Big Baby Taylor Guitar - Where to buy new and cheap?
Aug 10, 2009 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I've been procrastinating, and finally decided to learn guitar. After reading tons of recommendations, I've decided the Big Baby Taylor Guitar is the perfect fit for me, and a good starting guitar. However, many of the reviews I've read state that the guitar is ~$350, but online the price seems to be around $449. Did the price spike up or something? Or can I negotiate and bargain it down? Would I have better luck going retail? Some guidance would help much. I want to keep my maximum spending around $350 plus tax. Can anyone recommend to me a good authorized seller with that price?

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm going to throw an idea out there, and you can reject it. My suggestion is always to start with an electric. It is much easier to play, and you will be less likely to become discouraged.

That being said, Taylor makes very nice acoustics, and you would be very happy. As for the price, it depends on whether it was bought new, and where it was purchased. Guitar Center will lower its price for you. If they are clearly struggling for business, you can get a significant amount knocked off. I would call a local GC store and get information about the guitar, and perhaps indicate to the salesperson what your desired price would be.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 11
I agree with the above poster. If you do like electric guitar music then there's no harm in starting on electric as they are much easier to play. On the other hand, if you can play on an acoustic (I personally started on one), you'll find moving over to electrics easy, while going from electric to acoustic can be a bit of a shock until your fingers get stronger.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd go with your music preferences personally. I'd definitely budget for a thorough servicing when you do get your guitar though, as it probably won't be set up to play at its best.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhinosaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the above poster. If you do like electric guitar music then there's no harm in starting on electric as they are much easier to play. On the other hand, if you can play on an acoustic (I personally started on one), you'll find moving over to electrics easy, while going from electric to acoustic can be a bit of a shock until your fingers get stronger.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd go with your music preferences personally. I'd definitely budget for a thorough servicing when you do get your guitar though, as it probably won't be set up to play at its best.

Could you elaborate on why I should go electric first then acoustic? I have a musical background (piano, alto sax, drums) although I admit, I am unfamiliar with string instruments, tabs, etc. Is there a specific reason I should? I feel everyone I know starts with acoustic, and tbh, I like acoustic sound more than electric (no hate, I love hendrix
smily_headphones1.gif
but just more of the classic rock guy).

Also, what do you mean by servicing when I buy my guitar? Does it needs significant setup or something? I assume tuning right? Tuning isn't hard for alto sax, but isn't for the guitar it's just a matter of turning the frets?

Thanks for your help guys, I love this feedback and it will help me greatly when I stop by guitar center later this week.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Reasons to play an electric:

1) Easy to fret notes. Do you like buzzing sounds? If not, play electric. You need a significant amount of hand/finger strength to even get a sound out of an acoustic. This can be discouraging.

2) It is easier to bend strings on an electric. This will add another dimension to your playing, and make your fingers stronger/calloused very quickly. Of course, your bends will sound like s*** for the first several years, but it will be worth it.

3) Electrics play faster, with much less friction, so your fingers will not get ripped to shreds as easily. You will be able to play for much longer, and thus improve more quickly.

4) Electrics are amplified. This means that there is a vastly increased dynamic range, which is essentially another component of your sound. You will develop a greater feel for, and appreciation, of volume.

You might appreciate the sound of an acoustic more, especially compared to an electric in the same price range. And if you are going to focus primarily on chords, then an acoustic might suit you better. But if you want to play lead, electric wins.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you elaborate on why I should go electric first then acoustic? I have a musical background (piano, alto sax, drums) although I admit, I am unfamiliar with string instruments, tabs, etc. Is there a specific reason I should? I feel everyone I know starts with acoustic, and tbh, I like acoustic sound more than electric (no hate, I love hendrix
smily_headphones1.gif
but just more of the classic rock guy).

Also, what do you mean by servicing when I buy my guitar? Does it needs significant setup or something? I assume tuning right? Tuning isn't hard for alto sax, but isn't for the guitar it's just a matter of turning the frets?

Thanks for your help guys, I love this feedback and it will help me greatly when I stop by guitar center later this week.

Hi there,

The biggest difference between my electric and acoustic is the amount of pressure you need to apply to the strings to fret a note, acoustics generally requiring more. You do get used to it after a while though, so it's not really a big deal after a while. The action on my acoustic is also higher (the action is the distance between the strings and the neck).

With regards to servicing, it's things like having the action set up correctly. Ideally you want it lower so it's easier to play, but not so low that you get a horrible "fret buzz". The intonation is another thing that might need adjusting. This is all stuff you can teach yourself to do (admittedly I've never had to, but there do seem to be a lot of sites with instructions on how), but I'd probably get it done by a professional first.

Most guitar shops do offer these services, although I'm not sure whether it'll be free. The place I bought my electric from gave me free lifetime service, charging only for strings if they were changed, whereas my acoustic service cost around £20 I think.

I think you are best off starting on an acoustic. I think the comment about you possibly getting discouraged is because acoustics are generally more difficult to play compared to an electric, but if your interests lie in acoustic music then acoustic is what you should play.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 11
ah great, thanks that explained ALOT for me. I am going to stop by guitar center this thursday and buy a guitar based on this info, I think I'm going to stick with acoustic and see how we go from there. I don't give up easily, so I don't care how many blisters i get, I will learn how to play this
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 11
I started on acoustic. It's been awhile, but I don't remember it being all that excruciating for my fingers. Go with the acoustic. I end up strumming my acoustic more anyway just cuz its quick to pick up and play.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Elderly Instruments - Welcome - Elderly Instruments before you go? They have a large stock and are very, very helpful on the phone. You might be reluctant to buy over the internet, but they are safe and at least worth a call.

And I'm a devout acoustic guy, for full disclosure.

Personally, I would never buy a guitar before playing it in person. Brick-and-mortar stores often have several of the same guitar in stock for you to choose from. Especially in the range of the 'Big Baby' not all of the guitars of a particular model will sound exactly the same even if the intonation is correct.

It would be great if the OP knew someone who had some experience with acoustic guitars and could help him find one that sings. It may not make a difference to him now, but later on it may.

*edit* - It will not sound ideal, but you can put electric strings on your acoustic to practice bends and such. I have an old beat up acoustic that I put electric strings on for that reason.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 11
I partially agree with aaron, but I will say its very dependent on the individual. It depends on your fingers, size, length, and strength. I personally went for electric over acoustic.

I also recommend B&M stores for guitar purchase. Take a friend over who can play atleast basic stuff, ask him to try it out, get a feel for the guitar. You'll be surprised how different guitars feel in hand when you try them in a store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back