Blackgates have been discontinued!
Apr 9, 2007 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

cotdt

Headphoneus Supremus
According to this site: http://www.musicaldesign.com
Two months ago they have already ceased production of Blackgates. I am sad, because I've always wanted to try them in various applications. I've never tried the N series, or the WKZ series for tube amps. ARGH! Someone should buy the rights to Blackgates and produce them in China for a third of the cost. I mean, how much could graphite and aluminum possibly cost?

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 47
I could have sworn they were discontinued last year or the year before that and they decided to actually keep up small scale production.

As to moving it to China, yeah that would be great to keep production costs down however they couldn't go charging less for them. Wouldn't be blackgates without the insanely high price tag.

Think of mass produced ferraris selling for the price of hyundais, wouldn't be ferraris then.
wink.gif

Even if they have been discontinued there still should be stock floating around for a bit, not like there'd be a massive demand from anyone but DIYers and small niche audio companies.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 47
You can still buy them....Hurry up and pick up a few to try. Also, there are still the Elnas (i think that is the name) that a lot of people swear are better than black gates.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 47
This "rumour" has been around for years now and they are still available... It's probably just a ploy to kick up the demand.

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 47
Haha.. yes they swear they will discontinue the Black Gates, and nothing ever happens. What happens is that people panic and start to buy them right ahead, regardless of the fact that they wouldn't shell out that amount of money earlier.
That site is a perfect example on why you should always be critical on the sources.
biggrin.gif

Well... seems like i'll order some "reports" http://www.blackgate.jp/ebg3.htm . I can't believe there are no measurements made anywhere, especially in the more technical reports. Jelmax/BlackGate seem to quickly stress that it is used for educational purposes, so it must be objective and true.
Is it safe to ask for the reports, or do i risk becoming a part of the clan... like a tupperware party?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This "rumour" has been around for years now and they are still available... It's probably just a ploy to kick up the demand.

agree with Amb ...

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 47
LOL

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so it's just a ploy to kick up demand? i will not buy them then!

It's not nescessarily a ploy started by BG, often smaller companies/manufacturers/resellers would like to start a "wave" for their own good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 47
They're overpriced electrolytics and they've been "discontinued" some times before. Is there any evidence that these things actually do any better than say some nice Nichicon Muse or Elna Cerafine caps? They have a bunch of crap on their website, I'm just wondering whether this is true or snake oil-type crap.

~Tom

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 47
At least if they were discontinued people would stop paying for them and start paying for things that matter in their circuits! I want to see someone go out and design a capacitorless amplifier. How about that. Imagine a better cicuit, rather than spending loads on something that makes only the tinyiest minutest of differences.

How about using a $10 DC servo to correct the offset problem rather than replacing the electrolytic output with a $30 capacitor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back