Black Friday Deals
Nov 25, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #31 of 45
Uh oh. I just told the wife "never mind, that b*stardLucidandeverybodyelse is gonna screw things up for us and camp out tonight..." Her answer was "OK, where'd we put the sleeping bags?"
rolleyes.gif

I'm so screwed now... thanks
600smile.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Uh oh. I just told the wife "never mind, that b*stardLucidandeverybodyelse is gonna screw things up for us and camp out tonight..." Her answer was "OK, where'd we put the sleeping bags?"
rolleyes.gif

I'm so screwed now... thanks
600smile.gif

haha

Since we are 2 states apart im sure that ill be going to a different bestbuy than you :p although in califorina it is really bad, people camp out there right after they are done with thanksgiving dinner.

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #33 of 45
I think you should read the fine print on these so called great deals, I mean yeah you can buy a $13 DVD player, but it's a POS
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean it's great for people who do not know any better and don't care since they are getting it for someone else, I suppose.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #34 of 45
I tried my hand at Black Friday shopping @ Office Max. A 200GB WD HDD for $49.99 after rebate, you'd be a bonehead not to get it; however, the lines -- you'd be a bonehead, or better yet, a very patient person to stand in them. Even though all cash registers were moving at full clip, the line ducked and weaved through several aisles.. full length aisles.

Forget about it. Neither will I miss the Belkin 802.11g wireless router for $9.99 after all rebates. I placed both items on a pile of Bic ballpoint pens, crossed the velvet rope, and exited the store empty handed. Well, not actually completely empty handed. I had the glorious experience of getting up, bed head bad hair bad breath, swishing around liquid fire Listerine in my mouth as I frantically searched for my keys, rushing 2 miles to Office Max thinking how clever I was to get there early, finding the parking lot looking like a Superbowl venue on Superbowl Sunday, getting elbowed and steamrolled by mostly Asian and Indian folk (damn them foriegners.. oh.. wait a second), and most imortantly, feeling self important that I am above waiting in line for a couple fantastic deals.

Amazon.com, here I come! Damn it, move over, that's mine! <click add to cart> HAH!

Nov 26, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #35 of 45
hey! just got back from Office Max. god that was FUUUUUN
i got there at about 6am and was about 20th in line. then within 10min line DOUBLED. when it was getting closer to 7, everyone's friends started to come so i was may be 40th person, but since i am 15 and was with my uncle, i didnt crae coz i was gonna skip everyone any way. I met my friend on line and he was there last year so he knew taht we have to go to the door in the back to get most of the free stuff. i RAN to the door like someone was shooting me and i was the 1st one there! hehehe. i fot my stuff then we ran to get the rest. those ****** at office max put free CD-Rs next to $40 ones and the ptice tag was huge so it covered both Cd-Rs, so as you might think, i got the wrong ones and had to refund them after check out. i was lucky that my brother was in the city so he ran to Radio Shack and got CD-Rs from there. so after all, i am VERY happy with my first black friday!

PS sorry for all the spelling mistakes, i am over exited

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #36 of 45
I've always maintained a "no shopping" policy on Black Friday. But (evil) Walmart enticed me with a deal on a portable DVD player that I had to try for. I got up while it was still dark, before the butt-crack of dawn (5am), to be there before 6am when they opened. By 5:45am the line extended a couple hundred yards into the parking lot of Lowes next door. The funniest thing of all were the shopping carts. Walmart's carts have some kind of sensor that locks the wheels when they are taken outside of a certain range from the store, deterring theft I presume. It was crazy watching 65-year old, grey-haired women dragging a non-functioning cart across the parking lot.

Once inside at 6:10am (finally!) I made my way quickly to the electronics department to find my prize, but they were nowhere to be found
frown.gif
! I hear that all the "door-buster" deals are at the front of the store. Rushing back there, again - no player. An associate insists they are back in Electronics, so I go back, braving the insane crowds there. Still not finding what I came for, I engage another associate in pleasant conversation and politely ask where my player might be. She must have felt compassion for me and found them under a shelf behind a counter.

I nabbed my prize, ran to the front of the store to use the self-checkout, and exited the store at 6:26am. Phewww (wipes forehead)! Never underestimate the power of a polite demeanor!

Was it worth it? Absolutely. I got a deal on a crappy, inexpensive portable DVD player that I will use on my morning commute, and some stories to tell people for the next few days. Will I do it again? Probably not. I normally can't stand lines for anything, and this was a very rare occasion for me.

Hope everyone else who braved long lines today were successful in their endeavors, and managed to get home safely (no joke!).

Nov 26, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #37 of 45
Waiting in line? That's one of the perfect times to listen to some tunes. Or I just strategically place myself behind some pretty girls for some chit chat.

This year there's nothing that I really wanted from those stores. So I just slept in.

