Black Cube Linear VS Graham Slee Solo
Mar 4, 2008 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dorito123

Banned
I have some 650s and some 701s and im a detail freak. I recently came to the conclusion that the best way to power both properly would be a good SS amp in the 400 to 1000 price range. Judging by the specs my inclination is to go with the BCL just because it seems to be more powerful and would probably be more apt to drive the 701s well. Then again I like having 2 inputs like the GSS has. I guess if I had to choose or compromise somewhere then I would choose to go with the amp that favors the 650s. Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 16
I've owned a Lehmann Black Cube Linear for some time. I've heard the HD650/stock cable with a Graham Slee Solo, but not the K701.

Both the BCL and Solo drive the HD650 very well. Match either amp with a good source and it will sound very good. The first time I heard the HD650+Solo was with a Lavry Gold. That was a sublime experience.

The regular RCA version of the BCL has only one set of inputs, but it also has a set of preamp outs. It also has adjustable gain.

If you really are a detail freak, the HD650 or K701 might not be the most suitable headphones.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 16
I already have the 701 and 650 and if I tell the wife I want more headphones im dead. I have a nice dac and what I really want is a nice amp that is capable of driving both. Have you guys seen the X-CANv8? Looks pretty cool. I mentioned im a detail freak because I didnt want a horde of Tube advocates recomending Singlepower and the like. I am open to suggestions though, even if it has tubes.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 16
I've had both the K701 and HD650 with the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, and if you want detail, I agree with d-cee, go with Stax (which I've also had)!

If that's impossible, ask elephas what headphones he'd suggest for detail with the BCL or the Solo. An Audio-Technica, perhaps? You could always sell the HD650 and K701 to fund the change.

And work on the wife...................
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 16
I own a GS Green Solo (preproduction 2008 model), and I'm extremely happy with it. I also use HD600s. Unfortunately my source isn't that great (an mbox2, its D/A is bogstandard 44.1/48/24 bit), and I'm using only the stock cable for the 600s all due to budget restrictions. This is my first headphone set up. Though my friend who used to run his HD600s out of a pinkfloyd modded X-can v2 thought the sound was better out of the solo, listening to it before it had any significant burn in. The bass is ample and has a good deal of depth - I use a rel storm II with my monitors, and whilst the 600s lack the infrasound it's not a lean sound to me and I listen to the odd bit of D n B, electronica as well as a fair bit of jazz and acoustic music.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 16
I too am considering both of these amps. Could anyone give more details about the sonic differences between the two? Right now I have a Gilmore Lite and 650s and am looking for an amp with a bit more powerful of a sound.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too am considering both of these amps. Could anyone give more details about the sonic differences between the two? Right now I have a Gilmore Lite and 650s and am looking for an amp with a bit more powerful of a sound.

I did an extended comparison between these two amps a year or so ago, using, among others, these two phones.
First off: I find both amps are equally good with both phones.
There are some differences in sound signature though:
The Lehmann is a bit more delicate sounding, extremely detailed and transparent. Fast.
The Solo is slightly on the warm side, more dynamic and a bit more foreward sounding. Very good detail, but not as extreme as the Lehmann.
Both are plenty powerful and drive both phones really well in that regard.

I finally went for the Rudistor NX-33
tongue.gif
(now RPX-33), which sound signature I find to be very similar to the Solo.
Balanced is sooooo good on the HD650.
cool.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did an extended comparison between these two amps a year or so ago, using, among others, these two phones.
The Lehmann is a bit more delicate sounding, extremely detailed and transparent. Fast.
The Solo is slightly on the warm side, more dynamic and a bit more foreward sounding. Very good detail, but not as extreme as the Lehmann.

tongue.gif
cool.gif

Which would you say wins the bass impact contest? Thanks for the impressions.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif
cool.gif

Hmm, they both sound good. I think I might be leaning toward the BCL. I heard it once at a meet compared to the Gilmore Lite, I really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back