Bithead vs. Microstack questions
Apr 21, 2006 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
I have this question posted in another thread, but the thread has changd it's direction from it's original title. Here it is:

cool, thanks for all the replies. That said, any opinions on the comparison/difference betweent the NEW bithead and the microstack? I am guessing that the Microstack blows it away, but Curious how much difference. I ask this becuause I am considering a portable rig for my laptop to take to school, different locations in my house, Panara, etc. The MicroStack is more transportable than portable, but that is ok if the quality of sound is that large. BTW...I will mainly be driving IEM with them, but may get some smaller cans to use with it now and then. I also want to be able to drive my 240m (600ohm) with it at home, but if the sound with IEM is not that vastly improved by the Microstack that cannot be done with the Bithead, then I may just get an ultraportable setup, and invest in a staionary set up to drive full sized opne cans later (I also want to drive my soon-to-purchase HD650 and AKG K701).

thanks for the replies

Apr 23, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 23
As I'm sure you know, the old BH had problems driving IEMs quietly. That issue should be resolved by the variable gain switch on the new model, but I've not read or experienced this myself, so don't quote me on it. The new AH/BH are in general much improved upon the previous iterations, and have been getting a lot of praise around here.

The Micro Stack is a nice amp/DAC, and is clearly going to outperform the BH. But at three times the cost of the latter, one would be rather disappointed if there were not the case. Are the improvements worth the money? That's a tough one to answer, and depends on how much you value a marginal dollar as against a marginal improvement in sound quality.

As a feeble attempt to provide some answer to your question, I'd be a little concerned about you not being overwhelmed by the BH amp with a SMIII as your reference. The SMIII is more in league with the Micro Amp, IMHO. If you like the sound of your SMIII, then you might be better off looking into a stand-alone DAC rather than an amp/DAC combo. The Micro DAC, echo indigo, etc… are all good options there.

Did that help even a little?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 23
I am using the SM3v2 as a reference, but with the same opamp as the BH. I know there is more to it than op-amp, but Im just saying. Now, I want an ultraportable rig for on the go, and would like the USB DAC ability, that is why I am thinking about the BH. Maybe sell the SMv3, and then in a couple months get a standalone DAC and a (maybe portable) desktop for the serious stuff. I am just curious if the BH will come anyhwere close to the SMv3. BTW, I value audio gain over dollar value, so I am willing to shell out a couple hundred bucks more for improvement.

Then again, I see you have the microstack as your portable laptop rig. Is it small enough, or does it end up getting too big for taking it around the place? Can you give me any feedback on when and how you use it? The Micro line DOES seem to be the sweet spot, although The BH are cool.

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 23
Will the turtle beach work on an apple computer? Furthermore, I am going to sell my Macro and get a mini for ultraportable listening (which is almost exclusively done with IEMs). Now I need a competant home amp, but I still like the idea that I can throw some batteries in it when I want to move to the living room or something. I also need a DAC, so I am considering the Stack. I just want to know if there is a gain in quality between the macro and stack, or if the BH comes close, or whatever.

And as to angler, just want opinion on his usage of the stack

BTW....I did a search on the TBAAM and it seems that it will end up being the weak link in the chain. I was reading the specs and reviews that it may fall short. Then again, it can be had for less than 30 bucks. Anyone else cna comment on it vs. the stack? I just dont want to get upgraditis, but at the same time dont want to spend too much. yes, I obsess

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 23
Actually, that TBAAM looks pretty cool for on-the-go. I wonder how worthy it is hooked up to the mini. Can anyone give me more info on how it is used and the quality of sound that comes out of it? How much is someone like me trading off in sq over the micro and M-audio Flying Cow?

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 23
I have a couple TBAAMs and a Micro DAC, and the Micro DAC is absolutely the superior source.

That said, I've yet to burden my laptop bag with the Micro DAC. The TBAAM sounds decent enough for E4's-in-the-cafe use, takes essentially no space in the bag or on table or lap, and doesn't require a wallwart or a supply of 9V's. So for me it's a great little piece of on-the-go kit, and at the price I highly recommend it for that purpose.

From your post(#6) it sounds like what you want is essentially a transportable desktop DAC. For that the Micro DAC is a very good choice.

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
Then again, I see you have the microstack as your portable laptop rig. Is it small enough, or does it end up getting too big for taking it around the place? Can you give me any feedback on when and how you use it? The Micro line DOES seem to be the sweet spot, although The BH are cool.

If you don't mind spending, I'd say the Micro line is the sweet spot in the HR lineup. (Especially the Micro DAC, which is nice for the price.) Well, if you really got the money, then the Desktop Amp with Home upgrades starts to exert some real pressure... but I'll assume you're not ready to spend quite $1k just yet.

As far as size is concerned, it isn't tiny. To try to give you some idea of its size: its length from front to back is about the diameter of a CD, its width is about 2/3 the diameter of a CD, and when stacked its height is about 1/2 the diameter of a CD. The stack isn't going to fit in your pocket.

Battery life is well documented. You're not going to go too long without needing a fresh set if you choose the Desktop upgrade or plan on using the DAC without the AC adapter.

I'd say transportable is the word to use. I take it with me to make my office hours a little less torturous; as long as you don't have a high impact commute and have a nice desk to put it on when you get to your destination, the stack is happy. If you plan on dragging it around with you on a regular basis though, I'd spring for the Micro Strap and bag.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 23
thanks for the help. You guys have helped me justify my purchase.

And yes, I DO want to use it trasportably, not while on the go. I have my ipod system for that.

that said....why not get the TBAAM for 30 bucks. LOL

anyways, my questions and doubts are answered. thank you

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
thank you

To repay us, you can provide a full review when your new rig is all burned in.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 23
Don't forget that Headroom just announced new upgrades for the modules. It should sound even better!

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 23
Supposedly the new (as in BRAND new) Total Bithead is supposed to be really sweet. I had the previous version brand new in Oct. 2005, but returned it very quickly because it just couldn't drive my Senns. But Jude told me at the meet on Sunday that the new Bitheads can drive the higher impedance cans and sound really nice. But the Micro Stack will certainly sound much better. But for IEMs, I'd imagine you'll be very happy with the new Bitheads.

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
And it certainly does. The new modules are SWEET.

When we say new, we mean the '06 modules, right?

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back