Biggest improvement from SR60s for $350
Oct 25, 2006 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bpower

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
Another noob looking for first upgrade help. Fairly typical story, My SR60s are the first decent cans i've owned, I love them very much. They do cause me some fatiuge at night and I have to turn them down pretty low to listen for more than 90 mins or so. But still, l LOVE what they do to my music.

I mostly listen to rock /indie/pop (85%+) and some classical,folk..

From reading the forums it looks like my best upgrade from here is to a higher grado cause I wont really need to buy an amp . My budget is usd350.

My basic choice seems to be between a Grado SR325i or an amp for say $150 and a Senn 595.

Im really looking for the biggest increase in listening pleaseure for my 350 or so bucks. The consensus on the forums seems be grados are the best for my type of music.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Brian

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 15
I'd get beyer 990's. I've owned grado 325's and they aren't nearly as good as the beyers, soundwise. Let's not even get into comfort... The 325's are absolutely terrible to wear.

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the reply.

Would I need an amp with thoose cans? I dont find the sr60 too bad for physical comfort (they're not great of course). Are the 325i's even more uncomfortable? that would kinda suck.

Looked them up on google, 220 bucks, not bad. Do they really sound better than 325is? I listen to rock/indie mostly. I dont hear much about this phone, maybe I was to busy looking up grado phones.

Any others with sugestions?

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpower
Thanks for the reply.

Would I need an amp with thoose cans? I dont find the sr60 too bad for physical comfort (they're not great of course). Are the 325i's even more uncomfortable? that would kinda suck.

Looked them up on google, 220 bucks, not bad. Do they really sound better than 325is? I listen to rock/indie mostly. I dont hear much about this phone, maybe I was to busy looking up grado phones.

Any others with sugestions?

The 325's are pretty heavy and the band feels like it's cutting into your skull when you wear them. The pads are less comfortable because of the weight as well.
Indie and rock are two of my favorite genres, I think if you went with the 990's you would be very pleased. They would, however, greatly benefit from an amp although I did run them off of my mp3 player unamped a few times and they sounded ok with some EQing.

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 15
I've heard lots of good things about SR-325i from their owners, but I'm really glad that I didn't hear about the discomfort of those things before I did my fourteen hour "rediscover my CD collection marathon" with my MS2i. If I'd have known how uncomfortable they were, I wouldn't have worn them that long, especially with those tortureous bowls.

Seriously; they do take a bit to get used to and allow the bowls to settle in a bit, but they really aren't all that bad. And, they sound pretty darned good too, even without an amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, TBH I didnt really want to have to choose an amp, it seems very confusing, I wouldnt know what to buy or even what to look for in an amp. I hate the idea of shelling out 100+ bucks with having a clue what I'm doing
frown.gif
Thats why the unamped 325i is so apealing.

PS I put a really boring title on this thread :p

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 15
On a related note, like the OP, I started out with "plastic Grado" Alessandro MS-1, but soon got interested in MS2i.

I had heard all the horror stories of the excess weight of the aluminum cans and was a bit concerned too. So after learning that the difference in weight was almost exactly 100gm, I found a couple sockets that totaled 100gm and installed them on the height adjusters to see if I could handle the additional weight. I was accused of looking like "Uncle Martin" and I was a bit uncomfortable for a couple days, but after that the weight wasn't really a problem.

I actually left the weights on my MS-1s for a couple months just to be sure before getting the MS2i.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 15
There are a couple unusual places to purchase Alessandro cans, but most folks buy them direct from Alessandro. Good people.

The main difference between the two is the color; gold for SR-325 and silver for MS2i. Ok...and the ID button on SR-325i.

They both use the same aluminum housings but the drivers for MS2i are designed to be more neutral and analytical than the more exciting and more "fun" SR-325i.

Neither is "better" than the other...just "different"!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 15
You had me at "fun". The SR325i it is.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help. Now, Im going to run form this place and never return. I've seen what it can do. (Seriuosly guys, some of you need help
evil_smiley.gif
)

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpower
You had me at "fun". The SR325i it is.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help. Now, Im going to run form this place and never return. I've seen what it can do. (Seriuosly guys, some of you need help
evil_smiley.gif
)

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!

MOST of us need help!
frown.gif

But YES! Save yourself! Hold tight to your wallet and....run as fast as you can and don't look back!
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 15
If you want the Beyers 990 without the use of an amp, you might want to look at Jan Meier site, he sells a 80 ohms version. But an amp will bring you the best out of it.

Also, you could consider getting a gilmore lite (or another well-regarded amp for grados) for that price and keep listening to your sr60s. It would leave you the option to buy new headphones later on. The gilmore matches with lots of phones, so you will be able to try some and find the one you like the most, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back