Bit Perfect Audio from Linux
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #376 of 544
I just google a vi cheat sheet for quick use if its beyond basic movement and editing.

I brought up the vi and vim difference, more of a warning. Vim has a lot of goodies, so everyone I know who uses vi for coding is actually a vim user.  Basic vi is really small, and thus its included with a lot of things in base systems. (Like BSD's and Busybox). 

My emacs though is rather heavy weight for emacs... but its lighter than most modern IDE's. :)

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #377 of 544
Wow gmusicbrowser is indeed very nice. Thanks for the tip. If you want to listen to ALAC on gmusicbrowser you need to install gstreamer ffmpeg plugin.

Code:
 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

Source:http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu.html

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #378 of 544
hello there,
does anyone know if it's possible to access Tidal via MPD or within Cantata?

my System: 
Cayin OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 - mpd (0.19.10)/Cantata (2.0.0 - 20.1) - Cayin iDAC6

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #381 of 544
Thanks, thought so.
Would be nice to see it implemented in Cantata or MPD one day.

The more we ask the more likely they are to include a real api so we can include support in everything.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #382 of 544
  Wow gmusicbrowser is indeed very nice. Thanks for the tip. If you want to listen to ALAC on gmusicbrowser you need to install gstreamer ffmpeg plugin.

Code:
 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

Source:http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu.html

Thanks for sharing the info. I just like to caution the readers: It's NOT a good idea to add external repositories. Some (many?) Linux distributions contain gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg in their standard repositories, so there is no need to add the above repository (my Linux Mint distribution does have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg in the repos).

That said, it's been reported that Ubuntu 14.04 and perhaps other Ubuntu releases or Ubuntu-based distros do not support gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg out of the box, in which case you would need to add the above repository.

Try to install using:
Code:
 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
If that doesn't work, you can always add the repo as suggested above.

Background: Adding external repos can open a door to malicious software being installed on your computer. While Linux is quite good in keeping malware at bay, it is not immune to hackers/criminals. It's best to double-check when asked to add repositories, as this is the easiest way to compromise a Linux system. Sorry if I sound like a lecturer.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #383 of 544
I have an iDAC-6 at home, set up mpd to output DSD over PCM but it still downsamples to 352.8MHz. It seems that ALSA doesn't detect the DAC as DoP capable device.

Anyone know what the source of the problem could be? Could try to disable pulseaudio when I'm home...

System: OpenSUSE Leap 42.1, mpd 0.19.10, Cantata 2.0.0

music_directory    "/media/Daten/Musik"
playlist_directory "~/.mpd/playlists"
db_file            "~/.mpd/database"
log_file           "~/.mpd/log"
pid_file           "~/.mpd/pid"
state_file         "~/.mpd/state"

decoder {
      plugin "ffmpeg"
      enabled "yes"
}

audio_output { 
 type              "alsa" 
 name              "Cayin" 
 device            "hw:iDAC6"
 mixer_type        "hardware"
 dop               "yes"
 auto_resample     "no"
 auto_channels     "no"
 auto_format       "no"
}

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #384 of 544
FYI
still no luck on getting DSD over PCM to my DAC.
even without pulseaudio it still downsamples to 352.8kHz

The problem is also there with my ALO CDM, it also doesn't do DSD like it should.
Anyone with better insight and knowledge able to help?

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #386 of 544
  I'll bite even though i dont use DSD.

Go here, let me know what it tells you https://lacocina.nl/detect-alsa-output-capabilities

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking your time and helping me.
I have connected the CDM now, so these outputs are for the Continental:

felix@linux-r2ul:~> bash <(wget -q -O - "http://lacocina.nl/alsa-capabilities") -l usb -s                                                                                                                                         
0) USB Audio Class Digital alsa audio output interface `hw:2,0'                                                                                                                                                                  
- device name       = USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio                                                                                                                                                                            
- interface name    = USB Audio                                                                                                                                                                                                  
- usb audio class   = 2 - isochronous asynchronous                                                                                                                                                                               
- character device  = /dev/snd/pcmC2D0p                                                                                                                                                                                          
- rates per format  = S24_3LE:             44100Hz 48000Hz 88200Hz 96000Hz 176400Hz 192000Hz                                                                                                                                     
                      S16_LE:              44100Hz 48000Hz 88200Hz 96000Hz 176400Hz 192000Hz                                                                                                                                     
                      SPECIAL:             44100Hz 48000Hz 88200Hz 96000Hz 176400Hz 192000Hz                                                                                                                                     
- monitor file      = /proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params                                                                                                                                                                    
- stream file       = /proc/asound/card2/stream0   

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #389 of 544
"The DSD to PCM conversion process converts from 1-bit DSD to 64-bit PCM at 1/8th of the DSD sample rate. The total amount of data from this conversion grows by 8x, so the process is effectively lossless / perfect. Once you have PCM, it will be 64bit @ 352.8 kHz for DSD"

There you go, apparently that is perfectly normal for DSD64. Just for me personally: do either of your dac's allow straight dsd without dop? I kind of wish i had one on hand to play with for future dsd based problems.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #390 of 544
right for D2P but not DoP, at DoP the DSD file gets packed in a fake PCM but will be unpacked in DSD again, as far as I know.

Besides, I just tried DSD128 and that also gets downsampled. 

The Continental Dual Mono handles DSD natively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back