Blackgate coupling capacitors, Yay or Nay?
Dec 12, 2005 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, as the title suggestions, what are your feelings on Blackgate capacitors? I'm in the midst of configuring a Singlepower MPX3 and one of the last options I can't figure out of I want or not are the Blackgate coupling capacitors. I've basically nailed down most of my other options (Solen 1, PIO caps, 12V option, stepped attentuator and Supra transformer). Other options I'm a bit split over are the Silver wiring and the Pre Amp outs as well, but much less so.

But back to the main queustion, do you feel that the Black gate caps are a good idea? Are they worth it? Or is it a more mariginal difference over anything if any at all? I've talked to Mikhail and he says they give a little more detail, transparency and clarity. Do you guys agree with that assesment or do you feel that money is better spent elsewhere?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Dec 12, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 37
To be honest with you I dont really like them and find them to be a matter of preference. I like the Elma Cerafines better then the Blackgates. There is a perfectly good reason they are now out of production
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 37
I'm about 70% sure I will go for the Silver wire. That said back to the balck gatess.. So I'm guessing it's mostly to do with the value vs performance that they lack? Not bang for the buck I guess..

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
I'm about 70% sure I will go for the Silver wire. That said back to the balck gatess.. So I'm guessing it's mostly to do with the value vs performance that they lack? Not bang for the buck I guess..

I wouldnt even say they perform better.

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 37
So then is it brand recognition then? Are they the Bose of coupling caps?

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

So then is it brand recognition then? Are they the Bose of coupling caps?

no, bose is garbage.

black gates are awsome, but not the awsome they should be at 3-5 times the money....

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 37
Oh ok, maybe monster cable is a better analogy. Essentially they are decent caps, but they are not jstified by their price. And in fact something that costs a fraction can perform just as good if not better.

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 37
I just "upgraded" my ordered Larocco Pocket Reference II to have Black Gate Caps. After reading through this thread, I hope they're better than the stock caps for an additional $45.
confused.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Hey guys, as the title suggestions, what are your feelings on Blackgate capacitors? I'm in the midst of configuring a Singlepower MPX3

Your siginature said Singlepower MPX3 12/6SN7, Supra, or Supra XLR? I guess you are gitting the MPX3? Because I was thinking of sending my amp back if it ever gets here from Mikhail and ordering the Supra? Any thoughts on why you settled on the MPX3?

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 37
For me there are several factors. Well, if we are speaking in the near future, the simple issues are cost, space needed and existing equipment. Everything I currently own is Single ended. If I were to go balanced, I'd need to start from square one (source, amp, cables/cans). That said if I wait a while, say 1-3 years I would have time to free up more of my assets so I could go for a XLR with a properly balanced system. Howver given the state of the tube market, I fear what it prices would be if I waited a while. To alleviate some of that I have started stockpiling tubes. One of the key problems for me overall is that I'm a college student, and I plan to transfer next year, so I may not even get it any time soon, as I'd probably leave it all at home and just take my portable stuff. However if i wait until I have my own palce or get an apartment, I'd have space to get a higher end system. So in essence you could say it's a combination of the 3 factors I listed above; cost, space needed and my existing equipment. The foundation of which is my current personal status.

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Oh ok, maybe monster cable is a better analogy.

Nope. If the analogy were true, then that would mean Monster Cables are the ultimate cables.

Quote:

Essentially they are decent caps, but they are not jstified by their price.

Perhaps. Then again, depending on how much you want to get that last 1%...

Quote:

And in fact something that costs a fraction can perform just as good

Maybe.
Quote:

if not better.

Probably not.

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #15 of 37
Blackgates reminds me a bit of super-light aftermarket nuts and bolts you could use on your bikes. They cost a fortune and don't exactly give you the best return for your money, but they are definitely lighter than sotck nuts and bolts. Whether or not you think the extra cost is actually worth it is up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back