Bithead or Porta Corda for a Powerbook?
Apr 1, 2005 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sacundim

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a small amp for office use, and am considering the Headroom Bithead and the Meier Porta Corda. The computer is a Powerbook G4 (which has quite a reasonable headphone jack already); the primary headphones are a Sony MDR-V7 (though I might also use them with an ER-6).

Things that are good about both:
  • They are small.
  • They have a 1/8" plug.
  • They can operate from external power (USB with the Bithead, AC adapter for the Corda).
  • They both have a crossfeed circuit.

Points where the Porta Corda wins:
  • I already have a Corda HA-2 at home, which I'm pretty happy with.
  • I know I do like the Meier Crossfeed circuit. (Haven't heard Headroom's yet.)
  • Better circuit? (I don't believe the Bithead can do Class A operation.)

Point where the Bithead wins:
  • USB input (better sound quality?).
  • Fewer cables.
However, the Powerbook's audio out is pretty decent. So there's a serious question here: how much of an improvement can I expect out of the Bithead's USB input, given my Powerbook's audio out and headphones?

Apr 1, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 5
I haven't listened to either of those amps. What I listen with is a SuperMacro V1 and sony V6s. I tried it iwth the firewire solo in between, but couldn't hear an improvement, so I pulled it from the path. I can't imagine the bithead sounds better than the solo as a DAC, and the amp section isn't that highly regarded. I'd recommend watching for a supermacro v1 in the forsale section, or graba supermini v3 when they become available from http://www.fixup.net

These really are remarkable little amps...

Apr 1, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Jan Meier is coming with a new Portacorda with an USB input. Maybe you can wait until it's available.

Apr 1, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
Jan Meier is coming with a new Portacorda with an USB input. Maybe you can wait until it's available.

Oooh, I didn't know that. That settles it, thanks :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back