BLON BL-30 Review, impressions and discussion thread
Feb 8, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #257 of 295
Let me get this straight... It's a $109 headphone that most people can't use because of poorly designed headband?

Right.

If one buys a Hifiman headband it becomes usable

That's one option for fixing the headband, but I described how I modified the original headband to fit my big head and have given updates on the replacement process by Linsoul.

but still needs eq to sound any good?

Depends on your subjective evaluation of "good". The significant dip in the mid-range is well known and EQ is the free and easy solution to this for those who want to fix it. I plan to EQ but have been enjoying the sound from mine without EQ.

Also preferably new pads and other mods?

While I think the original pads are junk and totally unsuited for the headphone, others actually want them. I don't consider any other mods essential for this headphone.

Seems to me it should be a $10.90 not a $109 headphone.

While I only paid ~US$75 for mine, another $8 for the big comfy angled pads and $0 to adequately fix the headband, I'd certainly prefer to have only paid 10.90 to get a headphone with a 70 mm dynamic driver, metal construction, 3.5mm connectors on each cup - enabling balanced amplification, but I've yet to see one. This buyer has no remorse.
The closest I've experienced to this at low cost is the Modern Retro with Brainwavz round XL pads which are ~$25 each when not on sale. It has a 50 mm dynamic driver (half the size), plastic construction and fixed long cable. I have no remorse for this one, or my ~$300 Phantom which also needed mods to perform. The BL-30 is closer in most qualities to the Phantom than the Modern Retro.

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #258 of 295
Right.

That's one option for fixing the headband, but I described how I modified the original headband to fit my big head and have given updates on the replacement process by Linsoul.

Depends on your subjective evaluation of "good". The significant dip in the mid-range is well known and EQ is the free and easy solution to this for those who want to fix it. I plan to EQ but have been enjoying the sound from mine without EQ.

While I think the original pads are junk and totally unsuited for the headphone, others actually want them. I don't consider any other mods essential for this headphone.

While I only paid ~US$75 for mine, another $8 for the big comfy angled pads and $0 to adequately fix the headband, I'd certainly prefer to have only paid 10.90 to get a headphone with a 70 mm dynamic driver, metal construction, 3.5mm connectors on each cup - enabling balanced amplification, but I've yet to see one. This buyer has no remorse.
The closest I've experienced to this at low cost is the Modern Retro with Brainwavz round XL pads which are ~$25 each when not on sale. It has a 50 mm dynamic driver (half the size), plastic construction and fixed long cable. I have no remorse for this one, or my ~$300 Phantom which also needed mods to perform. The BL-30 is closer in most qualities to the Phantom than the Modern Retro.

Didn't we all buy this set to tinker?

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #261 of 295
IME most large dynamic drivers produce flawed, uneven sound.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #265 of 295
Please list them.
HD800, Audio Technica, MA900, SoundMAGIC....others I'm sure. Oddly enough, the bigger the driver the less it can go deep down in the bass.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #266 of 295
The Z1R, SZ2000, Klipsch HP3, Sony XB1000 disagree with you. If the magnet is crappy, then even a 70 mm driver doesn't matter.

The SZ2000 with a 55mm and a 30mm driver in each ear will blow your head off clean. Its a marvel how strongly it can push air.

All things being equal, a bigger driver will push more air and go deeper unless it has a crappy magnet.

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #267 of 295
Here is an easy way of bending the head band so it will fit much better.
Just over bend the factory bend to about 60 to 70 degrees. This will place the yoke at about the same as other headphones.
Strip all parts off the head band down to the bare metal band. Place masking tape on both sides of the band to prevent marring. Stick it in a vise to the exact location of the factory bend. Bend it a bit more. If needed, use a wooden block to help you out in the bend.
BLON-BL-30-Headband-1280.jpg
BLON-BL-30-HB-Bend-1280.jpg

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #268 of 295
I love mine for casual listening, I did replace the headband with an Audeze one and replaced the pads. Don't get me wrong they have very inaccurate sound but super wide immersive. I like them with ambient music or 90s R&B.
d6ymv75.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #269 of 295
It seems to me like these things are real crap and a lot of folks are trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #270 of 295
It seems to me like these things are real crap and a lot of folks are trying to put lipstick on a pig.

The bass would make your head explode and your 580 would shiver in fear.

BL30 is a fun phone. 580 is good for nap time. Is 580 neutral? Sure, if you dont count bass.

I quickly sold my 580. Threw my BL30 away because Linsoul is trash.

I haven’t forgotten you @AJZ0 and I still have the pads in case you want them back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back