Bitche's Brew-The Complete Set (worth it?)
Jul 21, 2009 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Facade19

100+ Head-Fier
My friend let me borrow his Bitche's Brew recording and I must obtain my own copy (along with In A Silent Way). To keep this short, do you think the complete set of Bitche's Brew is the worth the price difference between the 2cd set? Are the extra recordings worth the price difference? I really want to get my won copy, but am considering getting the complete set if it is worth it.
Thanks!!
atsmile.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 14
Are you just starting on your Miles Davis collection? Bitche's Brew is IMHO his most overrated record and instead of getting the complete set you are better off getting more Miles Davis albums.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 14
I am not so new to Miles Davis.
I have his complete Prestige Quintet session set as well as Kind of Blue.
I need to acquire his Birth of the Cool and Round About Midnight, but what I heard from Bitche's Brew has changed me very much in this short span. I am simple left wanting more of this "style".

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..instead of getting the complete set you are better off getting more Miles Davis albums.

I think this is where your best option is going to lie. All of his stuff (I think), has the extended cuts in some form, the question is whether or not Bitches Brew really gets you going. And how can you know, without listening to his other offerings anyway?

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend let me borrow his Bitche's Brew recording and I must obtain my own copy (along with In A Silent Way). To keep this short, do you think the complete set of Bitche's Brew is the worth the price difference between the 2cd set? Are the extra recordings worth the price difference? I really want to get my won copy, but am considering getting the complete set if it is worth it.
Thanks!!
atsmile.gif

If you would like to listen to the whole set, I would go to lala.com and search "The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions." Sign up is free for lala, and you can listen to the whole thing once through. I'm signed up with lala, and they are a good service to listen through a CD before deciding on buying it. They have a pretty extensive catalog, and they are a legitimate service.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 14
No. Columbia does this with pretty much every Davis record they put out so that people who already have it go out and shell out more money for a few bonus tracks. Just go with the original track listing.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 14
I have the set and enjoy it and wanted to give you some additional information about what you get.

Columbia/Sony with the Miles Davis box sets has taken a chronological approach to these releases which means that they gather up everything that was recorded at these sessions. This means three things.

1. the tracks are not always presented in original album order but tend to be by recording date. You can "reconstruct" the album fairly easily though.

2. In these session a lot of tracks that were not on the original album ended up making their way to subsequent albums. The box set really focuses on this specific band at these specific sessions.

3. There are several alternate versions and even a couple of tunes that came forward later in altered forms on other albums. If you are a fanatic and are interested how a song can evolve, these are awesome, but if you are a more casual fan it gets repetitive.

The packaging is very nice and I'm happy with mine, but they are expensive.

That being said, if I was going to get only one of the sets, it would be the Miles Davis and John Coltrane set and not this one.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 14
I got the Miles Davis and Gil Evans box - very different from BB, but still awesome, and I'd take it over the Jack Johnson sessions box I picked up recently (which I like a lot). Just a matter of different Miles for different moods I guess.

- Ed

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Before jumping to Bitches Brew, id go with Filles de Kilimanjaro and In a Silent Way to ease you in to the electric stuff. Or maybe the rest of Miles/Wayne Shorter/Tony Williams band stuff as well.

The complete BB is definitely worth it if you can get a good deal (no more than 40 bucks.) But it isnt really 'the complete' more just Bitches Brew + songs recorded 6 months later and have no relation.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 14
is true that there are really a lot of "better" cds that you can get before BB. filles de kilmanjaro and in a silent way both are good. on the corner and live evil/the cellar door sessions also as good if not better.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 14
If you like Miles funky electric work, please don't forget the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions.
Some inspired stuff that never made the actual release.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 14
As I am tying this I am listening to Mood from E.S.P.
Prior to that I listened to Filles De Kiimanjaro.
Like I stated, I will get In A Silent Way. My point was whether the complete set of BB is worth getting in comparison to the regular release. Not getting is out of the question, as like I mentioned already, I totally dig BB.
Sometimes I wonder if some repliers have failed to take note of what has been written in the original inquiry. But I still I appreciate all the input. I guess I will with the regular edition, so as to be able to afford more of Miles' releases (A Tribute to Jack Johnson)!

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My point was whether the complete set of BB is worth getting in comparison to the regular release. Not getting is out of the question, as like I mentioned already, I totally dig BB.
Sometimes I wonder if some repliers have failed to take note of what has been written in the original inquiry.

So you noticed, eh? Welcome to head-fi…
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back