Black Sabbath Past Lives
post-188642
Post #1 of 4

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
I picked this up in the store last week. I'm not sure exactly what day it was released on.

This is, as I suspected it was, a remastering of the old Live At Last Sabbath album (the only live one featuring Ozzy and not on their regular label).

To put it mildly, this album was pretty poor quality when it was out under the title Live At Last. Sanctuary (the sub-label that publishes Iron Maiden's stuff) has apparently acquired the rights and gone through the trouble of remastering it and adding new tracks.

The results? Very nice. Especially nice for people who are absolutely starved for good Sabbath recordings. The track recording quality is somewhat inconsistent with some tracks really coming alive and some sounding like they maybe could have found a better version. I'd have not sacrificed any of them, though, and it's a nice collection over all.

I especially dig this version of "Hole In The Sky", presumably being played live for one of the very first times.

Just thought I'd let you guys know it was out if anyone cares. The extra priced version includes a guitar pick and a poster. Wee.

post-188644
Post #2 of 4

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I picked this up in the store last week. I'm not sure exactly what day it was released on.

This is, as I suspected it was, a remastering of the old Live At Last Sabbath album (the only live one featuring Ozzy and not on their regular label).

To put it mildly, this album was pretty poor quality when it was out under the title Live At Last. Sanctuary (the sub-label that publishes Iron Maiden's stuff) has apparently acquired the rights and gone through the trouble of remastering it and adding new tracks.

The results? Very nice. Especially nice for people who are absolutely starved for good Sabbath recordings. The track recording quality is somewhat inconsistent with some tracks really coming alive and some sounding like they maybe could have found a better version. I'd have not sacrificed any of them, though, and it's a nice collection over all.

I especially dig this version of "Hole In The Sky", presumably being played live for one of the very first times.

Just thought I'd let you guys know it was out if anyone cares. The extra priced version includes a guitar pick and a poster. Wee.

I will check that out considering Iommi is one of my favorite guitarists.

post-188768
Post #3 of 4

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
Reaction score
I thought the version of "Megalomania" was pretty good, considering how different it sounded to the Sabotage version.

post-188772
Post #4 of 4

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Reaction score
SWEET! Finally a cd to buy...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)