BIG Bass IEM
Nov 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

brownandproud

New Head-Fier
Hi i posted a similar question earlier but as it was pointed out it was in the wrong section (DOH!) so this is going to be my second post.
Right, i need some advice on a new pair of IEM's; i've been looking at the sennheiser ie8, the atrio's and the monster turbines (not the pros). From what i've read, all three deliver enough bass for a bass head but i want to know which ones better. By that i mean which one has the biggest bass and the better quality bass. Now im currently using the senn CX500 which does have a decent amount of bass but i want more
L3000.gif
They're going to be driven from my iPhone 3GS and occaisonaly iPod Classic and MacBook but with the ipods i will have my fiio e5 connected with LOD.
So in conlusion i want big bass, good quality and comfort. Isolation is also important because i use the buses for about 3 hours a day!
thank you in advance for any responses
p.s i need to decide soon because xmas is in almost a month!

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 19
There certainly are plenty of choices out there for the low frequency geared folks. I say if you've got the cash for the IE8, it's a very good route to go. I know the M5 has long been a bass leader. You could even look at UE's Super.Fi 5 EB which is supposed to be monstrous on bass. There are just lots of options out there.

I think at some point you stop looking for more bass and start progressing towards refinement and quality in sound. So earphone A and earphone B have abundant levels of bass, great quantity, extension, control. You then step to the rest of the frequency response. How are the mids and highs? Are they well balanced, have great sound quality, and are well extended? Does A or B do better elsewhere then just bass? You start looking at the total package. You still get good bass, but you also get more then just that.

You'll have to start reading through user comments, reviews, and try to find some comparisons between some of these options. Figure out how they differ and if one option is just the better overall package. I'm only familiar with the IE8, so I really can't comment on your options.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol,forget about the ie8 for isolation,it sucks

Only if you don't know how to use them. It's easy to get great isolation by modding the tips.

FWIW, UE5 EBs are only $145 shipped brand new right now. There are a few used ones for sale in the forums but they're incredibly overpriced.

Nov 22, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 19
Ditto, isolates great as long as you've got a seal. It's just that a lot of folks simply wear them leaky to lower the bass presence...which is sort of counter intuitive to the gearing of the product.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 19
i would like to expand my taste in an iem which is why im asking the experts. I was almost won over by the atrios, however reading around, i might regret having the recessed mids. Ultimate ears do interest me but which ones do i get? my budget is around £150 but it can be raised if the difference is worthwhile. The ie8's are working out almost twice the price of the atrio's (at £95) but i can get the turbines for £90. Is the gap between ie8 and atrios that big? To be honest the super.fi 5eb from what ive read are too uncomfertable for me

Nov 22, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 19
I don't think the EB is that uncomfortable, as long as you loop the cable behind your ears instead of just letting it hang, and the end of the cord is moldable so you can do that. I wanted a set of Atrios, but they were a little more than I wanted to spend, but found Super.Fi's on eBay for $100. Crossed my fingers that they weren't counterfeit, and I've been really happy with them. I can't compare them to any of the others you listed though.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by brownandproud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would like to expand my taste in an iem which is why im asking the experts. I was almost won over by the atrios, however reading around, i might regret having the recessed mids. Ultimate ears do interest me but which ones do i get? my budget is around £150 but it can be raised if the difference is worthwhile. The ie8's are working out almost twice the price of the atrio's (at £95) but i can get the turbines for £90. Is the gap between ie8 and atrios that big? To be honest the super.fi 5eb from what ive read are too uncomfertable for me

Yes, the IE8 are THAT much better than the Atrios. You know that you can get EBs reshelled which will increase the comfort a ton.

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 19
BASS IEM-

Bass- Superfi 5 eb> atrio, w3, ie8,audio technica cks70, denon c710(which i like), tfi 10
note that those are not in any specific order
superfi 5 eb again and agian best the competition in the bass depsartemnt, nothng ive tested comes close,(maybe the jh13 or mingo wm2, have not tested)

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the IE8 are THAT much better than the Atrios. You know that you can get EBs reshelled which will increase the comfort a ton.

wow, u can reshell the ue 5 eb,( my fav. freakin bass iem)!!!!
please tell

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so by better do u mena that that the ie8 have more bass than the atrio along with being better,,,,,

i can say the atrio is way more comfortable and noise isolating, and i had serious issues with the ie8 fitting and isolating,

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 19
If you want to try something cheap, get the Crossroads Woodie 1 or Woodie 2. I have the Woodie 2 and the bass is amazing ! Its very tight and extends pretty low. I might get flamed for this but just comparing bass, I prefer the bass of the Woodie 2 to the Sennheiser HD650 ! (Of course in almost everything else the HD650 is better.)

And IMHO its better than the Hippo VB as well (bass wise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back