Nov 26, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by neil
I tried my hand at Black Friday shopping @ Office Max. A 200GB WD HDD for $49.99 after rebate

My dad went over at 3PM and got one, lol...guess the lines weren't bad...

But at Best Buy I waited for 2.5 hours just to get some Norton stuff (dad), and HL and CoD for 10 ea.

CompUSA was quick and effective though, I got lots of stuff, but the main reason I went was for a USB2 card for my dad, the other $500 were just extras...

Nov 26, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I think you should read the fine print on these so called great deals, I mean yeah you can buy a $13 DVD player, but it's a POS
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean it's great for people who do not know any better and don't care since they are getting it for someone else, I suppose.
rolleyes.gif

It's a lot of young families or poor familes buying the stuff. Can't blame them, you know? This is their chance.

I got my geforce 6800 at compusa. Had to be pretty early in line to get it, there were only about 7 in stock. I caught the tail end. Would have been closer to the front of the pack but for some mall police issues. The police told us that we couldn't wait by the door of compusa until 4am. I thought at the time, this guy isn't going to stick around compusa to enforce the rule so people getting there later than me will end up getting in front. Well, yes, that's exactly what happened. Oh well. At least I got to sleep in my car for a while. There were about 4 of the 60gb hdds for $30, in my estimation. I was at the front of the line but they were gone by the time I found out where the drives were.

I'm torn on what mp3 player to get...

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #40 of 45
Got back and just woke up from my nap after this.

Me and about 20 people I know were at teh front of the line. We were there since 9pm
biggrin.gif

We found an outlet and hooked up 2 xboxes, 2 displays, and a LCD tv/dvd player (Family guy).
System link halo + family guy for 8 hours
biggrin.gif

As usual it was fun, espically when I got everything I came for but what do you expect for being first in line
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
Look on the right side of the picture of the 9600XT box

Says: Free Halflife 2 Game.
I will be confirming this when I talk to the BB people when they start handing out the tickets.

14-102-331-07.JPG

This is how the box looks these days. No mention of the game.

Anyways, I ended up getting a grand total of:
NEC3500A 16x DVD burner $60
BenQ 16x DVD burner $40
200 TY 8x DVD+Rs $100 (with 200 more coming tomorrow for $80 more)
80 MCC03 DVD+Rs ($6)
Sandisk 256 MB USB key ($10)
Linksys WRT54G router (45)
Linksys 54G pci NIC (45)
some toys for my neice (WAY too much, but she's worth every penny)

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #42 of 45
Been shopping all year...today was eBay work , decent java, my tree and time with my cat.

Tomorrow morning however is portable vaccum cleaners at Sears for $7 then a sitdown at Starbucks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:37 AM Post #43 of 45
A. I thank God that I did all of my holidays shopping several months ago

B. I tried but I didn't luck out. Oh well. It was wasted time and gas money

C. They don't sell Cardas Golden Reference Power cords at BestBuy, CircuitCity, CompUSA, K-MART, Wal-Mart, or even 6th Avenue Electronics. :sigh:

At least the consumer confidence index tabulations over at the University at Michigan were fairly accurate...if not under-estimated given what I witnessed this morning!
eek.gif

I am fairly confident that holidays 2004 retail season will be stronger than the consensus which places it between 3.9 - 4.1 percent higher than 2003. Duh. Consumer confidence is higher with a slightly improving US economy, US presidential elections decided in favor of pro-business Bush, and better jobs outlook with an unexpected spike in jobs hiring last month. Time to check that portfolio...
cool.gif

By the way, you'd do well to buy Apple products and stock along with Starbucks.
cool.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropism
14-102-331-07.JPG

This is how the box looks these days. No mention of the game.

Anyways, I ended up getting a grand total of:
NEC3500A 16x DVD burner $60
BenQ 16x DVD burner $40
200 TY 8x DVD+Rs $100 (with 200 more coming tomorrow for $80 more)
80 MCC03 DVD+Rs ($6)
Sandisk 256 MB USB key ($10)
Linksys WRT54G router (45)
Linksys 54G pci NIC (45)
some toys for my neice (WAY too much, but she's worth every penny)

In the ad you can clearly make out that it says free halflife 2 game.
We (the 20 or so people I was with) bitched to the manager and he said those of us who got the card can get a copy of the game off the shelf to take with.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #45 of 45
Oooooo, see, you're lucky then. My best buy manager is an ass, I actually got into a fight with him because he was provoking me. BUT, I got my revenge today. Fuji blank media is 50% off yesterday and today, so I grabbed 200 8x DVD+Rs (Taiyo Yuden, top of the line), brought it to the cashier, and not only was it marked down from $80 (100 pack) to $55, it rang up for half that amount. Then, I mentioned the 50% off, and the cashier halved it again. I said "Hmmmm....I'll be right back" and grabbed a few hundred more +/- Rs, basically cleaned them out. I've got close to 1000 blanks from this weekend alone, and another 150 that I had left from my last buying spree. I'm good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back