BIG small mp3 player
Mar 14, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #17 of 17
To revive the thread - the Neuros II is a very good option. I have few complaints with it. The open source firmware is awesome, every once in a while the community comes out with little fixes here and there - all major problems are fixed atm. Neurosaudio LLC is building a new firmware team, and once they get up and running, there will be a lot of improvement.

The Neuros II uses 2.5" laptop HDs. You could theoretically fit a very large HD in there... around 100GB. They're not hard to swap either. There's a tutorial here, under the "Do-It-Yourself" section on the left.

The battery life is about 8 hours, and it charges pretty quickly (the site says it takes 8 hours to recharge, but mine only seems to take about 2 hours). I love the black color scheme and the orange backlight. The built-in FM tuner and transmitter is very very nice... and I use the transmitter all the time with stereos when I'm not at home. Battery life while transmitting is only about 4 hours though.

I love the unit - the internal amp is GREAT, delivers very very good sound. It's considered to be the best there is for an mp3 player.

It supports: wav, mp3, wma, and ogg. FLAC is on the way, and aac, mp4 and mpc are coming eventually. AFAIK, aac is going to be on the Neuros III, which will be out near the end of the year. It, however, will use 1.8" drives, a color screen, and have better battery life and so on.

If you do end up getting one, there's a few things you need to do. All the official software sucks. Honestly, it does. If you check the forums, you'll find a links to community-made firmware and sync software, that IMO does a way better job than what comes with the unit.

It's not for everyone, honestly it's not. But if you enjoy tinkering with things, being a total geek, having a crapload of space, awesome audio quality, and an open-source community, go for it.

Consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back