BlackBerry Z30, as a music player.... one word
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

slash

New Head-Fier
WOW!!!!

So, my company stuck me with a BlackBerry Z30 to replace my iPhone...

...I was pissed until I started using it for my music and now, WOW!!!!  The phone is very cool too with BBM phone calls on UERM's.

Yup, the BlackBerry Z30 is a stunning music player with ALAC files and 320's.  Any file smaller than 320 is noticeably lacking body and sound stage.  I run a set of cheapie Sony's, $10 with no volume control and UERM's and both are significantly improved with a darker background and spacious alive soundstage with what seems to be a more dynamic attack at lower volumes.  My listening group thinks the power supply is the reason but it may also be the chip speed.

As a side note, co-workers have the Z10 and Q10 and after loading comparatively music we agree the Z30 walks on the other devices including iPhone 4/4s/5.  I suspect it is the massive chip performance and or the huge battery supply built into the Z30.

Another co-worker has an Astell & Kern 100 that he travels with and he agrees that the Z30 is special.  Were it not for the limited storage of the Z30 he says he would not use the 100 as the Z30 is so punchy and clean (his words) that the difference between it and the 100 is negligible.

Direct music comparisons loaded and used over a two week test period by 3 fanatical listeners:
Hanuman                       Rodrigo Y Gabriela           11:11                               883   30.6
Palestine Texas             T Bone Burnett                  The True False Identity      941   30.2
Ganges Delta Blues     Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt  A Meeting By The River  632   45.3
There Ain't A Girl Alive  Joan Armatrading              Into The Blues                  1145   36.6

My music buddies now want an upgraded BB device and don't quality until next year.

If anyone else has a BB10 or more recent experience let me know about it as we are curious about your experience.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Hey another Z30 user :)  I love using mine for music.

I just wanted to point out that with the OTG capability the Z30 can output USB audio to an external am/dac. But the stock Z30 music isn't too bad itself! It looks like a mess but I recently got one cable to replace the mess. It connects my Z30 to the E17 with a short cable. Pretty Sweet setup :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 13
  Hey another Z30 user :)  I love using mine for music.

I just wanted to point out that with the OTG capability the Z30 can output USB audio to an external am/dac. But the stock Z30 music isn't too bad itself! It looks like a mess but I recently got one cable to replace the mess. It connects my Z30 to the E17 with a short cable. Pretty Sweet setup :)

Thanks for the info! You just inspire me to go for Z30 as my next phone. :D

I've been using Z10 since it got out and the micro sd card slot is now broken. So i'm looking to switch to android or going with Z30. But i really loved the BB10 so it's hard for me to just change the os.

I have a question. did the DAC work flawlessly with the phone?

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 13

I've been using Z10 since it got out and the micro sd card slot is now broken. So i'm looking to switch to android or going with Z30. But i really loved the BB10 so it's hard for me to just change the os.

Z30 is a good phone but is getting old :p The DAC works perfectly with the phone. Perfect set up on the go for me so I don't need to carry around a separate DAP :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 13

Nice.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 13
BlackBerry user here too. Agree with all the findings in Z30. In addition, it has also well built stereo speakers (top and bottom) which I like more than the speakers on my passport. The sound quality of passport is also nice but I think Z30's sound quality is a bit (slightly) superior over the BlackBerry passport. But both are very good specially for music lovers as BlackBerry has very good integration of their dacs and amp to sound as a high quality DAP.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 13

I tried the mini usb out to a fiio dac too but sadly it didn't work out for this combo. I can seem to make it play right. Sounds do come out but is garbled, unequal, distorted. I guess It's not possible with the passport but I haven't tried it on my Z30 yet. Will try tonight.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 13

I tried the mini usb out to a fiio dac too but sadly it didn't work out for this combo. I can seem to make it play right. Sounds do come out but is garbled, unequal, distorted. I guess It's not possible with the passport but I haven't tried it on my Z30 yet. Will try tonight.

Passport has been confirmed to work with Fiio units. Not sure why it wouldn't :/

Read near the second half of the page where it confirms it: http://audiophileon.com/news/blackberry-passport-review-part-2-audio-quality

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 13
Passport has been confirmed to work with Fiio units. Not sure why it wouldn't :/

Read near the second half of the page where it confirms it: http://audiophileon.com/news/blackberry-passport-review-part-2-audio-quality

Thanks RedJohn! I read the link you sent from start to finish and I liked it. Very informative. I guess I have to try again later to get the audio out of my mini usb to my fiio e17. I really don't know why it's not working on mine. Might be doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 13
I just got a passport and was about to upgrade my onkyo hf player and/or purchase USB audio player pro to use my ha-1 with the passport. The link above was very helpful, thanks for posting. Is there any chance firmware and or OS updates will allow the passport and ha-1 to play nicely together? Is this a blackberry issue?

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 13
I upgraded my z30 to a Passport and must say there are sonic differences.

The z30 is certainly a great performer, however overall the Passport is more quiet, packs a huge sonic dark punch with 128Gb of full file storage that drags straight from my HD straight into the Passport.

BlackBerry, incredibly under appreciated... I suspect many in Indonesia realize the high performance of BB10 devices.  I attribute it to quality of components and battery/power supply size.

I used IEM exclusively through the headphone jack and have compared it to AK100.  The AK100 doesn't perform as well in the drive department, I suspect they haven't put enough power supply into it.

May 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Hello,

is it possible, to use the BB Classic as USB music player? - via OTG adapter?

Until now, i had no success.....
Tried the Onkyo HF Player and USB Audio Player Pro.
Both can't find the: Onkyo DAC-HA200 - which is compatible to "USB Audio Player".

The crux: Both are android app's..... Not BlackBerry 10

P.S. OTG is working - tried an Panasonic DVD-RAM burner - copied (burned) files from the internal SD card to the DVD-RAM.
Everything OK - If the DVD-RAM is formatted from UDF 2.01 to FAT 32 :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back