Blasts from the past: Philips 963-SA versus Sony SCD-CE595...
Oct 29, 2010 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EldradMustLive

New Head-Fier
Hi Everone, I was a member here a few years back under a username I can't remember.  Nice to be back, but it looks like I have a lot to learn about DACs!

Anyway, I have moved recently and I've taken a Philips 963-SA and Sony SCD-CE595 out of storage.  I would like to use one of them for my headphone listening area, and was wondering if anyone can remember which one had better sound (or if the difference is so marginal as to not make a difference)?

The convenience of of the Sony's 5-disc capacity isn't a big deal to me, just interested in which wins out on sound.  My amp is a Corda HA-1 Mk2, and my primary headphones are 2005 Beyer DT880, then DT770 Darths, and occasionally Grado SR-225.  Thanks! 

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 5
I had the 763-SA and wasn't impressed. In addition, the firmware crashed after a while and it wouldn't respond to any commands. I used it about 100 hours total. Waste of time and money.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 5
If you have both, why don't you listen to them and decide for yourself which sounds better? That way you'll be sure to have an opinion you agree with
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back