Bjork: where to start?
Jan 19, 2006 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

MikeB06

500+ Head-Fier
With my love of Sigur Ros growing every time I listen to their CDs since I bought them in Oct/Nov and in anticipation of seeing them live, now I want to dip into some more Icelandic music. The next logical step in that direction see to obviously be Bjork for me. What album should I start out with? Any suggestions? What should I be expecting? I'm hoping to get at least a couple replies before I go to bed, as I'll likely go to Best Buy tomorrow morning to pick up a CD. Thanks in advance!
orphsmile.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Homogenic is definitely my favorite. It was my first, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a first to anybody else.

Yes, if you have to go with one of her traditional albums then this would be my rec as well. It's too bad that the album version of "All is Full of Love" is not as good as the single/Greatest Hits version.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 35
First, expect something very different from Sigur-Ros.

Bjork is in a league all her own; genre-less.

Id say combine, pop, trip-hop, electronic/experimental with a bit of just about everything else.

There is no doubt she is an absolute genius...I started with the FLAWLESS album "Homogenic" and never looked back.
Smoked a couple of cigarrettes with her back in the day at Palladium, a very famous club here in NYC. Barely new who she was back then but she was a trip to talk to nontheless.
She put Iceland on the map with her work with the Sucarcubes before she went solo in the early/mid 90's.

While your at it, pick up some: Massive Attack, Portishead, Hooverphonic and Sade...all genius female singers, flawless production and beautiful music.
Enjoy.

P.S. Mum is really good as well-another Icelandic export.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 35
I think I may go with Homogenic. I think I would rather go from album to album first rather than diving right into her greatest hits. I am looking forward to a VERY unique sound. I remember being younger and seeing her videos every so often on MTV during the 90s and being like "what the hell is this?", but back then I really didn't stray away from Green Day, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Offspring, etc., so I am looking forward to giving her an honest listen now.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
P.S. Mum is really good as well-another Icelandic export.

Dude.. Múm rules. Seriously, Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Is OK is probably one of the coolest albums I own.

Excellent recommendation to go along with your Bjork
580smile.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 35
Well although homogenic is my favorite, why not start with debut? I think its a great album and if you start from the beginning you can see how her music progressed. (Not counting her sugarcubes stuff of course.)

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 35
Well, if "starting" implies that you already think you'll be continuing, then the Greatest Hits is probably a waste. But if you're actually not sure whether you like Bjork, then that would be what to get. The most recent album, Medulla, is the most experimental and so perhaps not the best place to get to know Bjork.

Jan 19, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 35
I'm very fond of Björk, but only since Homogenic (Debut and Post never really interested me). If you're coming from Sigur Ros, I'd recommend starting there. Then Vespertine (my fav), Selmasongs and Medulla.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 35
I used to loathe Bjork, especially when she first came out as a solo artist, and Venus as a Boy filled the airwaves. It was only considerably later that I recognised she is an artist of immense talent. Not only does she has a unique vocal style, she writes excellent lyrics too.

I think for starter Post is her most approachable (read: pop) album. After that you may either pick Homogenic (more confrontational) or Medulla (more, well, humanistic?)

Be sure to look for her music videos. She and her various visual collaborators have brought the art of music video to a new era.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 35
I would like to solicit the experts' opinion on the box set "The Family Tree".

family-tree.gif

Yay or nay?

And why?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 35
absolutely difficult to choose which album to start off with Bjork , really really difficult , and personal

I can't choose myself which one is the best
confused.gif
tongue.gif
I like them all but very differently .

From what I can see - and hear - in the case of bjork is very personal " which , or what , and when , and why " album

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 35
I agree Post is a more accessible album than Homogenic, maybe a better place to start but they are both fantastic.

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 35
I was given Vespertine for the head-fi CD exchange, and it is a gorgeous, beautiful album. Bjork deserves to be heard in album context - she never really lent herself to a "Greatest Hits" format really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back