Bit Perfect with a Mac
May 29, 2010 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JMIJohn

New Head-Fier
I will soon have a 2010 Macbook Pro.
If I use my Aune DAC through USB with iTunes, is it bit perfect or do I need to do something beyond that?

Thanks!

May 30, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 13
It may not be bit-perfect out of the box.
But set up iTunes and Audio MIDI Setup properly and you will get bit-perfect output through USB.

In iTunes make sure:
- "Sound Enhancer", "Sound Check" and "Crossfade Songs" are turned OFF.
- The EQ is turned OFF.

In Audio MIDI Setup make sure:
- The output format match the one of the played back audio file(s). Ex. 16-bit/44.1kHz for audio CD.

May 31, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Hi Kai, just bought my first iMac! Where is the Audio MIDI Setup? I can't find the equalizer on iTunes.

I am not on my Mac right now, so not exactly sure where it is located. But just open Spotlight (top right corner) and type "audio".
I believe you find the iTunes EQ under the "Window" menu.

Congrats on the fresh Mac. :D

May 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 13
It sure can't hurt to double-check, but iTunes should run bit-perfect on a Mac straight out of the box with no fiddling. When I double-checked my new MacBook Pro a few months ago, everything was pre-set as it should be. Congratulations on a great computer and music server.

May 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Audio MIDI Setup is located in the Utilities folder: Applications/Utilities

You can also shortcut to the Utilities folder by pressing: Shift+Command+U from the Finder

May 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Hi Kai, just bought my first iMac! Where is the Audio MIDI Setup? I can't find the equalizer on iTunes.

The EQ can be found in the "Window" menu when in iTunes, or just hit command-option-2.  If you have a mixture of 16/44.1 and 24/96 files and don't want to stuff around, just set Audio-midi Setup to 24/96 and be done with it. Wont make any audible difference.

May 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks, found the equalizer and it is currently off as it should be. 
wink.gif

tfarney, good to see you post again. It has been a while since I saw you post, hope you are doing well.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Doing well, Miguel, I hope you are too. I'm still deep into computer audio, though I've simplified, acquired some active speakers and focused on music instead of gear. I'm becoming a jazz fan in my old age...

Tim

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Jun 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 13
The used CD store is your friend, Miguel. I'm shocked at the stuff I've found there at 50 cents on the dollar. Time? A glass of wine and a pair of headphones after the family has gone to bed. I'll sleep when I'm dead

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back