets.
I would much rather more manufacturers take the Moondrop route and put their own twists on academic target curves than aiming for their own frequently unsuccessful novel tunings.

May 29, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3,268 of 6,129
Got the 05 today, and can definitely feel the sharpness in the upper mids/lower treble. Using narrow bores such as the Final type E is pretty much a must to avoid it getting borderline sibilant (for me).

May 29, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #3,269 of 6,129
Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #3,270 of 6,129
Still rocking with the 05's. These babies are born to play Rage Against The Machine tracks like a beast :metal:

People who have them and don't really the tuning out of the box really should try narrow bore tips that fit them (with a good seal) and maybe a better cable to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back