Bijou Vs. Melos
Jul 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SBoy

New Head-Fier
Hello guys. I have the opportunity to compare a Melos amp with my Bijou amp.

Actually this is my first time comparing both amp side by side thus i need some of your opinion.

I love the melos soundstaging compared to the bijou. The instruments seems a lil bit further from my head (which i prefer more). However, the clarity of the melos seems a lil blurry when compared to my bijou (perhaps it was because the bijou's soundstaging is nearer to our head).

The melos has a deeper bass while the bijou has a stronger bass impact. Another significant thing that i notice with my bijou is that everything seems to cramp up. Like i mentioned before, the melos soundstage seems further and wider.

The thing that disappoints me is that i couldn't really tell the difference between this two amps.

Please leave some of your opinions regarding this two amps. Thanks.

Headphone : HD650
Source: Desktop -> Fubar Dac -> Bijou amp ; Desktop -> ?? -> Melos

P/S: I've used the search button

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 7
Panasonic what?

Well... I'd say about as different as designs can get.
smily_headphones1.gif
Melos is a medium voltage (under 200V) tube/MOSFET hybrid while the Bijou is a futterman OTL.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 7
You really should post the brand, line and value of the output caps, not just a brand name.

Sorry, will not answer a general question like that, it is simply too broad. It is hard enough to compare the designs, to simply say "how it sounds different" is even worse. It is like asking the difference in "driving" between Porsche 911 and Range Rover, they are simply VERY different.

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry FallenAnge. I'll try to make it as specific as possible. =)

Nevermind with the Nippon cap, I've swap it with my original Panasonic electrolytic TS-ED 470uF/250V cap.

Regarding the second part. Maybe I should rephrase it this way. What are the pros and cons on both of these designs? I forgot to add that the bijou sounded somewhat more musical compare to the melos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back