Black Dragon Cable installed on HD600 -- MAJOR differences in sound stage
May 6, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #16 of 25
I have never been sure what to believe about the whole cable myth. So i just get the best cables i can afford which is usually the stock and go with that. But i am saving to get some nice senns and eventually i will want to upgrade the cable on those too.

But i am glad that the OP is hearing a difference after all that is all that matters

May 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
I hate the fact that I'm going here at all, but... this argument is illogical. Headphone manufacturers, like manufacturers of all things, use a complex formula that balances deliverables, product quality and profit margin when determining what materials to use. Their choice of cables is _just_ good enough to achieve a minimum desired level of performance and durability while still ensuring the desired mark-up. It's as simple as that.

The fact that many manufacturers overlook cables should at least be an indication to you that they dont make a difference - or at the very least make extremely small difference.
Manufacturers don't use $800 cables on their statement products. If statement products are indeed about sound quality or likeability - and cables made a difference - they would use them.

Still, Physics tells us that cables that do their job don't make a difference. Simple as that.

May 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:
The fact that many manufacturers overlook cables should at least be an indication to you that they dont make a difference - or at the very least make extremely small difference.
Manufacturers don't use $800 cables on their statement products. If statement products are indeed about sound quality or likeability - and cables made a difference - they would use them.

The fact that Sennheiser doesn't use AKG or Beyerdynamic designs, but their better own designs should tell us that AKG and Beyerdynamic headphones are crap!
wink.gif

May 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

The fact that Sennheiser doesn't use AKG or Beyerdynamic designs, but their better own designs should tell us that AKG and Beyerdynamic headphones are crap!
wink.gif

Heh, well put.  That's a good way to explain that tortured bit of logic.

From my own experience, I've noticed both minor improvements and problems from switching between cables on my HD600.  I use the HD650 cable right now, as it seems to offer the best balance of SQ and comfort.

I don't think anybody is interested in having the argument about whether or not changing cables actually makes a difference.  Can't we just leave that issue alone for once?

May 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

You should probably use a more suitable analogy next time, rather than one that constitutes a law suit for stealing patented design without permission or paying royalties per sale if they are permitted to use it.

Plus, I haven't seen anyone selling a T1 in favour of the 800, but I've seen the opposite :wink:

a. Come back when physics agrees with you and not me
b. There's a 1 million dollar prize up for grabs if you can prove expensive cables make a difference over monster calbes (i think it is still in effect, it might have expired, though). You're more than welcome to claim it! Heck, I'll give you the entire contents of my bank account if you can prove it.
c. What you have said doesn't stop my statement from being any less true. Simple logic would dictate that, since they are using quality components for the rest of the headphones to imrpove sound and durability, they would use quality cables to improve sound or durability. Actually, thats true, they use a durable cable, in most cases.

Furthermore, basic comprehension would be grand.
i. I said it is merely an indication, not a self-evident truth
ii. If this were indeed free market and Sennheiser were free to "steal" designs of the competition, their choice to not use it would simply indicate their desire to not use it, or their design to produce their own design, possibly better. It doesn't have a correlation with the quality of the beyer/AKG design, simply a correlation to the mindset of those at sennheiser and their perception of their own abilities.

May 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
...I haven't seen anyone selling a T1 in favour of the 800, but I've seen the opposite :wink:

In my analogy you can of course insert and swap labels to your liking.
bigsmile_face.gif

But seriously: I've been swapping HD 600/650 cables since quite a while, and they certainly make a difference to me. Lately I have recabled my HD 800. The two (!) ordered aftermarket cables sound significantly different than the stock cable, and very different among each other. I definitely believe the thread starter that his Black Dragon improved the sound, as did the Silver Dragon with both my HD 600 and 650 as well as its latest implementation on my HD 800. Independent of what your (interpretation of) physics tell!
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #22 of 25
I was a cable skeptic until this past weekend. This isn't headphone related, but still the same topic. In my stereo system I swapped between homemade interconnects and a friends old MIT 330 plus cables. The only difference I heard was the soundstage was about a foot deeper into the room and I could follow cymbals with precision versus my cable. Cymbals with my cable got mixed into the music. Would I notice if I wasn't A/B'ing, probably not because it was minimal, but there was definitely a difference. I A/B'd for an hour to make sure I wasn't crazy. It wasn't placebo and I would have no problem putting money on it. I haven't listened with my phones to see if it makes a difference and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't since speakers are a whole different listening expereince.

Should we tell the people can see rainbows with DLP that they are lying. Surely if I can't see it, it must be a placebo.

May 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 25
The physics shows us that these aftermarket cables do provide a more efficient transmission of signals to your cans.  The materials used, as well as their dimensions and insulation are all factors in creating the most effective transmission lines for our audio signals. 

I agree, however, that manufacturers provide cables with a "just high enough" quality so that the difference in perceived sound quality from that of aftermarket cables is close to negligible.  Of course, there are people like our OP who can hear differences in SQ much more easily than others (lets not get into 320 vs FLAC).  At the end of the day, is the $200+ cable worth the improvement in SQ?  For that kind of money, I'd want to go out and upgrade my source.

May 9, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #24 of 25
I have a pair of HD650's and I had a custom cable made from Kimber PBJ cable for $80.
And I did it Purely for cosmetic reasons.
(I wish the new stuff would get here, there is something else I have to say.)

May 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #25 of 25

Quote:

Still, Physics tells us that cables that do their job don't make a difference. Simple as that.

manufacturers not using expensive cables, this is NO indication that they do not make a difference ..... whatsoever....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back