Black Dragon Cable installed on HD600 -- MAJOR differences in sound stage
May 6, 2010 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

lordsegan

100+ Head-Fier
I just finished building my Black Dragon based XLR cable for my HD600 cans.

Plugged them in.

MAJOR differences in the sound. I absolutely LOVE it.

It is a MUCH wider sound stage. It simultaneously seems to remove the Senn veil somewhat, but at the same time, I feel like I moved back a few rows and the entire song is being played in an amphitheater that is surrounding me. The whole effect is so significant, I would almost guess it was a DSP setting on my sound card (yes I checked lol).

PS.. before today I was a MAJOR cable skeptic. I still do not believe digital cables cause a difference. I actually tested a USB cable once. No difference. But this is real.

Having cut my stock Senn cable open, I noticed it is VERY VERY thin gauge (28+) almost like a hair. The stock cable is also NOT twisted pair, and has no shielding. It also has the ground and signal line running literally touching each other, with enamel as the only insulation.

In contrast, the Black Dragon is shielded, around 20 gauge, and twisted pair. There are also real plastic insulators and strings separating the conductors.

May 6, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 25
Huge placebo.

Assuming both cables were functional, there should be no difference in sound. You do realise, that if cables made a HUGE difference, that manufacturers wouldn't be using these "crappy cables"?

I also like the way how more expensive cables always sound "better", even though there was a thread a long time ago where someones cable was destroyed, and it was a regular cable encased in hose piping.

Still, nothing wrong with major placebo. Congrats on the improvement in your perception of the sound

May 6, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realise, that if cables made a HUGE difference, that manufacturers wouldn't be using these "crappy cables"?

I hate the fact that I'm going here at all, but... this argument is illogical. Headphone manufacturers, like manufacturers of all things, use a complex formula that balances deliverables, product quality and profit margin when determining what materials to use. Their choice of cables is _just_ good enough to achieve a minimum desired level of performance and durability while still ensuring the desired mark-up. It's as simple as that.

May 6, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 25
rolleyes.gif
  Uh huh.

May 6, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 25
Yeah I don't really know what to believe regarding different cables but placebo or not you're happy with the results and thats all that matters.

Quote:
You do realise, that if cables made a HUGE difference, that manufacturers wouldn't be using these "crappy cables"?

As Olias of Sunhillow already mentioned, manufacturers don't put 100% into every headphone... that said you would think that doesn't apply with flagship/statement headphones. I just bought a Sony MDR CD770 and it comes with a Linear crystal oxygen-free copper Litz cord, whats that all about?

May 6, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 25
I dont think its what they add but more like what they dont take away. Adding giant copper cables to your skull candies wont add bass and smoother highs but if you have a nice system then the signal can arrive unscathed. Less distortion and more dynamic, less distortion in the highs and smoother. Seems like Silver makes for some kind of high pass filter. Hope I have that right.

May 6, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 25
Honestly, I am willing to admit its placebo... it could be. But its something! :)

May 6, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 25
Im getting a Blue Dragon on my dt880 (600 ohms), mainly to rewire inside the cans and get it balanced with a 4-pin XLR, but it will also look dam sexy !  

Grats on your new cables imo!  The cable that came with my cans looks super thin and el cheapo.  

Ive swapped tons of different cables in speakers systems, and I swear to you I can tell a difference between copper and pure silver.....:D

*gulp* inc rebuttal posts....

May 6, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 25
i used a pair of stock and a pair of cardas cable in an audio store for a/b testing running on hd650s and i could not hear the difference, i am under the asumption that everything should be burned in as they are all used as samples for about 3/4 years. other then the fact that it looks great i don't think theres an actual difference.

May 6, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 25
This is a beaten to death topic. I just wish I could test out these cables before buying. Some say there is a MAJOR difference, some say a small difference and some say practically no difference to SQ at all ?

I just don't know who to believe. :frowning2:

May 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
I hate the fact that I'm going here at all, but... this argument is illogical. Headphone manufacturers, like manufacturers of all things, use a complex formula that balances deliverables, product quality and profit margin when determining what materials to use. Their choice of cables is _just_ good enough to achieve a minimum desired level of performance and durability while still ensuring the desired mark-up. It's as simple as that.

While this argument could be the reason there are other possibilities which also seem likely. Since the market for cables is undeniable, isn't it equally plausible that if a manufacturer thought that significantly better cables provided a much better sound, they would have made a version of their hi-end fones with amazing cable? There seem to be enough people in the audiophile world who believe better cables = better sound. So the market is there.

So the fact that headphone manufacturers do not go this way can also mean that they do not feel that the sound improvements either exist or are substantial enough to justify the higher price. That is a different reason then the one you mentioned.

May 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:

While this argument could be the reason there are other possibilities which also seem likely. Since the market for cables is undeniable, isn't it equally plausible that if a manufacturer thought that significantly better cables provided a much better sound, they would have made a version of their hi-end fones with amazing cable? There seem to be enough people in the audiophile world who believe better cables = better sound. So the market is there.

So the fact that headphone manufacturers do not go this way can also mean that they do not feel that the sound improvements either exist or are substantial enough to justify the higher price. That is a different reason then the one you mentioned.

But obviously the OP can hear a difference, so why not debate the cable doubt in the sound science forum instead?

I found that weak headstage was a drawback of the very similar HD580. How much was that Black Dragon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back