Big Pink Floyd fan; what Gilmour/Waters solo albums should I be listening to?
Nov 11, 2009 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive never listened to/bought any of Gilmours' or Waters' side project/solo efforts.

Where to begin?

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 32
Definitely, Roger Waters' Amused to Death, great album and Audiophille too

Gilmour solo works somehow are good, especially "David Gilmour"

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 32
The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is really the only album that is good out of the solo albums released. I don't really like their solo work.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 32
Roger Waters - Pros and Cons and Amused to Death are both worthwhile albums, especially if you are into what Pink Floyd sounds like in The Final Cut. Roger backs himself with big name guitarists: Eric Clapton plays in Pros and Cons and Jeff Beck in Amused to Death. Of the two my choice is Pros and Cons. It has an edge and a tight concept, similar in many ways to The Final Cut. Plus, Clapton is just fantastic. Amused to Death is a close second though there is more weaving through Waters bitterness and technical bravado that is too much sometimes.

Dave Gillmore's On an Island has some nice songs, namely the title song with Crosby and Nash on vocal harmonies. For me this album is just like post-Waters Pink Floyd. Enjoyable but much of the material is forgettable.

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 32
Yup I'll also say in order:

Amused to Death
Pros & Cons
Ca Ira
Radio Kaos

... then fire away at Gilmours stuff

(flame suit on).

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of them. It's only a few albums, not counting the various live offerings.

I agree, there's not that many and they're all good, along with Syd Barrett's albums too.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 32
My personal favorite is probable the self titled Gilmour. Then On an Island, followed by the Rogers in no particular order.

For me About Face is the least appealing it is way to Welcome to the 1980's featuring David Gilmour. For example "Blue Lite" features the horn section from "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven."(I am only sorta joking its pretty bad) That said there are always exceptions of course. "Until We Sleep" is very nice.

p.s. Sid Barrett's has a certain charm. I like it but don't lump it in with PF. When I organize my CD's Waters and Gilmour live next to PF, Barrett does not.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 32
The Live in Gdansk is very good indeed. I mean no disrespect to Barrett. I love the early Floyd and he influenced the band right up through The Wall (IMO Rogers own psychosis took over for Final Cut) Its just that his solo work is so very different then the rest of the PF catalog. I don't imagine anyone could listen to any of the Solo works of Water or Gilmour and not make the association to PF, the Sid stuff on the other hand...

p.s. It's all good, Floyd lovers unite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back