BIG small mp3 player
Mar 1, 2005 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nikongod

DIY-ku
hello headfi.

i need help.

i am looking for a large capacity (at least 80GB) mp3 player.
sound must be amazing.

can the apple i-have-one-too-pod's hard disks be removed, and replaced like the creative zen xtras?

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 17
I've got a solution: Buy a computer, put an 80 gig HD in it, an EMU 0404, and voila!! An MP3 player with great sound!

Sorry dude, I don't think 80 giggers are out yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 17
There is a 100 gig mp3 player out there, but it's pretty gigantic and the firmware is awful. It's made by Xclef.

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 17
i have an 80GB creative nomad zen xtra (76GB formated, 1000mb/gb....) it crapped out on me. when it gets repaired, im selling it, and getting something else.

there is one other that will accept a drive this size, but it dosnt allow users to play by album/artist/etc. bummar, it looked nice.

in my search, i learned that i-pod's have a standard format toshiba 1.8" hdd, but with custom/propriatary firmware. bummer. a 60GB g-3 ipod would be sweet as heck.

the player mentioned 1 post above mine is the only other i could find (asside from various creative players) that uses a standard (not with weird embeded firmware...) 2.5" laptop disc. the downside to that one is that its user interface is absolute garbage. actually, its worse.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 17
What about the Neuros II?
It's not THAT big and the damn thing goes up to 100GB in memory.
Supposedly, it has a pretty nice onboard amp as well.
neurosaudio if ur interested.
not everything's aboutthe iPod u know.

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienPyro
What about the Neuros II?
It's not THAT big and the damn thing goes up to 100GB in memory.
Supposedly, it has a pretty nice onboard amp as well.
neurosaudio if ur interested.
not everything's aboutthe iPod u know.

Maybe, but very little is about the Neuros.
How many years have they been on the verge of releasing something interesting?
I keep checking back to see the progress.
Course I may be a masochist.

Anyway to the original question... maybe... though small and 80GB just doesn't cut it yet. Maybe four Archos Gminis taped together?

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 17
UPDATE:
my further searching has led me to beleive that the ipod is actually one of the fiew mp3 players that uses a propriatary hard disc.

i saw a site that details the install of a 1.8" HDD into a rio karma. perhaps the new 60GB disc would fit. not quite as big as i was looking to go, and slightly smaller too.

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
UPDATE:
my further searching has led me to beleive that the ipod is actually one of the fiew mp3 players that uses a propriatary hard disc.

i saw a site that details the install of a 1.8" HDD into a rio karma. perhaps the new 60GB disc would fit. not quite as big as i was looking to go, and slightly smaller too.

the only thing about that is that the larger harddrives might actually be larger or thicker in size, so they aren't directly switchable. i'm not positive, but you may need to check into that

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
apparently this is a pic of the xclef 100gb player, actual size:

Branded_500_highquality.jpg

indeedy, that is it.

its only a hair larger in all directions than an upgraded creative nomad zen extra. there is a 100Gb drive that fits into the creative nomad (2.5" format, 9.5mm thick)

and the zen has a way better user interface.

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
apparently this is a pic of the xclef 100gb player, actual size

Actual size works great in a newspaper or flyer but everyone's monitor is different (resoloution, screen size,etc) so on mine that thing is tiny compared to what it should be
rolleyes.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Actual size works great in a newspaper or flyer but everyone's monitor is different (resoloution, screen size,etc) so on mine that thing is tiny compared to what it should be
rolleyes.gif

haha, i forgot about that. is have a 15" uxga screen (1600x1200) and I thought 'wow that thing is pretty small'
it's only about 2 1/2" long on my screen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back