Blind faith purchase of Micro Ztol...
Nov 10, 2002 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Xtop_sg

New Head-Fier
After weeks of agonizing, I have decided to take the plunge and go with the Micro Ztol as my first headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD 600.
This is, in no small part, due to the good things I read about David Berning's audio artistry and the Micro Ztol in this forum and elsewhere.
I am asking Mr. Berning if it would be possible to add a pre out just as Hirsch has done to his Micro Zotl. However, I am not sure if I should also have the option of having both speaker and headphone working at the same time. Hirsch, what say you?
As I am a tube newbie, I would also appreciate any suggestions to further my enjoyment.
Till it arrivals, wish me luck
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Xtop_sg
However, I am not sure if I should also have the option of having both speaker and headphone working at the same time.

You know, I have no idea if my ZOTL will let both work simultaneously. I've never tried it. I only use it for headphones, and the time that I used it as a preamp briefly, I didn't use headphones at the same time.

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 20
The speaker and headphone outputs of the ZOTL are hooked together internally, so they can be used at the same time. I made an extension cord for a second pair of headphones and ran it from the speaker connections, and it worked fine. The volume control affects both of course, so if you are using speakers it may be too loud for the headphones.

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

I am asking Mr. Berning if it would be possible to add a pre out just as Hirsch has done to his Micro Zotl.

Cost of a pre out is another $100!!!
I am forgoing it till I really require.
Anyway, Mr. Berning says that it is actually quite an easy fix, if one is mechanically inclined.
rolleyes.gif

Damn... I am not one of them
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 20
You are starting out into the headphone amp in really, really good territory. This is supposed to be a dynamite amp, and I wish you many, many hours of listening pleasure using it!!!

Lord Bless

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 20
IMO the MicroZOTL is a stunning accomplishment. It's very dependent on getting a good tube set to hear what this amp can do. However, once you've got the tubes, it's simply fantastic. If Berning had put it in a fancy case, he could have charged double the price, and it would still be a great value

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I wish you many, many hours of listening pleasure using it!!!

ServinginEcuador, thanks for the well wishes... I am looking forward to the arrival of the micro zotl and will certainly post my take on it.
Cheers

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
...very dependent on getting a good tube set to hear what this amp can do. However, once you've got the tubes, it's simply fantastic.

Hirsch, I can't wait for that
biggrin.gif

In fact, I have found myself checking out all possible places looking for "good tubes" as I am really a newbie and not very mechanically nor techinically inclined.
I am actually depending on good people like you and the rest who are more techinically able to explain and share your experiences - make the complex simple, but not simpler.
I must say the most interesting threads IMO have got to be the tube roll'n ones so far.
Thanks again Hi-Fi Headphone forumers.

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

biggrin.gif

In fact, I have found myself checking out all possible places looking for "good tubes" as I am really a newbie and not very mechanically nor techinically inclined.
I am actually depending on good people like you and the rest who are more techinically able to explain and share your experiences - make the complex simple, but not simpler.
I must say the most interesting threads IMO have got to be the tube roll'n ones so far.

Zenn audio in Simpang Bedok has a very good stock of tubes. The owner can probably help you with tube rolling since he builds Tube amps and I believe pre-amps too.
He should be able to help you do the pre-outs. They should not be difficult, I could probably do it but I hate metal work. Soldering is fine.
Maybe get a Dannish Audioconnect Stepped Attuenator from him as well.

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 20
Hie Dreamslacker,
Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly check the place out.
Anyway, it is a pleasure surprise to be able to chat with a fellow country man.
Cheers.
p.s
Btw, care to share what your gears are ?

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Xtop_Sg

Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you read Hirsh's review of the various tubes in this unit!!! His review is a post that takes up several pages, is good reading, and can save you tons of time and money buying and researching the wrong and right tubes!! Do a search under Amplification for Micro ZOTL or something close to find it. Then make sure to read it from beginning to end. Twice!!!

Nov 13, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Hie Dreamslacker,
Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly check the place out.
Anyway, it is a pleasure surprise to be able to chat with a fellow country man.
Cheers.
p.s
Btw, care to share what your gears are ?

Mmm..
Just a simple Sennheiser HD570 headphones. Foam removed. I made my own cable from Canare L-4E5C microphone cable and a Neutrik ¼" plug.

A NAD C-521i CDP.

My amp is a DiY'ed Proto42; The perfboard equivalent of META42 amps.
Has:
No capacitors in signal path.
2 single opamp circuits as opposed to the META42's dual-opamp circuit.
Burr Brown OPA637P (B grade) opamps biased into Class A w/ Cascode JFETs.
Single EL2001CN buffer per channel.
Neutrik Panel locking ¼" jack.

I'm going to rework the amp later though. Make it even more compact and adding a more decent volume pot.
If my $$$ permits, I'll order some Vishay/Dale or Vishay/Roderstein resistors and Solen or Kimber caps.

I should complete my entire set with HD600's as well by the time I enter NS next Feb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back