BLIND TEST: 128kbps mp3 vs Lossless
May 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #136 of 180
Rig in my signature... it might be my first and only rig, but I'd like to think that I'm doing something right here...

Immediately from the first two seconds, I thought it was apparent which one sounded better, but then I skipped to 22-30 seconds just to double-check. There is greater clarity in the drum hits in the lossless file. The instruments just seem to run together in this messy, noisy fashion in the 128 kbs MP3.

Now, if I weren't directly A/B'ing the two tracks, I am not so sure the lack of quality in the 128 kbs MP3 would be so obvious. But going from one to the other brings out the differences.

May 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #137 of 180
Quote:
Immediately from the first two seconds, I thought it was apparent which one sounded better, but then I skipped to 22-30 seconds just to double-check. There is greater clarity in the drum hits in the lossless file. The instruments just seem to run together in this messy, noisy fashion in the 128 kbs MP3.

Now, if I weren't directly A/B'ing the two tracks, I am not so sure the lack of quality in the 128 kbs MP3 would be so obvious. But going from one to the other brings out the differences.

I agree. I was able to tell pretty quickly within the first few seconds on my DT770 Pro (80 Ohm)'s; the clarity, sharpness, and cleanness of the sound is so much better on the lossless file. And I also noticed how helpful it was having them side by side. Going from the lossless to the lossy on a part of the track, I "remembered" a lot of the details and was able to pick them out even in the lossy file; it was muddled but didn't seem so bad overall as I knew what I was "supposed" to hear. But going from the lossy to the lossless, well, that was a shock every single time.

-Bizzlebin

May 31, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #139 of 180
A is a wall of noise at 9 seconds making me want to rip my headphones off.  B is slightly less wall of noise making me only cringe.

If this is the crap people use to blind test no wonder they do so poorly.  They're all deaf after 30 seconds.  I'd recommend the least transparent system available for mastering like this.

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #142 of 180
I'm sure there are plenty of other people who have said the exact same thing, but I knew that there would more than likely be lots of people that would post their answers in the thread, so I only read the original post and then downloaded the clips. 

Played them one after the other, and determined that B was lossless. 

It's interesting to ponder whether people were influenced by what others posted (placebo again) or what they heard.  Maybe next time someone does this they should start off by stating that you shouldn't post your answers in the thread and instead just answer the poll.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #146 of 180
Quote:
This is quite surprising at how many people can tell.

Of course being able to hear artifacts depends on the individual, but it is generally known that 128 kbps mp3 is not transparent.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #147 of 180
Quote:
This is quite surprising at how many people can tell.
Wonder if it'll be the same if its 320kps.

Actually, it's impossible to know, looking at the results, how many people could tell the difference, since anyone could read the numerous posts or view the results before voting.

The poll is a great idea. I just wish we could set it up properly so it would be a valid ABX test.

It's also quite annoying that the test is an ad for MediaFire. The internet has become so invasive and insidious that a person can't even f**t without downloading something. Not good...

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #150 of 180
Chrome + adblock and you pretty much only see the green DL button. Or you can hover your pointer on the button and make sure it isn't a link that takes you elsewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back