Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,491 of 4,427
That's the thing, though. If you helmet broke then it didn't work, by the admission of the engineers who make them. As said, the stats don't back up either side of the argument. What's more, there's some evidence that not wearing a helmet makes drivers more wary of you as they might see you as more vulnerable. There is no yes or no answer to the question.

I'd still like to see some helmet recommendations all the same.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,492 of 4,427
The helmet didn't break but it certainly took a heck of a beating. Based on that I'm glad it was the helmet and not my head that took that beating, I'd be dealing with far worse than the concussion.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #2,493 of 4,427
Just replaced my bike chain, but I probably should have took off a link to shorten it. I had to adjust it every week even though I'm tightening the axle as much as I could.
I was debating on going with fixed gear, but I have too many hills on my commute.  I wonder if it's because I'm hill climbing all the time that it makes my chain loose or is it because I'm going pushing too hard on starts?  Gotta go fast. >>>>>>>>>>>>

Also, here is something I'm working on, but my Fiio E7 is junk as a portable because one side of the sound keeps cutting out.  USB works fine O_O.  I might have to pick up another cheap amp because the phone can't get loud enough.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #2,494 of 4,427
Honest question to those of you who attach speakers to your bikes (particularly during group rides): Do you honestly believe everyone else likes the same music as you, or do you just not care what you're subjecting other people to?

That's the thing, though. If you helmet broke then it didn't work, by the admission of the engineers who make them.

That's not true in the slightest.  In fact, if your helmet takes a blow (accident or otherwise), even if you can't see damage you should replace it because it may have absorbed the blow internally.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,495 of 4,427
Quote:
Honest question to those of you who attach speakers to your bikes (particularly during group rides): Do you honestly believe everyone else likes the same music as you, or do you just not care what you're subjecting other people to?

That's not true in the slightest.  In fact, if your helmet takes a blow (accident or otherwise), even if you can't see damage you should replace it because it may have absorbed the blow internally.

Caring too much about what other people think is your problem, not mine.  You probably care about the car you drive, the clothes you wear, or how big your house is compared to your associates too?

Cars will destroy the environemnt, while I destroy some ears.  It's an even trade.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #2,496 of 4,427
Can't say I agree with you on that one, buddy.

In my own experience, when people ride their bikes, they're either doing it to train, so they don't really welcome the distraction and are too fast for you anyway. Or, for those that are commuting, they'll probably have some sort of ear buds in anyway, safety argument aside,so they won't hear what ever you're blasting put of those little POS speakers anyhow.

You may want to try out something like this instead. Way cleaner looking, and probably louder, God forbid. Now, we just need to get you some proper bike lighting hardware and you'll be all set.

I don't believe you're quite the rebel you may be claiming to be.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,497 of 4,427
I have a 200 lumens CREE LED flashlight taped to my bike.  That is good enough.  I could care less how it looks, as long as it works.  Lights specifically for bikes are the biggest rip off.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2,498 of 4,427
Quote:

Cars will destroy the environemnt, while I destroy some ears.  It's an even trade.

Classic "two wrongs" justification
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2,499 of 4,427
Quote:

Classic "two wrongs" justification
rolleyes.gif

Exactly.

I'm sure that the SQ will suck hard anywyay.

@PFUlMTL A chain doesn't get loose (not like a belt), so you should buy a chain tensionner or just take a link off.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #2,500 of 4,427
I'm trying to avoid putting anything extra my handlebars, so a portable speaker up there is not a good idea for me.  That's why my flashlight is on my frame pointed downward.  Riding at night, I have to look downward often because the streets are littered with glass and rocks.  Because....I live in the hood.

Having some speakers on the bottom of the frame is a good spot because it's out of the way.

*edit, I just saw this, and I think I'll be picking up this soundbar for a laptop.  Has four speakers with a built in amp and doesn't require batteries.  So much for DIY.  I wouldn't expect good sound quality from it though, but I don't think good sound quality is going to happen on a bike for cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPBDZE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,501 of 4,427
Quote:
Caring too much about what other people think is your problem, not mine.  You probably care about the car you drive, the clothes you wear, or how big your house is compared to your associates too?

It's not about caring what other people think. It's about showing some common courtesy. If you don't have your music playing really loud it's fine, but if you're blasting it and just annoying other bikers that's just being rude.

Also an even trade would be doing something to damage cars, not other people enjoying the same activity you are. You're clearly going to do what you want, but the attitude of your response is horrible.

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #2,502 of 4,427
It's not about caring what other people think. It's about showing some common courtesy. If you don't have your music playing really loud it's fine, but if you're blasting it and just annoying other bikers that's just being rude.

Also an even trade would be doing something to damage cars, not other people enjoying the same activity you are. You're clearly going to do what you want, but the attitude of your response is horrible.

I don't think that set of little speakers are going to disturb anyone anyways. Lol

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #2,503 of 4,427
Quote:
I don't think that set of little speakers are going to disturb anyone anyways. Lol

You never know.

The latest fashion where I live is to use crappy beats and crank them to 11 while wearing them around one's neck. That's enough to drive me mad.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2,504 of 4,427
Have people adopted the, putting a speaker in the grill of their car, so their stereo appears louder then it really is, thing?

They did that in Orlando and now its picking up, here in the East Bay.

Drives me mad. No pun intended.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2,505 of 4,427
Quote:
Have people adopted the, putting a speaker in the grill of their car, so their stereo appears louder then it really is, thing?

They did that in Orlando and now its picking up, here in the East Bay.

Drives me mad. No pun intended.

You also have the poor man's option.

Cranking it up with the windows open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back