Billy Corgan's solo album - the Future Embrace - thoughts?
Jun 21, 2005 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been a Smashing Pumpkins fan since 1994, and have just heard one of Billy Corgan's new songs live on the Late Show with Letterman, and I'm greatly disappointed.
frown.gif
There is no emotion! It's like mainstream popish rock / elevator music, BORING! Any other thoughts? Anyone heard the whole album yet?

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 24
I read an interview recently (can't remember where) in which Billy stated that he realized that Pumpkin fans would hate this album. He just said it was a chance he was willing to take.

I'll probably pick up a copy. If it doesn't sound like the Pumpkins, then I'll probably like it.
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Anyone heard the whole album yet?

It releases today (the 21st), so it'd be difficult to legally possess at this point, but i'll see if i can't pick it up sometime this week. Thanks for the update, i'll let you know how it's received by another long-time pumpkin, and more recently zwan, fan.
etysmile.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 24
Look at post #12. I misjudged this album based upon a first listen!

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 24
Erm,

I quite like it, even though I am a huge Pumpkins fan. It reminds me a bit of "Adore".

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 24
I guess i'll stop at J&R and pick it up. I'm a huge pumpkins fan and i really did like Adore a lot.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 24
the cover of " to love somebody" has a nice feel to it, plenty of emotion, but while it builds up it ends rather unresolved - vocals are drowned in the music IMO

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 24
Apparently, Corgan wants to get the Smashing Pumpkins together.. or, well, he's at least riviving the band name. I don't know if that means he's getting the band together or recruiting new members. See Pitchfork today.

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Apparently, Corgan wants to get the Smashing Pumpkins together.. or, well, he's at least riviving the band name. I don't know if that means he's getting the band together or recruiting new members. See Pitchfork today.

Oh hell yeah! Another source: http://blamo.org/

I wonder what D'arcy has been doing the past few years...

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by h-man
Erm,

I quite like it, even though I am a huge Pumpkins fan. It reminds me a bit of "Adore".

I'm on track 4 so far, and my first thoughts were along the lines of "Ooh, he kept his Adore gear - sweet!"

As far as a pumpkins revival is concerned, i'd see any show with Corgan in it, and if that means he'll be able to release albums for a few more years, then i'm all for it.

Track 5 just started and it feels a bit like it did the first time i listened through 'With Teeth' - a familiar artist with a firm electronic backing all shown in a slightly unfamiliar light. I dig it so far
etysmile.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 24
Cool. I picked it up, i'll give it a listen tomorrow.

Yeah, i also read that he wants to reunite SP..., man, i hope so!

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 24
The more I listen, the more I like it! Its different, yet pretty good. I take back what was said in previous posts. Billy's still got it!
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
...i really did like Adore a lot.

Same here. I too picked up Billy's new album today and I agree that it has a lot of that Adore vibe.

I'm really diggin' it.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Same here. I too picked up Billy's new album today and I agree that it has a lot of that Adore vibe.

I'm really diggin' it.

Excellent! I can't wait to give it a spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back