Bitrate Preference?
Jul 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's LAME -V 2 --vbr-new for me.

If you're using the most recent release of LAME (3.98), you don't need the --vbr-new switch.

I use -V 5.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #22 of 37
I use VBR from the LAME V 0 setting, so it's generally around 250 kbps.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're using the most recent release of LAME (3.98), you don't need the --vbr-new switch.

I use -V 5.

I wasn't aware of that; thanks for the info. I use Hydrogenaudio's currently recommended version, 3.97, however. Any idea why they haven't bumped their recommendation up to 3.98? The wiki has been updated since the 3.98 release, and it acknowledges 3.98 as the latest stable build...but no change in recommendation thus far.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some reading and figured it out. In essence, 3.98 needs to go through the formality of public listening tests to verify that it is indeed a general improvement over 3.97 and features no glaring regressions. The fact that it has been heavily tested throughout its many beta stages, though, provides every indication that it's the superior version. Guess I should get to updating...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

I wasn't aware of that; thanks for the info. I use Hydrogenaudio's currently recommended version, 3.97, however. Any idea why they haven't bumped their recommendation up to 3.98? The wiki has been updated since the 3.98 release, and it acknowledges 3.98 as the latest stable build...but no change in recommendation thus far.

Probably because nobody have performed a listening test with the 3.98 yet.
It need to earn reputation as the recommended version. It don't automatically get one when a new version is put out..
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some reading and figured it out. In essence, 3.98 needs to go through the formality of public listening tests to verify that it is indeed a general improvement over 3.97 and features no glaring regressions. The fact that it has been heavily tested throughout its many beta stages, though, provides every indication that it's the superior version. Guess I should get to updating...
smily_headphones1.gif

3.96 actually bit me. In a very quiet part on one song, it started producing loud clicks. It would actually do this with a very quiet tone embedded in very quiet white noise too.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 37
I recently switched from 320kbps aac to apple lossless. Don't know if there's a noticible difference yet though I've been told in the past there isn't one.......
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently switched from 320kbps aac to apple lossless. Don't know if there's a noticible difference yet though I've been told in the past there isn't one.......
confused.gif

There may be no audible difference, but there is a digital difference

even if you cannot hear the improvement the Lossless is as an archival quality copy while the other, well . . . has losses
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #30 of 37
*tisk tisk* I would imagine at head-fi you guys would only have lossless. I'm ashamed lol. I don't know but I only got 320kb because I don't want to get the FreQShow and get annoyed by a bad source :|.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back