Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2,476 of 4,425
Tell me about it. Over here, my money has been so tight for so long, I'm suspicious. Was it ever 
size]
really mine?
size]

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #2,479 of 4,425
The ss is finished, it looks ok, I'm yet to ride it (it's dark) and it will be a few days till I can. pictures to come when it's light and I get a chance to.
Also I want a half link for the chain, it's a little slack for my liking even with a chain tensioner. so I'll pick one up tomorrow and sort it out, also the pedals are crap,
but they'll do for now.
Only problem is...
I really enjoyed building it up...
So now I want to do it again... but I have 3 bikes already, and no money. and no good reason to do it again :c

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,480 of 4,425
Quote:
The ss is finished, it looks ok, I'm yet to ride it (it's dark) and it will be a few days till I can. pictures to come when it's light and I get a chance to.
Also I want a half link for the chain, it's a little slack for my liking even with a chain tensioner. so I'll pick one up tomorrow and sort it out, also the pedals are crap,
but they'll do for now.
Only problem is...
I really enjoyed building it up...
So now I want to do it again... but I have 3 bikes already, and no money. and no good reason to do it again :c

3 bikes... hopefully you have people to share them with 
wink.gif

PCB bikes are the way to go!

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,481 of 4,425
I just bought my first bike since no idea how long... Really excited to get my hands on it (it's being built now).

Thought Head-Fi was as good a place as any to ask around if people had any good iOS apps and the like they use for riding, tracking the rides, directions, etc.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2,482 of 4,425
youll never be happy until you get a garmin :wink: 

Quote:
I just bought my first bike since no idea how long... Really excited to get my hands on it (it's being built now).

Thought Head-Fi was as good a place as any to ask around if people had any good iOS apps and the like they use for riding, tracking the rides, directions, etc.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,483 of 4,425
Quote:

Starvra or something like that..

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,484 of 4,425
Quote:

strava is huge and has the most support.  it works good if you are in good service areas and is by far the best "cycling app"
i also use icycle which also works as advertised but no support.  GPS is the only option if you aren't in USA (here in Canada most of my riding is in the mountains with no cell service, but even the backcountry in the USA seems to have good cell support) 

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,485 of 4,425
Thanks for the tips about Strava. I gave it a look and it looks really useful. I live in San Francisco so signal isn't really going to be a problem for me and once I get downtown I know my way around well enough that I won't need it.

One other thing I'm curious about is where you guys sit on helmets and if you have any recommendations? I'm kind of 50/50 right now after spending the morning reading through a number of articles and papers on the subject. It seems to strike me as more a matter of personal preference rather than absolute benefit in personal safety. In the end, the only piece I ever found that struck me as truly neutral was by a scientist who came away with the conclusion of he doesn't wear one because he's not a fan of them but in terms of whether or not they help he had no idea. Seemed for every reason to wear a helmet there was one not to, and the reverse.

So while I ponder whether or not I will wear a helmet at all (SF doesn't require it) I was curious about what people might suggest. Bonus points for something low profile.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,486 of 4,425
Quote:
Thanks for the tips about Strava. I gave it a look and it looks really useful. I live in San Francisco so signal isn't really going to be a problem for me and once I get downtown I know my way around well enough that I won't need it.

One other thing I'm curious about is where you guys sit on helmets and if you have any recommendations? I'm kind of 50/50 right now after spending the morning reading through a number of articles and papers on the subject. It seems to strike me as more a matter of personal preference rather than absolute benefit in personal safety. In the end, the only piece I ever found that struck me as truly neutral was by a scientist who came away with the conclusion of he doesn't wear one because he's not a fan of them but in terms of whether or not they help he had no idea. Seemed for every reason to wear a helmet there was one not to, and the reverse.

So while I ponder whether or not I will wear a helmet at all (SF doesn't require it) I was curious about what people might suggest. Bonus points for something low profile.

I ALWAYS, absolutely under any circumstances, ALWAYS wear a helmet... If I don't have a helmet, I dare not ride... Whether it's my fullface for downhill shredding or just a regular one for light trail riding, I need protection. No matter how experienced you are, my helmet always saved me countless times.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #2,487 of 4,425
Quote:

Are you referring to possible brain rotation on impact because of wearing a helmet? It's still a rare thing compared to traditional head trauma from impact without a helmet. Other than that I'm not sure how a helmet doesn't help. They're not immunity bubbles to protect you from everything.

I always wear a helmet whether mountain or road biking. I've actually needed it twice in about 15 years of riding. I'll take my chances wearing a helmet opposed to not wearing one.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #2,488 of 4,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocswing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Other than that I'm not sure how a helmet doesn't help. They're not immunity bubbles to protect you from everything.

I agree, but the statistics are still pretty weird. In towns where helmet laws are applied the number of head injuries actually increases !

I wonder if using a different kind of helmet might change anything to that.

My nephew wears one of these :

This a view from the back.

It goes really down to the neck and behind the ears, an area that's left completely exposed by traditional helmets

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,489 of 4,425
Quote:

I just recently had a bicycle accident. I've lost a couple of hours so I have no idea what happened to cause it. As it is though, I'm suffering from a concussion but based on the condition of my helmet, it terrifies me to think how much worse it could have been.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,490 of 4,425
When I started riding my Road bike in and around Los Angeles, it was definitely a hazardous exercise. But I still enjoyed not wearing one - felt so good! Then, I went on to become a Track member at the Velodrome and helmets were mandatory. 

I quickly got used to wearing one and wisely went to the LBS and bought one for the streets. Glad I did, as I have had my share of bad falls and barely escaping other traffic accidents involving trucks-cars-bikes-pedestrians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back