big confusion on small shortlist - replacing my ipod earphones
Sep 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ranz_blacker

100+ Head-Fier
hello everyone, i am newbie here but have been looking for something to replace my ipod earphones for a long long time.. i know my question might seem cliche, but ive done a lot of research browsing through numerous threads before starting my own..

my needs:
Cost - upto 80$, maximum is 100$ if i can get a really good deal for the extra 20$.
durability
- student use, if earphones or IEMs, most prolly would go in pockets or bags, if headphones id prefer something that looks good hanging on my neck
noise isolation - ive heavy metro usage, so decent noise isolation is a must.. any good is all the better
SQ - i have a really mixed music taste, a little biased towards metal/rock. id prefer clear high fidelity sound, music i can feel.. (ideally :p)

ive looked and short listed various types of headphones. Earlier i was thinking of getting some headphones like grado 60(70$), hd280(70$) or some sony mdr-v6(70$)... but reading these forums, ive started to feel buck-for-buck IEMs provide better SQ and noise isolation.. is this true?? i need headphones that can be easily drived w/o an amp, primarily use is ipod..
in the IEMs er6i(75$), ue.fi3(70$) and im716(87$) seems the only one in my range.. personally i was leaning a bit towards er-6i till now, but im a student and if im716 provides more durability id go for it.. but some users have mentioned they need very high volume on ipod to sound decent, hard to drive without amp?? is that true ??

my shortlist for now ( equation RP-21 vs im716 vs er-6i )

im sry to compare headphones with IEMs, but all ive listened till now are ipod headphones..thx a lot for ur time..

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 19
hmmm - i use the dock remote w/ipod

BTW - I wouldn't worry about running your battery life-span out with the im716's - just replaced my 2 yo 5g ipod battery for $8.50. I keep it at 2/3 to 3/4 volume on HD mode (I even have bad hearing!) so I wouldnt worry too much.

BTW: you DO NOT NEED the amp for the im716's if you run it from the Dock Connector. The headphone port will sound just aweful with any of those options above. The dock has more power behind it, even though it is not louder.

That being said, a cheap CMoy never hurt anything!

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 19
I would strongly suggest that IEMs do NOT give better dollar-for-dollar SQ than full-size headphones, quite the opposite in my experience. If you want good sound and a bit of isolation and don't need the tininess of IEMs, how about an RP-21 or at least a K81dj?

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 19
@germania..
run from the ipod dock ?? im sry but i dont understand.. i connect my earphones straight to the jack on top.. wht abt the sound quality of er-6i vs im716.. (i go more for rock/metal)..

@facelvega
thx .. i'll search and look for reviews of these headphones.. are these better for sound as compared to hd280, sony mdr-nc6, mdr-v6.. (i now understand grado sr60 are out of question, since these are open back, no isolation)

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 19
The dock connector can have audio-out via adapters (think ipod radio remote and line-out from stationary docks). The headphone port is limited, the dock is not. There are even people who get much better audio than the regular dock by purchasing iMod's (do a search).

im716 is a big upgrade over the 6i's overall.

The im716 is warmer and more detailed with a little less microphonics IMO. The Westone and SF models have very thick cords and microphonics that are really not noticible. The UM1 is more muddy than the Ety offerings, but it is very comfortable and has great cords. Superfi's are very fun, but not detailed.

HD280 is a very good headphone.
SR60 is good for the money - will it blow your mind? NO.

If you are looking for portable closed cans (which I would do if I wasn't such a girl!)... Look at the offerings from AKG (81's or 26's) and Audio Technica (many). If you want a little cheaper grado, go with the iGrado. You could also find a set of used Ultrasone iCans on the forums within your range (nice).

I know that the px200's are not well regarded here, but they are a fairly good offering. I modded them and it made them much better sounding.

If you go with a can, please be sure to BURN THEM IN (~100h).

If you would be carrying them around your neck or outside in the damp - get a set of smaller portable cans.

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 19
oh man.. now ur just confusing me :p .. thx for so many suggestions..
westone and super fi5 models are out of my price range.. mebbe px200 are really good value for money for 40-50$.. but im looking for best SQ for 80-100$.. even the akg 26 is more like in the 30-40$ price range.. so not of my interest..

i will search and see for imods and see if they can help in my cause.. thankss
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 19
I hate to bring another choice into the mix, but I have to say that I really enjoy my Crossroads Mylarone X3's for rock/metal.

I listen to some punk (Bad Religion), Prog. Rock (DreamTheater), and one of the greatest bands ever known to man (Tenacious D), among others. For an IEM, I'd say that the forward presentation of the X3's really make that music engaging.

That, and they ship from Jaben (a sponser on the column on the right) for $57 anywhere. Other than some build quality issues, they are pretty highly regarded (use the search function for more impressions).

Just thought you shouldn't rule this one out,

Nylan

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 19
I had the er-6 and thought that it was a little lacking in bass, but YMMV. I agree with the other comments that a set of closed cans may be your best value - if you don't mind carrying around the extra bulk.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 19
this is a revelation.. for ipod use with some noise isolation.. u ppl are saying headphones will sound better than IEMs... (rem im a noob who's only listened to ipod earphones till now, poor student)..

so ne other headphone to triumph the rp-21 ..under 100$

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 19
Another option at $104.99 - 5%(with coupon) is the HD 25-1 II's but they're out of stock right now.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 19
Although I have UE IEM's, I find I travel about town most with Sennheiser CX300 earbuds. They are easier to wear than regular IEM's for me, though the sound is a bit dark and not quite as accurate... still engaging though. I find they are fine without amplification from my Ipod nano and seal out enough external noise. They are pretty sturdy too, often spending time in my backpack sans case.

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #13 of 19
@anarchy..
ya i knw tht sennheiser hd-25 seems such a sweet deal. but it's out.. do you think those are coming back for the same price??

@cp8ir
i would like to get something with better SQ than cx300, also i cant afford to keep two.. i need only one, hence the best value.. thx neways

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ranz_blacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@facelvega
thx .. i'll search and look for reviews of these headphones.. are these better for sound as compared to hd280, sony mdr-nc6, mdr-v6.. (i now understand grado sr60 are out of question, since these are open back, no isolation)

I'm far from a fan of the HD280, which to my ear are thin and awful. The V6 is nice and easy to drive, but might not mesh so well with your music. Closed for $100, the Audio Equation RP-21 seems to be the new hot choice, though let me hasten to add that I haven't heard them myself, as I have all the others I've mentioned so far in this thread. My only problem with the RP-21 is the styling; I'd take the V6 or K81 over them any day on that front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to bring another choice into the mix, but I have to say that I really enjoy my Crossroads Mylarone X3's for rock/metal.

Speaking as an im716 owner and having heard the Mylarone X1 driver, I'd bet the X3 are probably a much better fit for your music if you do feel the need for an IEM-sized option. Not as much absolute detail, but punchier and likely more musical for your stuff.

Sep 30, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 19
waiting for the more HD-25s to arrive.. hopefully i'll get them for 100$ :p.. else i guess RP-21 would it be..

have anyone compared there sound to ATH - ANC7.. would that be a step up in sound quality?? *have very nice noise isolation and comfort, so thats a plus for me.. and look better too..*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back