Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Mar 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,761 of 6,129
jasonb, have you tried the balanced output on the es100? I find that the Blon responds quit well to balanced output, much better than my v90 and CCA C10, even minimizing the mid bass. The overall sound tightens up and stereo separation improves. It also can handle the extra voltage well, not distorting like the hybrids do, but be careful, the blon can get very loud.

No I haven't tried the balanced output. I don't have any balanced 2.5mm cables for anything.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #2,762 of 6,129
Got my iFi Hip Dac as well as a Null Audio Arete 4.4mm balanced today and the BLON's have never sounded better. This is my favourite combo.
With the AudioQuest Cobalt the BLON's are okay but balanced they shine. I prefer them to my Solaris.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1142.jpg
    IMG_1142.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #2,763 of 6,129
Hi does anyone have a Final Audio E3000 to compare with the BLON BL-03?

I read good reviews about the former for its timbre and tonality, though the non detachable cable part is a bit of a turn off.

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,765 of 6,129
Been listening for a couple days with the @Slater mod. Very nice increase of clarity and sounds even more fantastic with Calyx M! Thanks!!!
Agreed, might actually cancel my order of the Urbanfun ISS014 after almost 2 months of waiting...

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,767 of 6,129
Damn, 2 months
yeah I know....the suffering is real....the long waiting time + covid-19 + mother's rage ( she is pissed that I have so many packages coming lol) is what is making me want to cancel it lol.

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #2,769 of 6,129
also because the mesh filter mod on the 03 is really good, and improved the parts that I wanted the urbanfun to do. (although I wish it had even more tightness and speed in the bass...)

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #2,770 of 6,129
I’ve been enjoying the BL03s for a few months, but suddenly the left earpiece stopped working correctly. It still makes sound, but much less than the right, and not at all balanced. When wearing the IEMs, and I push the left side in, it makes a crinkling sound. I always thought it was the ear tip, but then noticed that the right side didn’t make the same noise. Could that be driver flex? And could that have damaged the driver? I didn’t cover any of the vents. If that is driver flex, it’s kind of difficult for me to differentiate it from the sound the ear tip makes when you first insert it, then it recoils a little. That also often makes a “crinkling” noise.

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #2,771 of 6,129
I’ve been enjoying the BL03s for a few months, but suddenly the left earpiece stopped working correctly. It still makes sound, but much less than the right, and not at all balanced. When wearing the IEMs, and I push the left side in, it makes a crinkling sound. I always thought it was the ear tip, but then noticed that the right side didn’t make the same noise. Could that be driver flex? And could that have damaged the driver? I didn’t cover any of the vents. If that is driver flex, it’s kind of difficult for me to differentiate it from the sound the ear tip makes when you first insert it, then it recoils a little. That also often makes a “crinkling” noise.

What u describe - the crinkling sound when inserting the IEM inside, is probably driver flex. The recoil issue when inserting could just be due to the eartip being compressed and reexpanding inside the ear, though some driver flex gives a clicking/recoiling sound sometimes.

Well most manufacturers will claim that driver flex doesn't damage the dynamic drivers, though I have seen a few anecdotal reports on headfi and audio sites that after a particularly bad case of driver flex, the dynamic driver died after that.

Have u tried another cable with your IEM?

Well FWIW, I realize driver flex can be reduced to some extent by these few methods:
1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.
2) Driver flex seems to be due to a too tight seal in the ear canal, and sometimes using another eartip (silicone) that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.
3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diammeter of the ear canal.
4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,772 of 6,129
What u describe - the crinkling sound when inserting the IEM inside, is probably driver flex. The recoil issue when inserting could just be due to the eartip being compressed and reexpanding inside the ear, though some driver flex gives a clicking/recoiling sound sometimes.

Well most manufacturers will claim that driver flex doesn't damage the dynamic drivers, though I have seen a few anecdotal reports on headfi and audio sites that after a particularly bad case of driver flex, the dynamic driver died after that.

Have u tried another cable with your IEM?

Well FWIW, I realize driver flex can be reduced to some extent by these few methods:
1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.
2) Driver flex seems to be due to a too tight seal in the ear canal, and sometimes using another eartip (silicone) that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.
3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diammeter of the ear canal.
4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

All great ideas, thanks! I have been using Final Type E tips, which provide a very tight seal for me, and I sometime push in the IEM, to check the seal. I thought that the vents should adequately compensate for increased air pressure, but I guess not enough with this IEM, at least not with my left IEM. Glad it was only a $30 lesson rather than a $300 or $3000 lesson. I always wondered what exactly driver flex sounds like. Now I know.

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #2,773 of 6,129

I've had a similar issue but it turned out as the filter got "fogged up" due to the ear moisture, taking the filter off and rubbing a bit of alcohol and letting it dry out, fixed the imbalance to me. Also, if the filter is clogged it can lead to driver flex as well.

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #2,775 of 6,129
Hi does anyone have a Final Audio E3000 to compare with the BLON BL-03?

I read good reviews about the former for its timbre and tonality, though the non detachable cable part is a bit of a turn off.

I have both, and I now rarely use the BLON after getting the E3000 (though that's mostly due to the more comfortable fit and not any downgrade in sound on the BL-03). They sound quite a bit different and I'd recommend getting both of them if budget permits.

I personally prefer the male vocals, imaging, soundstage and treble on the E3000 while the BLONs have better female vocals and bass. E3000 also has this uncannily great instrument separation and microdynamics which I completely didn't expect from such a budget set.

As for timbre, string instruments has more "bite" on the BLONs which definitely sound great as long as the recording is good. E3000 meanwhile has better piano and violins rendition. Snare drums are better on the BLONs, hi-hats/crash cymbals better on the E3000. Back and forth, in short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back