Biggest (trans)portable rig you've taken on the road ?
Jul 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
In the Q&A vid, Jude talks about taking his CLAS stack through airport security, and the fact that he keeps it all hooked up and ready to play music if they ask him to do so. When I think about some of the weird and wonderful electronic gear some salespeople would take on a flight, I'm sure a stack like that is nothing special, but it still begs the question : if you were going to be stuck in a hotel room for 3 weeks or more, what would you take ?

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 21
I would love to hear about what some of these transportable rigs could consist of. I have no problem throwing the whole set-up w/ accompanying full size headphones into a bag of some sort. A portable (battery powered) mini desktop quality set-up as it were. There has to be somebody who does'nt cry about how 'portable' things have to be(Well maybe cry is a little rough, but there has to be a few other people who have'nt made how small or compact a criteria of much consequence to them versus superior sq anywhere or time of their choice! No ? At least point out where some of these items can be found & let us choose how crazy we want to get. I'm not so sure starting things w/ a DAP from that famous computer company is necessarily the best place to start.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 21
Its more 'bleating' than 'crying' - when the HM-801 came along, many of the same people who had searched endlessly for the 'perfect DAP' couldnt get around the price and the size of the thing, but it looks a whole lot smaller than that CLAS stack.

Dont forget that we still have a few diehards who carry portable CDPs and a selection of CDs around with them .....

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
In the Q&A vid, Jude talks about taking his CLAS stack through airport security, and the fact that he keeps it all hooked up and ready to play music if they ask him to do so. When I think about some of the weird and wonderful electronic gear some salespeople would take on a flight, I'm sure a stack like that is nothing special, but it still begs the question : if you were going to be stuck in a hotel room for 3 weeks or more, what would you take ?

3 weeks in a hotel?  I'd probably take it all.  Of course the biggest headamp I'd probably ever have would be something like a BHSE or KGSSHV if I ever get into 'stats.  I wouldn't exactly cart around a Woo 5 or something like that.

Something approximating my dream system would be like a DAC1 HDR, KGSSHV, and some O2s all playing from my PC and subbing my netbook for my desktop, I'd take it all for a trip that long.  If I was in the business of regularly taking trips that long I'd shell out for a desktop replacement too.

Back in the real world, I'd just add my modded T50RPs to the normal collection of stuff I rarely leave the house without.  My portable amp drives them just as well as my desktop amp (which I only keep for convenience) so I don't have to add much extra.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 21
Some years back when I was still flying and had many layovers and long airport waits, I had an Advent AM/FM receiver, Stax Sigmas and an SRD7 adapter all stashed in a large pilot chart case. 
I got many curious stares from passersby when I was lounging in a chair next to a wall outlet with the Sigmas on my head and the cable snaking from one end of my pilot case and an ac cord coming from the other end and plugged into the wall. 

All told, the case with all the components weighed about 15 lbs.

And I thought my setup was very portable!
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Some years back when I was still flying and had many layovers and long airport waits, I had an Advent AM/FM receiver, Stax Sigmas and an SRD7 adapter all stashed in a large pilot chart case. 
I got many curious stares from passersby when I was lounging in a chair next to a wall outlet with the Sigmas on my head and the cable snaking from one end of my pilot case and an ac cord coming from the other end and plugged into the wall. 

All told, the case with all the components weighed about 15 lbs.

And I thought my setup was very portable!
jecklinsmile.gif

I find myself curious about those stares sometimes. I'll carry around a laptop sized bag w/ whatever my "current portable stack & headphones" happen to be at the time & like you will just snake the headphone cable from the bag, I was originally a bit sellf conscious of looks, but have become much less so. I've even been a "goodwill head-fier" on occassion & let people have a short listen if they're interested (& appear not to be thiefs,of course , as the headphones are usually of some "pedigree"). The biggest reason for the bag for me is to be able to carry arround external battery powered power supply units for the players & amps. I'm a power supply fanatic whether I'm home or away, it makes a pretty significant difference as far as I'm concerned

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
And I thought my little belt pouch with my DAP and portable "ibasso" amp was a big deal:) , some of you guys take fanaticism to another level, by the way hiflight love the topkits.

Thanks for the kind words!
Ron

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 21
I regularly travel with my H140 and ibasso D12 bundled together with IEM's.  This arrangement is huge as compared to the average ipodder crowd expectations.  If I'm going somewhere for a longer period or time, I'll bring the H140 with a DB-1 and SR71B along with a set of Grados (RS-1 or HF-2).

In my expereince, I've had better luck taking my rigs apart through airport security.  Whenever everything is together, they just can't pass on that short optical cable that connects the rig together.  

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
I regularly travel with my H140 and ibasso D12 bundled together with IEM's.  This arrangement is huge as compared to the average ipodder crowd expectations.  If I'm going somewhere for a longer period or time, I'll bring the H140 with a DB-1 and SR71B along with a set of Grados (RS-1 or HF-2).

In my expereince, I've had better luck taking my rigs apart through airport security.  Whenever everything is together, they just can't pass on that short optical cable that connects the rig together.  

I see you use the H140 what are your impressions of this unit.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 21
Tomorrow it will be iPod Classic 160gb+CLAS+JH-3A.  Quit a brick, that sort of fits (without undoing the cables) into a Nitize Backbone 40......of course, with attendant chargers!

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
I see you use the H140 what are your impressions of this unit.

Impressions....I believe it's the pinnacle of portable equipment.  I've heard a lot of equipment and I feel this combination comes pretty close to the best I've heard (including desktop)...especially if you add the Boomslang and SR71B in balanced mode.  I've never heard the ipod/solo yet though.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 21
One of the more annoying things about this hobby is that I have yet to see a detailed comparison between the H1xx and more modern boutique audio - HiFiMan players, Colorfly, QA-350 etc. Mike at Headfonia had a crack at comparing the latter, but the H1xx seems to have been consigned to the history books.

http://www.headfonia.com/hifi-dap-comparison-hm-801-hm-602-qa350-boomslang/

Personally, I think there is a considerably amount of 'Apples v Parsnips' in that particular comparison, but it beats looking at economic forecasts which would have us all wearing rags within 12 months. 
eek.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
One of the more annoying things about this hobby is that I have yet to see a detailed comparison between the H1xx and more modern boutique audio - HiFiMan players, Colorfly, QA-350 etc. Mike at Headfonia had a crack at comparing the latter, but the H1xx seems to have been consigned to the history books.

http://www.headfonia.com/hifi-dap-comparison-hm-801-hm-602-qa350-boomslang/

Personally, I think there is a considerably amount of 'Apples v Parsnips' in that particular comparison, but it beats looking at economic forecasts which would have us all wearing rags within 12 months. 
eek.gif

I have two H120 players modified with the 32gb CF card drive and one H140. All 3 are Rockboxed.    I also own the 16gb HM-602.  While having a very good DAC, the 602 suffers from a rather cumbersome interface, short battery life and runs very warm.

IMO, the H120/140 remain a state-of-the-art DAP.  Having optical, line-out and headphone outputs provides a flexibility of output not shared by any other player.  With the CF mod and the options offered by Rockbox, they are without peer among players.  I use my H120's as the source for all of my Topkit testing. 

John Amato has about 7 of them in various states of modification.   I believe he put a 160gb drive in one of his H140s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back