Bliss and happiness on the cheap
Oct 24, 2009 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Right now, I'm at my favorite undiscovered bar, enjoying a $4.00 20 oz. Sierra Nevada and a rockin' asada burrito from the local roach coach for $3.50. (Thumbs up from the upper and lower intestine - I've eaten there before.)

And I'm happy. I'm feeling great. It's a beautiful night.

What cheap or free pleasures do you enjoy? There's lots of megabuck gear and other stuff discussed here. Yeah, it's enjoyable. But what cheap or free stuff makes you equally happy?

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 39
$3.50 pints of Woodchuck and $4.95 teriyaki steak tips at the local microbrewery.

I love cheap food with no obligation to be surrounded by 979247294 screens playing some sort of sporting event. Hard cider is an additional plus.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 39
My daily midnight tea break on the patio after 10 hours of class/work and 5 hours of studying. It's really the only time in the day I'm away from the books and computers, and the weather is cool enough by then to clear my mind completely. Sometimes the ocean breeze brings low fog with it, which is majestic and surreal.

That's what, maybe $0.20 for the tea and the mint leaf, and another $0.80 for the slice of Jarlsberg on rye. I'd call that bliss on the cheap.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 39
Evening at home with a $1.50 bottle of my favorite micro-brewery Ginger Ale, $10.00 Take-Home order of Gai Grapow from my favorite local Thai Restaurant and my dog either snoring in the room or begging insatiably for some of the food
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 39
It is the best time for morning runs where I live. My favorite trail is lined with autumn colored trees that release a lovely snow of plum and orange leaves. The chill while brisk at first, will become a cool breeze as the body's furnace fires to life, while splintered light shines from the canopy above. There are serene, perspective moments to be found there. I am rarely happier,

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 39
Going to the beach in the evening when few people are around and it's nice and cool. I don't do it often enough, even though it's less that two miles from home. Parking: free. Ocean: free. Soft sand: free. Brain reset: free, and almost always peaceful and happy.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto.

Student's first rule: Never say no to a free meal. A student likes everything, and eats everything, as long as it's free.

You mean that's going to change? Oh dear, I'll starve to death.

For me, it's just driving my car in the countryside with my windows rolled down and my favorite music playing. Volume and quality of reproduction don't even matter to me at that point I'm so happy. I've found that the fun of playing music with the windows rolled down is inversely proportional to the number of people who can clearly hear it besides myself. Heck, I can even sing along if I want!

100th post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back