Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,506 of 4,419
Caring too much about what other people think is your problem, not mine.  You probably care about the car you drive, the clothes you wear, or how big your house is compared to your associates too?

Cars will destroy the environemnt, while I destroy some ears.  It's an even trade.

I'm not sure exactly where to start. Your logic is flawed on dozens of fundamental levels. Instead I will simply point out that were you to ride up next to me I'd have to resist the urge to kick you into traffic.

Now back to my search for a helmet. The Bern helmets look good, anyone have any experience with them for city riding?

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #2,507 of 4,419
You can try. I'll catch up to you at the light and you'll get a chain across your windshield and side windows.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #2,508 of 4,419
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly where to start. Your logic is flawed on dozens of fundamental levels. Instead I will simply point out that were you to ride up next to me I'd have to resist the urge to kick you into traffic.

Now back to my search for a helmet. The Bern helmets look good, anyone have any experience with them for city riding?

No first hand experience here, but don't look very well ventilated for the summer.

Take look at this giro :

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/products/men/helmets/reverb.html
Quote:
You can try. I'll catch up to you at the light and you'll get a chain across your windshield and side windows.

Why oh why do we have to get violent?

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,509 of 4,419
popcorn.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,511 of 4,419
been offline for a week or so...
well no camera at the moment, I'll take a pic of the ss when I can, it's done maybe 150km in the last week, chain has loosened a little, did 32km on it yesterday, made me realise how weak my legs are right now. I'll soon fix that, I have to ride a 15km round journey now for groceries, so laziness is not an option.
I've been riding in the city for the past week. before that I was walking around, I noticed that drivers were impatient, and generally very poor, messing up parking, bad pullouts, changing lanes at poor times, crossing intersections when they couldn't safely exit.
NOw riding a bike in the city has been interesting, I outrun the traffic, because they get stuck in it, where I can weave between it, I can also go through lights when they're on pedestrian crossings (something I shouldn't do, but everyone does anyway) but I actually really enjoy riding around and past cars, skipping lights and such, there's something strangely fun about it, I like riding so that's part of it, but also that cars seem so slow and cumbersome in the city. I'm free from that :]

also, in regards to the posts about the speakers on a bike, I would never listen to music while riding, being on a bike I'm exposed, throwing away one of my senses is just playing with fire... and speakers on a bike is just silly, this is a forum for audiophiles...
I like music a lot, but if it's reproduced poorly, I'd much rather go without. just my opinion.

And in regards to helmets for the city, I just ride a road helmet, a volta corsa helmet to be exact, as it was the best fitting helmet I could find, that's what I would say is best, go to a bunch of stores and try on everything, by what fits best. I would never buy a helmet online...

also what was meant by PCB bike....

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,513 of 4,419
Went on a hard ride today and man was it fun.

One thing I learned today was, don't underestimate Carbon Fiber. I crashed PRETTY darn hard into a tree today, handle bars first and the bars weren't even fazed... I was going pretty damn fast and I flipped over my bars due to the impact (shout goes to whoever invented full-face helmets) so already a lot of force went into that handlebar. Like I said, good as new.

My next bike is certainly going to be a CF frame, despite it's price.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,514 of 4,419
that's great to hear!  i was thinking of getting a Tri bike next year, glad to hear that CF isn't as fragile as some people claim!!! 

Quote:
Went on a hard ride today and man was it fun.

One thing I learned today was, don't underestimate Carbon Fiber. I crashed PRETTY darn hard into a tree today, handle bars first and the bars weren't even fazed... I was going pretty damn fast and I flipped over my bars due to the impact (shout goes to whoever invented full-face helmets) so already a lot of force went into that handlebar. Like I said, good as new.

My next bike is certainly going to be a CF frame, despite it's price.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #2,515 of 4,419
CF is just... Awesome. No other way to describe it. So damn stiff, so strong, and best part is, unlike aluminum, CF can be fixed. Let me explain myself here. The GENERAL consensus is, once CF breaks, it's garbage. That's true, FOR 1ST GEN CF FRAMES. The newer frames are much tougher, and if they DO crack, they can be mended by a professional CF molder to restore the frame to relatively close levels as it was before the crack, but in reality, it's still going to be stiffer than the aluminum frame with the mended crack.

Only downside with CF is it's bloody expensive and the resin worries me. After 5-10+ years, apparently the resin can rub off and reduce the stiffness.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #2,516 of 4,419
CF is still too new to know how it really fairs with age, there are people riding around on ancient steel frames, and very old aluminium frames, s we know those can last, we simply don't with CF. we'll find out though. I have too many bikes already, if I were to upgrade, I'm not sure if CF is the way I'd go...

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #2,517 of 4,419
Quote:
CF is just... Awesome. No other way to describe it. So damn stiff, so strong, and best part is, unlike aluminum, CF can be fixed. Let me explain myself here. The GENERAL consensus is, once CF breaks, it's garbage. That's true, FOR 1ST GEN CF FRAMES. The newer frames are much tougher, and if they DO crack, they can be mended by a professional CF molder to restore the frame to relatively close levels as it was before the crack, but in reality, it's still going to be stiffer than the aluminum frame with the mended crack.

Only downside with CF is it's bloody expensive and the resin worries me. After 5-10+ years, apparently the resin can rub off and reduce the stiffness.

I guess that it depends on the kind of fiber you're talking about and the way it was built.

CF can be fixed, under certain circumstances. Monococque frames are way harder to repair since you can't just replace a tube like on a tube to tube construction. If the crack isn't too large nor sharp I'm sure that it can be mended. And be just as strong or even stronger than before (again depending on the way it cracked...)

The resin thing can happen with mountain biking, but then again, it can be easily fixed. we're talking about the "glossy" resin that covers the fiber (and happens to strengthen it) not the fiber that impregnates the fiber and keep it in shape. The latter won't rub off under normal cycling conditions.
Quote:
CF is still too new to know how it really fairs with age, there are people riding around on ancient steel frames, and very old aluminium frames, s we know those can last, we simply don't with CF. we'll find out though. I have too many bikes already, if I were to upgrade, I'm not sure if CF is the way I'd go...

IMO, quality fiber doesn't age, it doesn't have a fatigue life like aluminium, steel or titanium. Look at how much old colnago CF frames sell for !

Also take a look at how many things are made from CF these days : airplanes' wings, Formula 1 cars etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back