Bit the Bullet: E-mu 0404 On Its Way
Aug 10, 2004 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I managed to find an 0404 on ebay from an authorized dealer, and managed to win the auction at $89, free s/h; that's $2 less than had I haggled Guitar Center (who would have charged me sales tax). So I'l be able to offer comparisions between the audigy2 platinum, the rme digi 96/8 pad, and the emu 0404 (all stock). I still haven't invested in an amp, so it will be a raw comparision.

Quick question... does anyone see any potential problems with having 3 soundcards in one pc at the same time?

Aug 10, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 20
people have had problems with emu and audigys at the same time, but i have no idea if newer driver versions have fixed it.

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 20
3 cards no problem. I think at one point I had 5 or 6
tongue.gif

onboard
RME PST
Audiophile 24/96
Audiophile USB
Sonica

You may have issues with Audigy and emu.

Aug 10, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 20
I have the Audigy2 and the 1212M, and I have no problems. What you want to do is first install the Audigy and make sure it is all updated and ready to go. Then insert the EMU into an open PCI slot and power up your machine. DO NOT let windows install your card. Press Cancel when Add Hardware Wizard comes up. Insert the EMU CD and install drivers. After that, try a little head to head and see if you can hear a difference. Try to use ASIO output whenever possible with the EMU, as it bypasses kmixer and ensures a clean signal.

BTW: congrats on the purchase, you'll have a great 2 ch. source for a long time to come.

Aug 10, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richteralan
It probably will never be fixed because the 2 drivers have the same filename:
ctaud2k.sys

installing either one will replace the existing same driver file.

That's ridiculously easy to fix for any driver dev team.

Thanks for the heads up roadtonowhere. I've already got the audigy2 installed with the latest drivers, so Im hoping I won't run in to any problems, cause I play too many games to lose eax. XP better not try installed drivers on its own without giving me the chance to do my own install. Do I need to disable pnp for that or not?

Aug 10, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 20
Hey road and djooky - are both of your audigy cards below your emu0404 (pci slot)?

And are your unbalanced inputs and outputs 1/4" rather than rca? Everyone here made it sound like they were going to be rca connectors, but as it turns out, that's only for the japanese version. That makes connecting straight to headphones a lot easier

Aug 10, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 20
I plugged my emu 0404 in the last bottom pci slot, below my audigy2.

Yes, I had to buy two 1/4->RCA adapters. It doesn't bother me much. Of course, I would have prefered RCA connectors, but well...most professional cards or semi professional use 1/4'' connectors, I doubt it changes the sound anyway.

When I joined head-fi, I almost bought the RME digi pad, so I wonder how the emu 0404 stand up against it.

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 20
Hey guys Im having trouble finding the adaptor I need to directly plug my headphones into the emu.

I need this only I want the male ends to fit the mono outputs of the emu to stereo (actually, if there was one with a female 1/4", that would save another adaptor in the chain). Can anyone find what Im looking for?

Edit: or is a stereo cable such as this completely capable of carrying and combining a mono signal properly?

Aug 11, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Check out this post.

Well that's a bit of an overcomplication if the product I've linked to can properly support mono channels (or if there's an adaptor to do exactly as I've described). Stereo to rca to stereo... that's a lot of cash on cheapo adaptors! Oh, and I think you have 1/4" and 1/8" confused... 1/8" is smaller than 1/4". The emu outs are 1/8".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back