Birthday Present at $200: sound card or amplifier?
Oct 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shonor6

Head-Fier
Hi. I soon have a birthday and I can buy a present at up to $200. I have the Logitech X-540 (they kinda suck), and the AD700's. I generally use my AD's for music and Logitech for gaming, but sometimes do hear music on the X-540 because of certain reasons. I was wondering what should I get: An amplifier that will make my headphones even better, or a sound card for the PC?
Which will have better effect on the headphones?

Or should I just buy a $100 amp and a $100 sound card?

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Options:

--Sound card will make headphones sound way better

--Fiio E7 will make headphones sound better both at home AND portably, future upgrade to E9 possible for desktop application

--Save money, buy proper computer speakers like Audioengine A5 or similar

In your situation, i'd recommend a USB Dac or a sound card. I recommend the E7 in particular because its portable and allows room for future upgrading.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 7
E7/E9 i say. Or Diy as said before. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 7
The real trick is to not think about what is missing from your audio rig while you save up money. I'd actually like to see some portable DIY Amp recommendations myself for ~$100USD for parts alone. I know the CMOYBB or whatever that fits inside the altoids tin and is powered by 2 AA batteries was surprisingly good given that it was only like 30 bucks in parts.

Perhaps our good gentlesir OP would like to get into the DIY scene. My first build was Gamma 1 F++ and Gamma 2. I ordered both items at the same time and apparently the only mistake I made was I used acid-based flux more suitable for plumbing applications and my soldering iron sucked, and still does. Apart from that it was a great experience. I even got my GF to help me build the gamma 2. She would find and hold the parts and position them and everything while I handled the soldering iron.

For my next projects im investing in: Hakko 936 weller soldering station, Proper electronics paste flux, and an el-cheapo general purpose heat gun from Home Depot. They had sales on some 80 dollar models for just 20 bucks and they got to the perfect temperature for SMD soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back